Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Even After $100 Billion, Self-Driving Cars Are Going Nowhere

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Dewg and 2101Guy
AV doubt is raining down on the hopeful and the wishful tinkerers this month.
Must be the season?

They were supposed to be the future. But prominent detractors—including Anthony Levandowski, who pioneered the industry—are getting louder as the losses get bigger. Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

How many more people have to die before regulators wake up and close down this farce of a toy car company? My myopic grandmother can see better than the pathetic excuse the company calls cameras. And for $15k?! I can hire a teenager for min wage to sit on the roof and call out obstacles better than the fisher price laughably bad adas system, for less money.

Elon Musk said they have data that prove those using FSD beta are much less likely to be an accident than those that aren't. I have my doubts, but that is what he said.
In terms of the thread title, Cruise and Waymo seem to be going places.
Disclaimer: I didn't read the article because title is obviously wrong.

Reactions: clydeiii
Elon Musk said they have data that prove those using FSD beta are much less likely to be an accident than those that aren't. I have my doubts, but that is what he said.
In terms of the thread title, Cruise and Waymo seem to be going places.
Disclaimer: I didn't read the article because title is obviously wrong.
They DO have the data. Bet it is true and I think it is a combination that DOES make it less accident prone. Beta generally avoids lots of complacent accidents like a car weaving towards you in another lane you don't see and......MOST important we are on a knifes edge watching every move on the ready to take over when it does do something boneheaded or dangerous.

I got my FSD update on model 3 about a week ago and I was extremely disappointed. I didn't expect it to be as good as Musk boasted. I did expect it to be very rough. However, I didn't expect it to be this bad. The only positive thing I can say is that it's better than auto-steering when it comes to local driving.

Simply put, if its FSD were scored by Testla's own saftey score beta, I bet it'd get 20 or below out of 100. I have motion sickness when FSD is on.
It does not know how to turn left most of time. When it makes a turn, it drives like nobody would drive (wide, dangerously close to the curve when turning right). Both its acceleration and deceleration tend to be rather abrupt (I chose 'average/standard'; should I try 'chill')? ) . Entering highway is ok-ish, but exiting is hit and miss and most of time, I have to take over. It keeps missing one highway exit (I went there 4 times since getting FSD beta).

I wonder how some people could drive from SF to LA barely intervening (if ever). Is there anything wrong with the hardware on my model 3.?

The driverless car revolution is stuck in the slow lane

There is still no consensus on how autonomous vehicles should work

On Sept. 30, the Israel-based self-driving tech firm, which Intel bought five years ago,
finally filed for an IPO. Only now, it’s looking to sell fewer shares at a smaller valuation.

It's not a great time for self-driving tech startups. The ones that managed an IPO in the
past two years have lost a combined 81 percent of their market value, dropping from a
total of nearly $51 billion offering time to a mere $9 billion this month.

I experienced the industry over twenty years ago and it's almost depressing things haven't taken off since then with all the advances in sensors, semis, software, wireless, IT, AI, plus associated cost reductions.

Just like an asset gatherer carny, the automated vehicle industry carnies overstate capabilities and future projections. And as always the online influencer gets rewarded for playing along. There's no sound reason to cut any of these folks slack.

I'm hopeful the industry has a breakthrough. But, if it's to be there should be significant and timely progress from hardware and software revisions unlike the arguably questionable FSDb improvements we experience on the road today.

Last edited: