Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Even if you buy no options at all, this will still be an amazing car!"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lol, when was this nonsense spewed. Very bad info. BTW, the Tesla Model S P100D out accelerates the $1.48 million NIO EP9, so I guess that makes the Tesla a "hypercar". Too funny and naive.
I am not aware of any vehicle being called a 'hypercar' prior to their being capable of 0-60 MPH in less than 3.5 seconds. As I've already pointed out, the Tesla Model S P100D is a bargain. I absolutely despise the term 'Sports Sedan', because I personally prefer Coupes and Two-Seaters. So no, the Model S, in any trim level, is not a hypercar -- it just happens to be able to embarrass them for a whole lot less money, while transporting more people, and cargo, in a more practical form factor. That is rather awesome, in my opinion.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
Be fair, and use street prices. I paid $25.5k for my Prius Prime OTD (not including TTL)
It was the base version, so I compare to the $35k Model 3 -- though I suspect with some favoring of the Model 3 since I expect to pay extra for dynamic CC.
What the Flaming [FIG] do you mean by, "Be fair, and use street prices."...? We are speaking of the manufacturer's price for Tesla products, so it is perfectly fair to go by the manufacturer's prices for Fusion Energi and VOLT. Those cars cost 'about the same' as the base Model 3.

Shall I look up the MSRP for the Prius Prime? Let's see... The Toyota Prius Prime starts at $27,100 and has even less fully electric range than the Fusion Energi. Whoops! Maybe not... I thought Ford said that car had a 30 mile electric range? Apparently, the EPA disagrees. Though, sure, the Prius Prime has a little bit more than the $44,100 BMW 330e (and i8) -- yay. So after driving those 25 miles on electricity, you get to burn gasoline for another 600+ miles. Whoop-de-doo.

Compare Side-by-Side: Toyota Prius Prime, Chevrolet VOLT, Ford Fusion Energi, Tesla Model S 75 | EPA
upload_2017-7-29_20-37-29.png

upload_2017-7-29_20-38-28.png

Per the EPA, of these cars the Model S 75 would have the same up-stream GHG amount as a Fusion Energi (240 g/mile), not quite as good as VOLT (210 g/mile), and slightly worse than Prius Prime (180 g/mile) where I currently live through the local grid. But since those cars also use gasoline, their combined amounts come to more:

240 g/mile ___ Model S 75
258 g/mile ___ Prius Prime
261 g/mile ___ VOLT
352 g/mile ___ Fusion Energi

So... PHEV loses in each case.

Model 3 looks nice. The interior reviews from the handover rides are glowing (of course, they're from fanboys and Tesla owners). But... it's a brand new car that might have a few kinks to iron out production-wise and it's a bit pricey for the "real" average American. All that considered, do I want to pass up the opportunity to give this vehicle a chance? See if it might be the change that really starts the EV revolution? Will future generations look back and say "what a mistake that was!", or "this is how making the world a better place began"? I think the biggest advantage Tesla has over EV competitors is the supercharger network. If that can keep up with demand, I'd say buying a Tesla is a no-brainer.

Once they get the ball rolling on production, they should really consider advertising. They need to get the word out on range, supercharger network, super low maintenance, comfortable quiet ride, speed off the line, and zero emissions.
As hard as it is for most people on this site to believe, hardly anyone - male or female - knows anything about EVs, except that they exist. That needs to change!

Once they get the ball rolling on production, they should really consider advertising. They need to get the word out on range, supercharger network, super low maintenance, comfortable quiet ride, speed off the line, and zero emissions.
As hard as it is for most people on this site to believe, hardly anyone - male or female - knows anything about EVs, except that they exist. That needs to change!
You mean when they finally catch up in 2019?

I think Model 3s hitting the streets will be advertising enough. They crowdsource their marketing.

You mean when they finally catch up in 2019?

I think Model 3s hitting the streets will be advertising enough. They crowdsource their marketing.
But hardly anyone has any real knowledge of what driving an EV is really like. They don't know the differences other than "is it all electric?" and "how far can you go?" and "how long does it take to charge?". These are the real world questions from average Joe American. They really need to educate the public, not just wait for people bumping into the occasional EV driver to give them their testimony.

Reactions: kablammyman
But hardly anyone has any real knowledge of what driving an EV is really like. They don't know the differences other than "is it all electric?" and "how far can you go?" and "how long does it take to charge?". These are the real world questions from average Joe American. They really need to educate the public, not just wait for people bumping into the occasional EV driver to give them their testimony.
I don't think they'll be able to adequately do this with TV or radio ads.

Reactions: Stirfelt
If watching a bunch of hamsters dancing around a Kia soul EV was during the Super Bowl was enough to make my husband buy it, imagine what a bunch of Tesla ads could do?!

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV
Lifetime Supercharger Access

I agree with the poster above that this won't happen. It would attract high mileage drivers planning on doing all their charging at the supercharger.

It is nuts to buy a $100K car for free electricity. It is rational to buy a $35K car with the primary motivation of never paying for fuel. These owners would clog city superchargers

Not only do I think there will never be an unlimited supercharging option for the less expensive cars, I think there will eventually be a time of use surcharge added to a standard rate.

Pricing is the way to manage superchargers for (almost) everyone's benefit.

If watching a bunch of hamsters dancing around a Kia soul EV was during the Super Bowl was enough to make my husband buy it, imagine what a bunch of Tesla ads could do?!
Here the thing is... Advertising obfuscates. Marketing illuminates. There is no 'education' that takes place in traditional advertising. It's all about attention getting. And Tesla has plenty of attention right now.

I like Coca-Cola. I like the San Francisco 49ers. But in an apparent bid to one-up Coke (who sponsor the stadium for the San Francisco Baseball GIANTS), PepsiCo bought the advertising rights to the new stadium that the 49ers built. I don't know how long their logos will be emblazoned there, but 25 years from now, when eating a hot dog in the stands, I'd still much rather have a Coke than a Pepsi.

The great thing about not advertising? No one can legitimately accuse you of 'false advertising'. I like that.

"Best block -- no be there." -- Mr. Miyagi

Yeah, people have heard of Elon Musk but they still know nothing about EVs.
Well, that is again why YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, Twitter, and other accounts exist, along with the Tesla website itself, and fan sites like this one. If someone has enough interest to do a bit of research on their own, all they need to know is easily found. And those sources of false information are easily proven wrong with a 0.7 second Google search.

The next time you feel comfortable talking to a complete stranger, see how much they know about EVs. I'll bet it's almost nothing.
Too often, what they know is FUD. At least it allows one the opportunity to dispel the FUD with actual facts. It is helpful to learn the source of the FUD, though.