TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Evaluate my Equipment

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Daskid, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Daskid

Daskid Member

Hey all!

I got my proposal today and I wanted to get your feedback on the equipment they plan to use:

Solar Panel: LG340N1C-V5 solar modules (30 units)
    Inverter: SolarEdge SE7600H-US (1 unit)
    Optimizer: SolarEdge optimizers (30 units)
    Misc: SolarEdge cellular GSM kit 12-month monitoring (1 unit)

Estimated year 1 production: 17,639 kWh
    System size: 10.2 kW

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

• Like x 1
  2. RoBoRaT

RoBoRaT Zero Farts Given!

GSM Kit should be 12 year, right?

3. Daskid

Daskid Member

You are correct. My bad eyes. Thank you!

• Like x 1
  4. NuShrike

NuShrike Member

You may clip often in the summer with an inverter ratio of 1.34 especially for Inland Empire. But the smog may offset that.

Your maximum system efficiency with that inverter is ~74.5% Could be higher.

• Informative x 2
  5. Daskid

Daskid Member

Thanks for the feedback! Which inverter do you recommend with this setup to prevent the clipping?

6. miimura

miimura Active Member

You have 10.2kW of panels and only 7.6kW of inverter. That is where the clipping comes from. We would have to know more about your installation (main panel rating, main breaker size, etc.) to know if you could step up to the 10kW inverter or two 5kW inverters. It's most likely not worth the expense to avoid the clipping.

• Informative x 3
  7. JHellow

JHellow Member

You will get better efficiency with these panels using Enphase IQ7+ microinverters. I have the LG Neon R panels, 360 watt, and am losing only about 10% to clipping during the summer.

• Informative x 2
  8. Daskid

Daskid Member

Makes sense. I was told that the panels are rated at 340W and my main breaker is at 200A. I’m not sure what else is needed to determine if it’s worth the upgrade.

Interesting. Sales rep told me the Enphase microinverters clip the signal more than the SolarEdge. I guess it depends on which model you get. I will inquire about that. Thanks!

9. Cycle11111

Cycle11111 Member

I have 22 LG panels and SolarEdge with optimizers and 2PWs - 7.2kw system and occasionally peak at 7kw but normally at 6.2kw. The big determiner is the heat as the panels are less efficient when they get super warm - I am in Truckee and in the spring I would see over 7kw but now in the summer back to 6.2/6.3 peak. System in general has been awesome.

• Like x 1
  10. Daskid

Daskid Member

What’s your inverter rating?

11. Cycle11111

Cycle11111 Member

I will look tomorrow

• Like x 1
  12. RoBoRaT

RoBoRaT Zero Farts Given!

#12 RoBoRaT, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    I recommend going up, If the home load calculation can support a 10kW inverter.

My 10.7 kW LG335 panels on 7.6 kW inverter in the same geo location clips at 7.8 kW from 12 PM to 4 PM (since May to Present). The ~$250 upgrade to SE10000H maybe worth it if NO OTHER cost is involved with this change.

My sales rep quoted $250 to change from one 3.8 kW to 5.0 kW Solar Edge inverter. The orig plan was for 2 5.0 kW inverter but later limited to 7.6 due to load restrictions.

20190622_213947.jpg
    20190721_070403.jpg

• Informative x 1
  13. Daskid

Daskid Member

I appreciate the info! Thanks!

14. Pale_Rider

Pale_Rider Member

What a bizarre response about the 11400 inverter. I’ve got two of them and have never had an issue with any of my home automation stuff... First I’ve ever heard of that...

15. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Hey Daskid. I am in the IE also near Lake Mathews. I just got 45 330W Solarcity panels installed wtih 2 SolarEdge SE7600H-US with power optimizers by Tesla Energy. I also have a 200A panel connection. Am wondering why they would restrict the the inverter in your design. I also got 2 powerwalls also. During the first turn on test for the solar portion the inverters was registering about 6kw each at about 3pm. Just wondering why they would design that way. I am still waiting on PTO from SCE to turn on the system to see what the max output will be.

16. Dan123

Dan123 Member

What’s the orientation of the solar panels? Are they all facing in one direction, or are they split between different directions? This may affect the sizing of your inverter. If they are facing in one direction, then you should ask for a bigger inverter.

17. Dan123

Dan123 Member

If your panel is 200amp, then you can get 7600watt inverter (unless you derate your main breaker to 150, or upgrade your panel).

18. meeb

meeb Member

Couldn't one do the tie-in via supply side connection, avoiding the issues with derating the main breaker or upgrading the panel?

19. Daskid

Daskid Member

The panels are facing SW and SE due to the roof structure of the house. I didn’t want them to put a panel on any north-facing roof.

I was able to talk to them and upgraded my inverter from 7600 W to 10000 W at no cost. So I think I’m in a good place. Thank you all who commented in this thread!

• Like x 1
  20. Daskid

Daskid Member

Hey Banshee, I was able to upgrade to a 10000W inverter at no cost. So I’m hoping I will be utilizing the full potential of the solar array. I didn’t get the PW’s, but I plan to add a couple units in the future.

On a side note, how long have you been waiting on PTO from SCE?