Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ever measure how much energy your car's HVAC (Heat specifically) uses up? I did this week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a 200 km trip to go on, and foolishly forgot to charge the car the night before. So I was sitting at 10km of range at 9am, and had to leave at 1pm. I was able to charge at home and added enough to get to150 kms before departure.

The nearest supercharger was 92kms away, so I knew it would be ok but not ideal. I started out going 120 kmh with the heat set at 24 celsius. The result was 258 wh/km over the first 20 kms. Still below the calculation used for rated range, but enough to get me to the supercharger. I'd have to average over 300 wh/km to miss making the supercharger.

Soon I wondered what affect the heater had. I knew it was 'something' but wasn't sure how much. We've been trained our whole lives to think that heat is minimal consumption wise on a 'car' and the air conditioning is the killer. That's true on a fossil car with an abundance of readily accessible waste heat, but on an electric car, as most here know, the heater is a real energy sapper.

With the heat off (and my mitts on) while travelling at 120 km/h with nobody in front of me and the temperature outside sitting right at -10 (and in car showing at +10 on the app), the car showed consumption to be 190 wh/km over 10 kms. Must have been downhill I thought so I ran it out for 50 kms to see the result and showed consumption of 202 wh/km for 50 kms.

I was shocked at that number...202 wh/km vs. 258...does that mean running the heat in the car at 24 celsius uses up over 20% of the energy, whittling away at my range? This very short and unscientific test would indicate that this is the case. I will certainly be doing more of that testing just for curiosity.

Are my results in line with what others have found when testing this? I'm still surprised.

Reactions: hpjtv
You are in Canada and you set the cabin temperature to 24°C? Dude!
It's not just the cabin heater, the battery heater probably ate some energy as well. Tesla unlike other EVs does not report auxiliary energy use so it is hard to tell how much of the loss was due to that or due to the decreased efficiency in cold weather driving.