Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ever hit a brick at 60mph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have!

I was driving on the highway and distracted by trying to figure out why my 2022 MYP lags behind other traffic while on autopilot. I'll be in right lane of a divided highway with AP set at 70 and a posted speed limit of 65. Even if the left lane traffic is traveling at 75-80, I regularly have tractor-trailers in my lane going 65-70mph and pulling away from me. I end up being the idiot going 55-60 because AP won't keep its 2 car length distance.

Anyway, I'm trying to blame AP, but while looking at the display, I had the most violent hit to the car. So violent, that it rocked my arm enough to take the car out of AP. I look in the rear view and don't see anything, so I assumed it was a pothole. Check for air pressure warnings and nothing. I check the footage when I get home and...

Attachments

• 286649175_1027724227874485_374059403295598093_n.jpg
    286649175_1027724227874485_374059403295598093_n.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 341
  • 288650951_388964726373065_8788591915200431463_n.jpg
    288650951_388964726373065_8788591915200431463_n.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 146
Hard to blame AP for that. I doubt most people would be able to avoid that brick in the middle of the road, going at high speeds.

I do find auto pilot is a little slow to accelerate, when I'm driving at, say,, 55 mph and the car in front of me changes lanes, opening my lane up and AP is set to drive at 70 mph.

It does slowly pick up speed... maybe this is safer anyways.

My two gripes about auto pilot are, when a lane suddenly widens out, after an onramp, the AP moves my Model Y to the center of the lane, rather then simply remain towards the lefthand line, which is what I would do if I were in control. Any cars behind me probably think I'm being a jerk and trying to keep them from passing me while the lane is wide.

I also find that sometimes, a driver in the lane to my right signals they want to merge into my lane, there's plenty of room for them to get in, but the Auto Pilot continues to accelerate and prevents them from merging into my lane.

Sorry about the damage to your car... at least it isn't to the body, so you don't need to get something painted, but I'm sure it's still upsetting.

You may be able to get a wheel repair guy to come out and fix your wheel. I've had to do that twice, he came to my home and repaired it right in my driveway. You wouldn't be able tell which of the two wheels were ever repaired!

Reactions: buckets0fun
Ouch, that's some bad luck. I suppose that's better than it hitting the battery tray though.

I know what you mean about AP not being able to keep up. My MYLR in AP wouldn't keep up with a 20-year-old F-150 with a fully loaded landscaping trailer in heavy traffic the other day. Hopefully they'll tweak that algorithm to be a bit more "real life driving" soon.

Yikes, it sucks, but at least it’s not damaging any of the coolant connector in the bottom front, that will cost a whole battery replacement in SC. Wheel shop should be able to fix the wheel but the tire may need to be replaced. In my life, the worst I have faced were a big lobe of carpet and a 8 foot aluminum ladder flying out of the contractror’s pickup in the front of me, luckily I am able to avoid them. In the latest version, it seems as soon as it pass a speed sign, it will reset to that speed.

...the worst I have faced were a big lobe of carpet and a 8 foot aluminum ladder flying out of the contractror’s pickup in the front of me...
Yes! You never know what will show up in the road.

Driving daughter to college, another vehicle was blocking my view of a dresser in my lane! I don't know how I managed to avoid it but thank dog I did.

And ditto to glad this was not more serious.