Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ever Hit Anything On Auto-Park? Summon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am patiently waiting for my car to arrive but was curious if everyone has hit anything while on auto park or using Summon? On my two Model 3 test drives it worked great but got super close to hitting the cars next to us so just curious if this has happened to anyone?!

I’ve searched the forums and found no incidents of this really so maybe that’s a good thing but just thought I’d ask.

Edit: Does Tesla cover any incidents if this were to happen? Probably not but worth asking...

I've never been able to get auto park to work, not sure if there's a trick or something. I drive by the space really slowly and most times a greyed out P appears, but it never goes blue to actually park it. I've never had the P appear when passing a spot I'd need to reverse in. But at least for now since the car is so new I try to park as far away from people whenever possible. :)

Reactions: C141medic
I use summon all the time, it's fantastic when you have young children and a tight garage. The only issue I've had was sometimes it wouldn't go over the lip into the garage. It would work most of the time. But recently, I've had issues where if we didn't intervene, the X would have hit our Model 3. I had to manually hit the door handle to get it to stop in time.

Before we started the summon, we had it parked right in the center of the open space. All the car needed to do was go in straight, but the moment summon started, it would make a hard right turn then straight out and head straight towards the car parked next to it. This would happen about 5% of the time. Not sure why, since we summon the car the same way for the last couple of years with our previous S and now our current X. It just started happening a few months ago.

IMG_0942.jpg
IMG_0943.jpg

Parallel parking in a narrow street hit the kerb once, no damage.

Perpendicular parking in a car park reversed very fast on a collision course to one car before slowing, straightening up forward and finishing off perfectly. Scared the crap out of me, so I braked and then resumed, but I put it down to the fact that the ultrasonic sensors have such a long range, 8m I believe.

In summon, you'll want to let go of the button about 0.5s before you want it to stop.

I summon in and out of my garage daily. I have had to cancel once because it started getting real close to my other car.

Overall it works great but every once in a while it seems to try to hard and cause issues. It is a straight forward/backward shot but it will work it's way left and right trying to get in and doesn't seem aware of the fact it only has a a few feet to straighten back out before the end of the garage. This leads to it sometimes parking almost diagonally inside the garage.

I use summon all the time, it's fantastic when you have young children and a tight garage. The only issue I've had was sometimes it wouldn't go over the lip into the garage. It would work most of the time. But recently, I've had issues where if we didn't intervene, the X would have hit our Model 3. I had to manually hit the door handle to get it to stop in time.

Before we started the summon, we had it parked right in the center of the open space. All the car needed to do was go in straight, but the moment summon started, it would make a hard right turn then straight out and head straight towards the car parked next to it. This would happen about 5% of the time. Not sure why, since we summon the car the same way for the last couple of years with our previous S and now our current X. It just started happening a few months ago.

View attachment 333695 View attachment 333696

Varied thoughts:
Is it pulling the hard right as it passes the garage door opening? (may be trying to balance left and right empty space). With the 3 as a shorter car, it may not see it at first (try parking the 3 shallower?) Also, depending on charging setup, you might try reversing into the garage, I've read that causes less issues when exiting.

• Helpful
Reactions: maingirl22
After you see the gray P, put it in reverse, and you'll be presented with a parking option on screen. Hit "start", and cautiously enjoy.

Ahh right reverse! Forgot that from the video guides lol, kept thinking it would go blue and then I'd press it and it would go into reverse on its own so that makes sense. It doesn't usually bring up the P but I'll watch for it next time.

Reactions: Enginerd
Edit: Does Tesla cover any incidents if this were to happen? Probably not but worth asking...

Autopilot, including autopark and summon are all beta. There have been deaths, crashes, damages but Tesla has never compensated due to the nature of owners accepting using a beta product. None. Not even once! There's still a pending autopilot death lawsuit in China for years.

I haven't heard many autopark crashes but I at least heard once when an AP1 Model S did an autopark and hit the rear of a pickup truck parking in front.

I have heard quite a few summon crashes into a garage, its door, its door columns, its structure, and even an outdoor brick wall. Those human just didn't react fast enough to stop the summon on time!

Ahh right reverse! Forgot that from the video guides lol, kept thinking it would go blue and then I'd press it and it would go into reverse on its own so that makes sense. It doesn't usually bring up the P but I'll watch for it next time.

I often don't get the P, but still get the option to self park once I put it into reverse. Since I'm actually trying to park instead of just looking to try out a feature, I don't ever pay attention to whether the P appears or not. I get ready to parallel park my car, and when I put it in reverse if the car offers to self park I use it, otherwise I just park it myself.

• Informative
Reactions: Enginerd and RBowen
I have never gotten the P when pulling next to another vehicle. I did use summon to move the car out of a space where there were bushes next to the driver's door. The curb wasn't a straight line. I started to bend toward the car and I was curious what it would do once the curb started to get closer. I was pleasently surprised when it started cutting the wheels to avoid the curb. Only did summon that one time, so YMMV.

I watched a Model 3 parking vid where it didn’t look like the P came up at all, but the guy put it into reverse after passing the spot and the Start button came up anyway. He said Tesla improved the process so you no longer had to pull past the spot going under 5 mph and then wait for the P to appear anymore and it was more forgiving. Haven’t gotten my 3 yet, so I can’t verify.

I am patiently waiting for my car to arrive but was curious if everyone has hit anything while on auto park or using Summon? On my two Model 3 test drives it worked great but got super close to hitting the cars next to us so just curious if this has happened to anyone?!

I’ve searched the forums and found no incidents of this really so maybe that’s a good thing but just thought I’d ask.

No, you are still responsible for the car’s motion whether on Autopilot or Summon. You must be close to the vehicle to use Summon. I watch my car’s path. I’ve only used Autopark once and car did fine but I was ready to intervene if necessary.