Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Evergy plans to add 660 megawatts of wind energy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

swaltner

Oct 13, 2012
Kansas, USA
https://www.evergy.com/about-evergy/newsroom/2020/january/evergy-announces-plan-to-reduce-carbon-emissions

Evergy, the electricity provider for eastern Kansas and western Missouri, announced their plan to reduce carbon emissions by 80 percent over the coming decades. My understanding is that Kansas already has the largest percentage of their power from wind energy compared to every other state in the US and this would add several large wind farms to their existing portfolio.

While I personally would prefer that this plan included provisions to prematurely retire the coal power plants, I’m happy with the plan to not deploy new coal plants.

Reactions: house9
While I personally would prefer that this plan included provisions to prematurely retire the coal power plants, I’m happy with the plan to not deploy new coal plants.
I am fine with the fact that these wind farms are more economical to run than coal power plants. I think the coal plants will shut down sooner than originally planned because of these economics.

I just hope more people sign up for the solar subscription so we can get that train moving as well.

In general it's been better to have KCPL and Westar merge, but KCPL has had a tougher time getting on the renewables, some due to geography, some due to more push back from "windfarms cause cancer" farmers. It has definitely been a boon to Evergy to add Westar since Westar has far been ahead of the curve on getting wind in its portfolio.

I am kinda shocked though they haven't announced when they plan to shutdown Lawrence Energy Center, that will be a nice coal plant to get off the grid, Hawthorne and Jeffrey aren't bowing out unfortunately for a while.