Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ever wonder what thermal runaway looks like?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't really see the need. While a fire is uncommon, a portable extinguisher is going to do little to prevent or control thermal runaway of a Model S pack.
In my previous life as an airline pilot, when training to evacuate the airplane, the first officer was always taught to grab the cockpit fire extinguisher before leaving the cockpit. At one point, someone thought to ask, "what's a hand held fire extinguisher going to do when you have 20000 lbs of Jet-A burning?" The answer was that the fire extinguisher wasn't to try to put out the aircraft fire, it was to put out flaming passengers.

That's a *thief* runaway.

Know Reasons for Tesla Batterypack Thermal Anomalies:

1. Three-pronged Trailer Hitch, with high kinetic energy content (before Titanium Underbody Shield)

2. Mexican concrete wall and roundabout + tree, with high kinetic energy content

3. Not crash-safe steel light pole, with high kinetic energy content.

4. wk057

Know Reasons for Tesla Batterypack Thermal Anomalies:

1. Three-pronged Trailer Hitch, with high kinetic energy content (before Titanium Underbody Shield)

2. Mexican concrete wall and roundabout + tree, with high kinetic energy content

3. Not crash-safe steel light pole, with high kinetic energy content.

4. wk057

LOL

Recently moved from southern NJ to Hickory, NC. Usually don't share such details publicly, but several of the articles regarding my solar system have noted it, so yeah.

Oh? I missed the articles. I'll have to search.

In all seriousness (is that a word?) I'd love to stop by someday and see the system. I bet there are more then a few here on the east coast that would come if you were willing to host a open house. We could take you out to lunch or something.

Oh? I missed the articles. I'll have to search.

In all seriousness (is that a word?) I'd love to stop by someday and see the system. I bet there are more then a few here on the east coast that would come if you were willing to host a open house. We could take you out to lunch or something.

You're welcome to stop by, sure! Have two HPWCs in the garage for grabbing some juice, too, while you're here.

Probably be more interesting if it is after I have at least some of the solar up, though. :)

Updated Known Reasons for Tesla Batterypack Thermal Anomalies:

Before the Titanium Underbody Shield:
1. Curved section that fell off a semi-trailer, with high kinetic energy content
3. Three-pronged Trailer Hitch, with high kinetic energy content
After the Titanium Underbody Shield:
4. Not crash-safe steel light pole, with high kinetic energy content
5. 500 foot drop from a cliff, with high kinetic energy content
6. Undetermined source, occurring near a Supercharger
7. wk057

:)

In my previous life as an airline pilot, when training to evacuate the airplane, the first officer was always taught to grab the cockpit fire extinguisher before leaving the cockpit. At one point, someone thought to ask, "what's a hand held fire extinguisher going to do when you have 20000 lbs of Jet-A burning?" The answer was that the fire extinguisher wasn't to try to put out the aircraft fire, it was to put out flaming passengers.
A while back I was given a safety briefing before boarding a helicopter, the instructions regarding the fire extinguisher were "If we're in the air, don't! If we're on the ground, throw it in the general direction of the fire and keep running."