Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Even on long stretches of Interstate on a road trip—does the car nag you to touch the wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even on long stretches of Interstate on a road trip—does the car nag you to touch the wheel every few seconds? What are your battle-tested tips on satisfying the needs of the software (while at the same time making sure you're performing all the duties to be a responsible driver)?

I have always felt like my car hugs the left side of the lane (although my wife, following behind me once, told me it was perfectly centered), so I usually have no problem applying a slight amount of constant torque towards the right and I never get the nag. I usually do this with my right hand at the 3 or 4 o'clock position pulling slightly down on the wheel.

With previous updates, it wasn’t too bad as others have mentioned as long as you keep your hand on the wheel. With the latest update though that seems to have changed. Even with constant pressure on the steering wheel, if there’s a long straightway then the car will check in again and ask to torque the steering wheel even if I’ve been resting my hand on the wheel. At this point, merely jiggling the steering wheel doesn’t do anything. I have to torque it to the opposite direction and hold it there for 2-3 seconds for the nag to go away. Only started happening with this last update. Get 2-3 nags on my 30 mile highway commute now when I used to get 0.

With previous updates, it wasn’t too bad as others have mentioned as long as you keep your hand on the wheel. With the latest update though that seems to have changed. Even with constant pressure on the steering wheel, if there’s a long straightway then the car will check in again and ask to torque the steering wheel even if I’ve been resting my hand on the wheel. At this point, merely jiggling the steering wheel doesn’t do anything. I have to torque it to the opposite direction and hold it there for 2-3 seconds for the nag to go away. Only started happening with this last update. Get 2-3 nags on my 30 mile highway commute now when I used to get 0.
Yup, same experience! The latest update definitely nags more.

This might be a method to check for "static weight" on the wheel which would likely be from a safety defeat device (any weight on the wheel that acts like a hand). Makes sense that they're getting super concerned now that FSD is being used more and more in tricky situations and where more people are around. It's one thing to have the car smash into a tree or something and kill the driver that was sleeping or watching YouTube on their phone... it's another to have it slam into a family in a cross walk, etc...