TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Evangelizing the EV Charging Infrastructure

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by GlennAlanBerry, Aug 13, 2013.

1. GlennAlanBerry

One easy thing that Tesla owners can do as they go about their daily business, it to make a point of visiting and at least briefly charging from any public charging stations that are relatively close to where they live and work. If these stations are connected to a business, you should try to give them some business, and make a point of letting them know that you appreciate the fact that they have made charging available to the public. If they are interested, you can even show them how they show up in Recargo and PlugShare on your phone.

It is also pretty easy to check-in or report on your experience with applications like Recargo, PlugShare, etc. If you run into any charging locations that are not on Recargo or PlugShare, take a moment to add them.

One thing I am trying to do is to visit the ten nearest stations (to my house) that show up in Recargo over the next few weeks, charging at each one, and checking in. I think it is important to show some usage and interest in the EV charging infrastructure as it starts to develop. Even though you may do the vast majority of charging at home, exercising and confirming the EV charging infrastructure is doing a public service for other EV owners.

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I agree, and make a point of this myself. Often I will "tweet" out a thank-you to the host with a photo, and will usually get a thank-you or re-tweet in response.

3. Ven Rala

Ven Rala Member

Though I don't do it often enough, I have tried to visit any charging station at any place of business I am visiting (had a meeting at a hotel recently and I pugged in for the couple hours since no one was using it and got an extra 20 miles of charge). I will even park a few blocks out of the way if I am going someplace further from home that has a charger. I always try to check-in on plugshare and try to add some helpful comments (paid/free, timings, easy access or not, etc).

Tweeting the business is a great idea. Part of the reason I don't go to more charging stations locally is that they often charge $1-2/hr and parking rates on top which is not worthwhile if its a 5 mile trip and I have 150 miles of charge.

I would say that it is sometimes surprising how many free chargers there are in very convenient locations, especially when I may have to pay $8-10/hr for parking an ICE and instead I get free parking and charging.

4. GlennAlanBerry

I reached out to Parker Adventist Hospital http://www.parkerhospital.org/ on Twitter (after charging there), and I got a nice response yesterday. They have a number of GCFI 120V outlets in weather-proof boxes on light poles in their parking lot, and they are on Recargo. L1 charging is only slightly better than nothing for a Tesla, but it is a start. It is useful for a Volt or Leaf, for example. The hospital was the closest place to my house on Recargo. Next, I will hit some of the nearby Walgreens.

5. GlennAlanBerry

Yesterday, I tried to charge at the nearest Walgreens (which I have charged at before, for free), and it prompted me for my ChargePoint card (which it did not recognize). Even though the car and the charger were talking to each other, no charge...

After that, I drove to Sturm Hall on the University of Denver campus and charged at their ChargePoint charger (which did recognize my ChargePoint card). That charger is performing poorly, only putting out 189V at 25 amps. I have called ChargePoint and told them about that charger. I also added that charger to Recargo, and checked in.