Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EVannex Lighted "T" and your MS Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really, really want the rear lighted "T". I've never done anything like this to a car I've owned in the past. It's just not my nature. But this aftermarket item seems like something that should be standard on a Tesla!
$300 is pretty outrageous for this - but what isn't in the world of Tesla...?

Does anyone have this on their car while still under warranty? Did you get any warranty work done since having this installed? Did it make a difference if you did the install vs some other professional installer?
I've only owned my MS for about a month and have not yet visited a SC. My concern is that they are going to take one look at it and refuse to fix anything. Like they'll see the lighted T and say "Sorry sir, your loose armrest isn't covered!" or some other completely unrelated do-dad that needs something..

Can you ease my concern?

Reactions: Shaggy
The only warranty concerns would be with anything associated with the actual install of the lighted emblem. If you got a leak where the emblem is installed, It's your issue but if your power window stopped working, that is completely unrelated to the modification and would still be covered.

This is not an issue to be worried about. All the lighted T's do is tap 12v power, which dash cams and many other accessories do. There is no interference with the car's electrical system and the amperage draw is minimal. There is no way your warranty would be voided if you install this device. I invented the device and have had them on my car almost since the beginning. When I take the car to Tesla for service the techs admire the device and nobody has ever raises warranty issues.

Reactions: Akikiki
... There is no way your warranty would be voided if you install this device. I invented the device and have had them on my car almost since the beginning.

Yes, I agree that the way a simple LED and sensor taps into the car is not an issue and wouldn't affect warranty. My bigger concern is that the trim pieces were removed, various connections were unplugged and then plugged back in, couple of holes were drilled (metal shavings were created) etc.. I have no experience with Tesla service. I have quite a bit of experience with the Camping/RV manufactures. Companies like Thor Motor Coach would have a hissy-fit over something as simple as this. They LOOK for excuses to get out of warranties. I hard wired a dashcam into my 2016 Thor Outlaw instead of using the 12v accessory outlet. The company tried to deny my warranty claim for a stuck slide-out! Their reasoning was not that I actually hardwired it. It was that I opened up an overhead access panel that I shouldn't have in order to use a map light to tap the power I needed.

So what I'm hearing, is that: Tesla does not fit into that slimy kind of category...

Thanks!

Yes, I agree that the way a simple LED and sensor taps into the car is not an issue and wouldn't affect warranty. My bigger concern is that the trim pieces were removed, various connections were unplugged and then plugged back in, couple of holes were drilled (metal shavings were created) etc.. I have no experience with Tesla service. I have quite a bit of experience with the Camping/RV manufactures. Companies like Thor Motor Coach would have a hissy-fit over something as simple as this. They LOOK for excuses to get out of warranties. I hard wired a dashcam into my 2016 Thor Outlaw instead of using the 12v accessory outlet. The company tried to deny my warranty claim for a stuck slide-out! Their reasoning was not that I actually hardwired it. It was that I opened up an overhead access panel that I shouldn't have in order to use a map light to tap the power I needed.

So what I'm hearing, is that: Tesla does not fit into that slimy kind of category...

Thanks!

In my experience that's correct. I've virtually have had the interior of my car taken apart (for soundproofing) with nary a comment from Tesla. That applies to all of the other mods I've made.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4
I really, really want the rear lighted "T". I've never done anything like this to a car I've owned in the past. It's just not my nature. But this aftermarket item seems like something that should be standard on a Tesla!
$300 is pretty outrageous for this - but what isn't in the world of Tesla...?

Does anyone have this on their car while still under warranty? Did you get any warranty work done since having this installed? Did it make a difference if you did the install vs some other professional installer?
I've only owned my MS for about a month and have not yet visited a SC. My concern is that they are going to take one look at it and refuse to fix anything. Like they'll see the lighted T and say "Sorry sir, your loose armrest isn't covered!" or some other completely unrelated do-dad that needs something..

Can you ease my concern?
agree. again this goes back to tesla making the s a more unique worthy ev and more sporty/luxurious. After the 3 is avail the s will suffer sales because the the 3 has the same tech-maybe even newer then the s in some cases and its 1/2 or more the price. I agree tesla should consider even small things like lighted t and tesla across the rear and performance pedals/coat hooks/ arm rests/massagers...ect to spruce up that its worth 2-3x the model 3. So far the people who have driven in the 3 and the s say the diff is very small and not 2-3x the cost.

Like ARTSI I'have had my lighted appliqué and front and rear "T" on my Model S for over a year. Numerous trips to the service center
with no problem's. It should be noted that some have stated that TESLA my charge you for removing the appliqué and T's when you go to trade your car in. The few that have traded their cars in have not said that Tesla did anything regarding the appliqué or "T's".

The new T's now only have one hole instead of two. The double sided tape should seal the hole anyway, and if for any reason you go back to the original T the double side tape will again seal the hole. Just looking at it you will never know.

Reactions: Lifeinabox
@ LMichel The Rear "T" gets its power form the break light and the license plate light.
The new front "T" gets its power form the fuse box. You can now set the front "T" up to come on with your park/running lights or you can hook up an RF controller and turn the front "T" on via the controller. If you use the RF controller you also have the option to have the front "T" Go to strobe mode ( this can be turned on, on the fly ) you can speed the strobe mode up or slow it down.

It should only take about 15 minutes to install the front "T" for the model "X" and face lift "S". The nose cone "S" may take 5 minutes longer. I would definitely get the lighted appliqué and install that before the light rear "T". Once you have the lighted appliqué installed you can add the "T" any time no need to remove any molding from the trunk once the appliqué is installled.

It should take about 15 to 20 minutes to install the rear "T" once you have the appliqué installed.

This is not an issue to be worried about. All the lighted T's do is tap 12v power, which dash cams and many other accessories do. There is no interference with the car's electrical system and the amperage draw is minimal. There is no way your warranty would be voided if you install this device. I invented the device and have had them on my car almost since the beginning. When I take the car to Tesla for service the techs admire the device and nobody has ever raises warranty issues.

Yea, I've seen your stuff. You are a "Mod God" for sure. Nice stuff. Agree with what you say assuming an installer doesn't short out the 12V or other stupid mistakes while installing. I've seen a couple massive screw-ups by "pro installers" trying to put in cameras and other things. Tesla won't cover those mistakes.

I was thinking about putting in the lighted T myself, but couldn't help but notice the Evannex disclaimer to have a professional installer do this work by mentioning it about oh 19,456 times :D Frankly I trust my skills a lot more than any "pro installer."

Yea, I've seen your stuff. You are a "Mod God" for sure. Nice stuff. Agree with what you say assuming an installer doesn't short out the 12V or other stupid mistakes while installing. I've seen a couple massive screw-ups by "pro installers" trying to put in cameras and other things. Tesla won't cover those mistakes.

I was thinking about putting in the lighted T myself, but couldn't help but notice the Evannex disclaimer to have a professional installer do this work by mentioning it about oh 19,456 times :D Frankly I trust my skills a lot more than any "pro installer."

For sure you don’t need a professional installer.

• Love
Let me second what, you don't need a professional installer. If you have never done this it helps to see one being installed, or at
least watch a video of an install. Some installers just over charge for the install by building for 8 hours.

The big thing is getting the sequence of taking the molding out and putting it back. Once you have that the rest is more common sense then skill.

The front "T" is supper EZ to install should take you maybe 15 minutes. Did the first rear "T" for the model 3. It is a lot
simpler to install the rear "T":eek:n the Model 3 then on the "S" or :X: The model 3 may take an hour or so, the "S" and "X"
will take two hour plus if you run into problems.