Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EverCharge now approved to install Tesla Connectors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J

jbcarioca

For those of us who have EverCharge in our buildings this is good news. I was advised two days ago that Tesla has approved the EverCharge stations to use the Tesla connectors. This will NOT be the HPWC but will eliminate the present requirement to use J1772. I was not given the price for the connector but I was told that the cost for my existing installation to change would be primarily the electrician to change out the cable. The max power will still be whatever you have now unless you also want to pay to upgrade the line in, your connecting line from the main electrical box and the circuit breaker. In my case I will just live with the 32 Amps I have; I never need a faster charge at home anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
jbcarioca is there any advantage of going with a tesla connector over a J1772? I can't find anything online.

Also wouldn't it make more sense to go universal so if you change your mind later on it you dont have to go through hoops?
If you are not certain that you will charge Tesla and only Tesla going with a Tesla connector is both more expensive and less flexible. The only advantage is taht you need not always use an adapter. For me I preferred not to use an adapter.

EverCharge is a good solution only if you otherwise will have problems with installation approval. In my case a third party was required in order to obtain condominium board approval.

Frankly the Tesla connector is an expensive flexibility. Since I leave my car connected while I travel, for months at a time, I find it worthwhile. I would probably not have done that if I lived full time with my Tesla. It is really a matter of personal preference, nothing else.