TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ever been accused of working for Tesla?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by wraithnot, Mar 19, 2013.

1. wraithnot

wraithnot Model S VIN #5785

I was driving home from work today and about a block from my house two of the guys from the neighborhood started waving frantically at me. I pulled over and rolled down the window and they asked what kind of car I was driving. It turns out they had been watching me drive home for the past two weeks and were arguing with each other about what kind of car it was. I put on the hazard lights, put the car in park, and got out and did my standard "Tesla time" routine of showing off the frunk, door handles, touch screen, etc. and answered all the standard questions about range, charging, and the like. I must have been really enthusiastic because one of the guys asked if I worked for Tesla! Has this happened to anyone else? I told him that I just really liked the car and us owners happily show off the car to anyone who is interested because Tesla doesn't advertise and we want to make sure they stay in business.

As an added bonus, I met two neighbors that I had driven by for the past four years and never actually met.

------------------
    Edit: I am helpless without my spell checker. Please pretend I spelled "accused" correctly in the title of the thread.

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Hundreds of times...I've even had some argue with me and say that because I was at an auto show, I had to be a paid representative because volunteers weren't allowed.

When I am going to spending a fair amount of time in a location like that, I often wear a "volunteer" badge because the default assumption is that you work for the company - but people believe you more when they find out you are an owner rather than an employee.

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Chad, maybe get a T-shirt made ...

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

More times than I can remember, and even by my wife!

P.S. title fixed

5. Liz G

Liz G P03056

I've been told I should work for Tesla.

6. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Many people on Seeking Alpha are convinced I'm a paid shill :biggrin: If only.

7. blakegallagher

My brother and law had a great Tesla T-shirt made with the Tsla logo on front and the patent filed by N. Tesla for the ac induction motor. When I am wearing that in a Tesla store the employee's all seem to think I must work for Tesla :)

8. Zextraterrestrial

You should get $0.01 for each post. They are accurate compared to any article :)

9. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Hah! I think my past postings here should prevent anyone from thinking I'm a paid shill. :)

10. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Exact same here. I guess it is EASY to get excited about electric vehicles and Tesla.

11. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Tesla gives me brochures by the case. I may not be paid by Tesla, but I work for Tesla. We all do.

12. toto_48313

toto_48313 CAN P #5

I also work for Tesla for free... but that's true, many people ask me if I work for them as I know so well all the details of the car... Waiting for almost 4 years, helps a lot to know so many things about the car...
    BTW, if Tesla needs help in Canada, I'll please to join the team :wink:

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

People from time to time assume I work for them. They seem to think that no mere mortal would actually own one. :confused:

14. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

It happens a lot when I am arguing for Tesla and EV's in general on Autoblog and AutoblogGreen. Occasionally it happens when I comment on a general Tesla article.

15. strider

strider Active Member

Same here. Tons of people ask me if I work for Tesla.

16. K5ING

K5ING MegaMiler

What do you guys get when you make a sale for Tesla? Hopefully you get a coffee cup, t-shirt or something. :cool:

17. wraithnot

wraithnot Model S VIN #5785

Thanks Nigel. And I agree this is a more appropriate place for the post than the general Model S forum.

It also sounds like if I've only been accused of working for Tesla once then I need to put in some more effort to catch up to everyone else :)

But I think I've already convinced at least two people to buy a Model S. Tesla should give us a free frunk net or a shirt for successful referrals. . .

18. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

I got 15% off of a baby onesie when I brought in someone and made a sale. That's it.

19. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I only got a second person at work asking about a charging spot.

And our company does electrical installs.

And electrical engineering.

And is in an industrial zoned location, with super cheap power.

And we are fighting 'cost' issues.

20. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I've probably "sold" a dozen, but I'll probably never know for certain. Definitely don't get "credit" for it!

I have scored some swag, including a nice Tesla jacket, as thanks for helping out at a couple of events.