Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evaporator coil question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the evaporator coil is used for cooling, I can see where the condensation could cause your air filters to get wet, in other words stink. But is the evaporator coil also used as a heater coil? If not where does the heat come from ? Is the coolant reversed and he pushed back through the same air conditioning coil?

So the article says the cooling on a heat pump Tesla is like a water chilled system. Does that mean we don't get the nasty mildew funk smell like on traditional car AC systems that run the air through the evaporator core? I haven't used the AC on my Tesla mainly for this reason as it's not my primary car and I don't like to park it for too long without throughly drying the ducts

So the article says the cooling on a heat pump Tesla is like a water chilled system. Does that mean we don't get the nasty mildew funk smell like on traditional car AC systems that run the air through the evaporator core? I haven't used the AC on my Tesla mainly for this reason as it's not my primary car and I don't like to park it for too long without throughly drying the ducts
Nope, you can still get it. Replace cabin filter and that clears it up.

If the evaporator coil is used for cooling, I can see where the condensation could cause your air filters to get wet, in other words stink. But is the evaporator coil also used as a heater coil? If not where does the heat come from ? Is the coolant reversed and he pushed back through the same air conditioning coil?
The quick and dirty is that the musty smell comes from ambient air condensation that does not dry up properly. You get condensation when warm air is cooled. It doesn’t matter how or where it is cooled.

Most cars put the evaporator inside the cabin. So, that is where most of the condensation will happen. And it will continue to happen inside the car as the now cooled air flows through the system and mixes with warmer air. If the condensation is collected and dries quickly, no opportunity for mildew to grow. If it sits somewhere, then mildew.

That should probably do it. Basically, you are evaporating any moisture that may be left behind in the air path. Though it should not be necessary in a modern vehicle if everything is working as designed.
Every new vehicle I've owned since 2000 will smell musty the next time I turn on the vents after using the A/C unless I spend time clearing the vents. Like, if I just shut down the car while running the A/C, the next morning the air will smell terrible.

Every new vehicle I've owned since 2000 will smell musty the next time I turn on the vents after using the A/C unless I spend time clearing the vents. Like, if I just shut down the car while running the A/C, the next morning the air will smell terrible.
Except you don't 'shut down' a Tesla. My car typically will run the A/C for a few minutes after I exit the car - I can hear it running. That said, I did have the interior filter replaced after about 35k miles. More preventative entering summer, than anything.

Lots of people say to change the cabin filter but it doesn’t really seem to do anything unless it is really nasty.

My Tesla never runs the AC after I leave the vehicle. It may run the blower for a few seconds but it’s not enough to clear the vents.

I normally blast the vents with heat to clear them.
Except you don't 'shut down' a Tesla. My car typically will run the A/C for a few minutes after I exit the car - I can hear it running. That said, I did have the interior filter replaced after about 35k miles. More preventative entering summer, than anything.m