TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Even better look (maybe) at the Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by igotzzoom, Aug 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

2. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

3. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

Drat, and double drat! Was so excited for a moment. Guess we'll have to wait 'til March (at least).

4. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

The car in the far right of the pic looks like a Model S, no? It's much wider than the half-sedan/half-CUV Model 3 and it definitely resembles the S...

I will say I HOPE that right-most car is a 3, because it looks low, wide, and sexy under that cover.

5. RobinF

RobinF Member

Why would they have a rough clay model of a Model X car nearly in production?

6. gjunky

gjunky Waiting for the Model ☰

And in the video (60 minutes Australia) they were scrapping some clay from it so I assume they don't care anymore.

7. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

I suspect that the covered car on the far right is the Model 3 sedan. The "weirdmobile" half-n-half is simply the two variants (CUV and sedan) derived from the same Model 3 platform, siamesed for whatever reason. The exposed car on the far left is just an early Model X clay.

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Not TOO wide I hope. I would trade some interior room, appearance, and cornering stance, for the ability to fit in compact parking spaces comfortably.

I appreciate that many mid-sized cars (like Prius, LEAF, etc.) are < 70" wide.

9. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Ditto on that. The Model S is an extremely wide car, hopefully the Model 3 doesn't repeat that.

10. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

1) OP: That is not Model ≡.

2) Model ≡ is bound to be wider than contemporaries from BMW, AUDI, and Mercedes-Benz.

11. Vitold

Vitold Member

Increased width has advantages (safety, stability, storage) and Tesla can afford it due to added rigidity from battery. However, increased width adds weight. If battery pack will occupy floor space as it in MS width and wheel base will be a function of battery pack size at maximum capacity.

With that said, if motor's are to be interchangeable between platforms (which makes sense), motor size/mounting may dictate minimum width.

12. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado Member

Increased width also increases drag, due to a greater frontal area.

13. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I don't expect it to be less than 70" wide, but still substantially less than the Model S.