Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ever raced another Tesla in Redlight/Stoplight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I was at the red light with my 3P+. I first cleared there is no pedestrians nearby and no cops were around. Then, my inner child kicked in and I had an impulse just to punch the pedal to feel the acceleration in the long empty road ahead. I also checked there was no car in the right lane.

Off the set, the acceleration was surreal but then I felt another car next to my lane is traveling nearly the same speed. At that time, I couldn't tell what car it was.

My arrogance kicked in for a millisecond and thought, "wait, is there as fast car as mine? No way unless it is Model S!" But it's so quiet unlike gas cars.

I saw the side mirror and voila, it was the Tesla Model S!! And he wasn't slowing down, LOL! I definitely pushed the limit to like 60~70 mph in 45mph zone but had to slow down because I didn't want to get tickets if cops were around. I let him pass and checked the S85D badge. At around 60 mph, I felt my P3D was faster about probably 10~20 yards ahead of S85D but it was not a significant gap.

This was the first time I got a challenge from another Tesla and I had never thought I would race a Tesla because every Tesla drivers I saw were driving like grannies. People in the gas cars behind the line probably thought like "what the hell is wrong with the Tesla drivers these days?"

Model 3's becoming more popular, when two Teslas meet at the redlights, did you have experience of punching together at the same time either accidentally or purposely? For my case it was accidental because I never knew Model S was next to me. I would have been more careful if it was because if possibility of P90DL or P100DL which would demolish the competition. Anyway, it was definitely weird and somewhat awkward, like beating up a sibling.

Last edited:
Not really a Tesla vs Tesla race but, during one occasion, I was #2 behind another Tesla (Model S) at a red light and had a Model X behind me. When the light turned green, we all punched it while keeping some spacing between each other. Before we knew it, we were far from all other gas cars behind. I wonder what the other drivers thought about the quickest S3X they've ever seen.

Not really a Tesla vs Tesla race but, during one occasion, I was #2 behind another Tesla (Model S) at a red light and had a Model X behind me. When the light turned green, we all punched it while keeping some spacing between each other. Before we knew it, we were far from all other gas cars behind. I wonder what the other drivers thought about the quickest S3X they've ever seen.

Assuming they don't know anything about Tesla, possible thought scenario can be "What did I just see now?"
Or maybe, "Wait, I don't think I heard the engine sound?"
Or more likely, "Damn these spoiled brats."

Today I was at the red light with my 3P+. I first cleared there is no pedestrians nearby and no cops were around. Then, my inner child kicked in and I had an impulse just to punch the pedal to feel the acceleration in the long empty road ahead. I also checked there was no car in the right lane.

Off the set, the acceleration was surreal but then I felt another car next to my lane is traveling nearly the same speed. At that time, I couldn't tell what car it was.

My arrogance kicked in for a millisecond and thought, "wait, is there as fast car as mine? No way unless it is Model S!" But it's so quiet unlike gas cars.

I saw the side mirror and voila, it was the Tesla Model S!! And he wasn't slowing down, LOL! I definitely pushed the limit to like 60~70 mph in 45mph zone but had to slow down because I didn't want to get tickets if cops were around. I let him pass and checked the S85D badge. At around 60 mph, I felt my P3D was faster about probably 10~20 yards ahead of S85D but it was not a significant gap.

This was the first time I got a challenge from another Tesla and I had never thought I would race a Tesla because every Tesla drivers I saw were driving like grannies. People in the gas cars behind the line probably thought like "what the hell is wrong with the Tesla drivers these days?"

Model 3's becoming more popular, when two Teslas meet at the redlights, did you have experience of punching together at the same time either accidentally or purposely? For my case it was accidental because I never knew Model S was next to me. I would have been more careful if it was because if possibility of P90DL or P100DL which would demolish the competition. Anyway, it was definitely weird and somewhat awkward, like beating up a sibling.

You are transcribing an inner monologue in my head. <3

I posted this a year and half ago. :D Most Tesla drivers don't utilize the capabilities of their vehicles.

Missed encounter - Model S P90D in Irvine

Me: Old white Dodge Grand Caravan
You: White Model S P90D
Where: Intersection of Jamboree and Irvine Blvd about 10 minutes ago.

I was admiring you at a red light until a Toyota Camry smoked you when the light turned green.

Please don't let that happen again. It's bad advertising for Tesla.

Thanks

Not sure why Elon implemented Chill Mode considering 90% of the drivers are already driving Chill. :(

That S85D is not that slow car. It beats the 3LR, and I think beats the 3LRD.

3P/3P+ crushes the S85D for sure. Without badging its not easy to tell your 3P+ from a 3LR unless they really know what to look for.

I think he wanted to beat you but misjudged your trim. :D If he was prepared and you were prepared to go all out, you'd be 1 second faster than him to 60.

I don't think there's any point to race against Tesla's even though I was tested once (short test for that Model S).

Virtually all Tesla's have fixed performance from the factory. You would know the results of the race in advance.

While the 3LRD and 3P's beat almost every Model S, I do see it as beating up siblings and wouldn't initiate against them.

I've had my X burned by a 3 but that's like a shark beating on a whale that is beached.