Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Event moved to Wednesday the 19th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe we read it wrong all along.

Maybe the ANNOUNCEMENT is new.

But not necessarily the product itself.

Hhmmmmmmm.
Elon's tweet last week ("unexpected by most") could be interpreted as such; however, the subsequent tweet from TeslaMotors unequivocally says "new Tesla product this Wednesday". Equally unequivocal is Elon's tweet today: "This is also what I was alluding to by Model 3 part 2".

So it's both a new product announcement and Model 3 Part 2 reveal. What seems to make sense is the "Part 2" details will be revealed today and one major part of that will be this new product (Tesla Vision/Glass?) which, by the way, will be incorporated into the Models S and X first.

I'm usually one to temper speculative excitement, but HOLY CR*P if this proves to be true!

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I'm buying into the Tesla Glass notion, I just hope it is included in the base M3.

I have to say, this is shaping up to be the best week ever for toys and stuff:
  1. My Chromebook Acer r13 arrived today (yay!)
  2. A Google Pixel Phone should show up sometime this week
  3. And an exciting Tesla announcement today

Reactions: Red Sage
I'd like to thank CNBC's sloppy journalism, as it allowed me to scoop up a little more than normal at a bargain price, and by the end of the day, I was already making a profit on the shares I just purchased hours earlier.

Sometimes someone else's sloppy reading comprehension skills can work in your favor.
Yeah. I think someone didn't read all the words, because they were too busy composing their own headline.

"Wait... 2018 is later than 2017, isn't it? That means there is a DELAY! COOL! I can write a quick hit piece and get THOUSANDS more views before the afternoon is over! AWESOME!!!"

Wowzers.

• Funny
Reactions: ModelNforNerd
At some level, it would almost have to be, unless a more traditional layout would be included in the base model instead.... But that would go against the "ease of manufacturing" thinking.
Exactly. And if they also offer this in the Models S and X now, this will give them the opportunity to work out the kinks and streamline production by the time the Model 3 ramps up.

Maybe they're going to announce a hatchback version of the M3 (solving the rear opening problem that some have with the publicly displayed model)? Not a full Model Y, just a slightly different version to the M3? We'll know in 3 hrs... tick... tick...

Reactions: MissAutobahn
I'm under the impression that today is an "announcement," meaning no show. I don't even know that journalists have been invited. Seems quite low key for something as awesome as Tesla Glass could be. Choices:
  1. It is Tesla Glass, but the product is sedate. -- Naaah
  2. A very Alpha-y version not ready for the stage. Perhaps to roil the stock markets ? :)
  3. Something else

It would make sense from a business standpoint to announce better range and some more details right before the Bolt starts getting sold. Kind of naughty too! :p

I didn't think it would be anything about the Model Y now or anytime soon. Why announce a product that may well cannibalize sales from the first one you have coming out?
I think the real cannibalization has already begun, and will now accelerate somewhat. That being the continued reduction of sales from 'competitors' such as the BMW 3-Series, AUDI A4, Mercedes-Benz C-Class, Jaguar XE, Alfa Romeo Giulia, Lexus IS, Acura TLX, Infiniti Q50, and Cadillac ATS. The Model ☰ Reveal Part II is going to simply KILL those cars.

Reactions: SageBrush
I think the real cannibalization has already begun, and will now accelerate somewhat. That being the continued reduction of sales from 'competitors' such as the BMW 3-Series, AUDI A4, Mercedes-Benz C-Class, Jaguar XE, Alfa Romeo Giulia, Lexus IS, Acura TLX, Infiniti Q50, and Cadillac ATS. The Model ☰ Reveal Part II is going to simply KILL those cars.
Agree 100%

Reactions: Red Sage
How about posting this in the correct forum, not the Model 3 forum? Better yet, why create a whole new thread and making work for the mods when they merge it into the existing Oct 17th thread?
I suppose I posted it in this forum because it is in direct relation to the model three. The next time you have a smartass comment you should know what you're talking about before you say something like that. But thank you for your concern

• Funny
Reactions: CTreast and Model 3
I suppose I posted it in this forum because it is in direct relation to the model three. The next time you have a smartass comment you should know what you're talking about before you say something like that. But thank you for your concern
Heh. You mean the announcement that all cars produced and in the future, "including Model 3" have Autopilot V2 hardware? The announcement where "including Model 3" was the only reference to Model 3? That one? :p

Of course, now that I've posted my second smart-assed comment, watch the yet-to-be-posted demo video be of a Model 3...