Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ever feel during test drives some have weaker regen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very familiar with the regen stop settings and temp or batter fullness affecting regen so aside all of these things, I feel like some models just have stronger regen than others that should be identical otherwise. Is this am inconsistency? My family model Y regen seems to be a lot stronger than the model 3 LR I tested today and I'm wondering why this would be. I can tell because I needed to use the brakes a lot more often to come to stops or slow for turns and yes the regen is set to hold as I always make sure to do before testing any Tesla.

If you are familiar with battery fullness, and regen settings (and battery temperature) impacting regen, then you know that even the same vehicle will exhibit quite different regen under different circumstances.

Battery temperature is a big one actually, and you didnt mention it (and there is no regular way to check it between vehicles, either, not without a third party tool like scan my tesla)

If you are familiar with battery fullness, and regen settings (and battery temperature) impacting regen, then you know that even the same vehicle will exhibit quite different regen under different circumstances.

Battery temperature is a big one actually, and you didnt mention it (and there is no regular way to check it between vehicles, either, not without a third party tool like scan my tesla)
But doesn't the Tesla display if the region is going to be any weaker due to battery temperature? Also I've been driving these tests in the same weather conditions and it's summer here in the valley of California, quite hot. I would imagine that variable to be consistent. I'm just worried that some models might have stronger regen by default for some reason but I hope that's not the case. However my experience seems to imply this.

But doesn't the Tesla display if the region is going to be any weaker due to battery temperature? Also I've been driving these tests in the same weather conditions and it's summer here in the valley of California, quite hot. I would imagine that variable to be consistent. I'm just worried that some models might have stronger regen by default for some reason but I hope that's not the case. However my experience seems to imply this.

Just cause its hot outside, it wont mean the battery is even warm enough to take full regen, so no you may not get feedback that you dont have "full" regen. There are regen dots on the display, but there isnt anything that is going to tell you battery temperature.

I am guessing that you may be driving cars that had been sitting a bit. It takes quite a while for a battery to warm up from driving, too. It isnt "a few minutes / miles". When I drive into work, which is just under 40 miles, it can take close to 30 miles, driven at freeway speeds of 80 ish MPH before I have full regen, if my car sat without charging the night before.

I am "fairly sure" that differences in regen would be because of all the side stuff, but lets spin it forward and say it isnt. There wouldnt be anything you could do except buy a used car and test it ( and request that the person had just charged it right before your test drive). You dont get to test drive the car you are buying, if its brand new, and even if you did, unless others had driven it before you, or they had JUST finished charging it for you, the regen is going to feel different.

Reactions: ZapCarM3
Just cause its hot outside, it wont mean the battery is even warm enough to take full regen, so no you may not get feedback that you dont have "full" regen. There are regen dots on the display, but there isnt anything that is going to tell you battery temperature.

I am guessing that you may be driving cars that had been sitting a bit. It takes quite a while for a battery to warm up from driving, too. It isnt "a few minutes / miles". When I drive into work, which is just under 40 miles, it can take close to 30 miles, driven at freeway speeds of 80 ish MPH before I have full regen, if my car sat without charging the night before.

I am "fairly sure" that differences in regen would be because of all the side stuff, but lets spin it forward and say it isnt. There wouldnt be anything you could do except buy a used car and test it ( and request that the person had just charged it right before your test drive). You dont get to test drive the car you are buying, if its brand new, and even if you did, unless others had driven it before you, or they had JUST finished charging it for you, the regen is going to feel different.
The model Y feels the same every time even at night when chilly and not driven for a day. Much stronger. The model 3 in every case never had dots mentioning weaker regen.

While the Model 3 and Y are share a lot of parts, they are different vehicles. Tesla may have set regen on the Y stronger to offset the heavy weight. Also, Telsa is constantly tweaking items, so there could be a difference between regen setting on a 2019 Model Y vs a 2021 Y/3.

Be interesting to test drive both a new Y and 3 and see what differences there are on current builds.

While the Model 3 and Y are share a lot of parts, they are different vehicles. Tesla may have set regen on the Y stronger to offset the heavy weight. Also, Telsa is constantly tweaking items, so there could be a difference between regen setting on a 2019 Model Y vs a 2021 Y/3.

Be interesting to test drive both a new Y and 3 and see what differences there are on current builds.
I'm also saying that different cars but identical models tested back to back have different strength regen. But I've only felt this in the 3 but I've tested many more.

The display of dots and that sort of thing is not "direct" and precise. I have seen cases where ScanMyTesla reported less than the max 85kW of available regen without seeing any dots on screen. I have seen MANY cases where I have less than total ~330kW of power but there are no dots on the right of that bar. The bar is a coarse indicator only, don't rely too much on it.