Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eversource approval for solar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was told early last week that Tesla was now waiting an expected 8-10 weeks for a permit from Eversource before doing the Solar install. I then get a text on Friday that permits were done, along with the "Installation: Coming Soon" step highlighted on Tesla's website. Anyone have any experiences to share with this? I'm thinking they received local town approval, but are awaiting Eversource approval? How long does install typically take to get scheduled in Metrowest? Also, any "gotchas" with the installers? Obviously, I don't want them doing an ugly install (conduit in weird places, etc).

I am also in a “waiting for eversource approval” holding pattern. The permit is from your city/town, and mine was done quickly. Eversource needs to approve the plan as well since it hooks to the power. Tesla is saying they expect to get approval early October but who knows. They said that eversource is slower analyzing bigger systems. Mine is a 12.24kw with 3 power walls. We signed the Tesla/eversource papers mid July. Seems that then Tesla sends the paperwork in along with a fee, which also takes some time.

Just got my eversource approval today. I signed the original eversource paperwork on July 21 so it was about 10 weeks to get here. My install date is now oct 20 unless an earlier date opens up.
I assume the system you are having installed is solar panels, not the solar glass roof - correct? I got a text + call on Monday of this past week stating my solar roof project was ready to schedule. After an hour on the phone on hold, I found out someone jumped the gun on setting out the scheduling ready message :( The person on the phone suggested our project might not be ready to schedule until the spring.

Here is a timeline for my Tesla solar panel install. My utility is Eversource, if yours is different YMMV.

6/13 Made $100 deposit online to get the project started. Used my own referal link.
6/19 Received notification of layout completed. Documents appeared online with paperwork for Tesla and Eversource
6/21 Noticed new 340W panels and better pricing.
6/23 Site survey completed. Also asked for change to new panels and pricing.
7/10 Received notification that they received the Town's electrical/structural permit.
7/16 Updated plan to include 340W panels instead of 330W panels and new lower pricing.
7/16 Signed updated paperwork including Eversource docs. Kicked off the path to install.
7/21 Received email from Eversource saying application received for SMART program
8/19 Received email from Eversource saying application approved for SMART program.

long wait for Eversource to approve application for installation. Was told that it could be 2-9 weeks from Eversource being paid their application fee and signed paperwork.

10/1 Email received to sign Interconnection service agreement with Eversource. Permission received to schedule installation. Was given a link on Tesla account online to do an online schedule. Picked earliest available install which was 10/20.
10/13 Received phone call from Tesla saying they had an opening, would I "mind" if they came on 10/14-10/15. I said YESSSSS
10/14 8am-5pm: Two crews arrive to do the install, one to do panel prep and wiring and the other to do the powerwall and gateway install. The inverter, powerwalls, and an electrical panel to hold the inverter and powerwall breakers were installed in the basement. They spent a few hours in the attic running the wires for the panels to an exterior conduit which runs from the wall in the attic to the basement. The electrical work was completed the first day except for wiring the panels to the inverter. No panels were placed on the first day. Eversource installs an additional meter for solar production and requires a main cutoff switch on the exterior. The socket for the new meter was also installed but bridged until Eversource comes to install it and to replace the regular meter with a net metering version. Powerwalls arrived about 25% charged and a test was done to power the house from the powerwalls.
10/15 8am-4pm: One larger crew arrived to finish solar panel install and to connect the inverter. Spent about 1 hour in the attic with the wiring to connect panels and about 1 hour in the basement to hook up inverter. The rest of the time was installing panels. I have a total of 36 panels, two strings on the main roof (15 and 12 cell strings) and another triangular shape of 8 panels in the third string. They tested the panels and they were generating. They were told by the lead guy from powerwall crew to check in with him when they were done to double check the CT configuration in the gateway. They couldn't reach him and left. What this meant is that there was indeed a problem with the CT configuration and the powerwalls wouldn't charge from the solar panels. They said they would fix this when they came back for the town inspection.
10/16 Got a call from the inspection scheduler who was aware of the minor issue and scheduled the inspection for 10/21 in the morning.
10/21 Tesla and the inspector arrive at the same time and the inspector went over the electrical. Passed with no issues. The Tesla tech stayed around to fix the CT and the system is fully operational.

Seemingly endless wait for Eversource meter installations and PTO.

I did run a test to make sure system is operating properly and charged the powerwalls up to 40% in-case there is a power failure
cells.jpg
8 Cell triangular array went up first.

gateway.jpg

Normal meter, gateway2, cutoff switch, meter socket for SMART production meter

inverter.jpg

Inverter on day1

powerwalls.jpg

3 powerwalls :)

breakers.jpg

Extra electrical panel to hold the 60A solar breaker and 3x30A powerwall breakers. This needed to be added to allow the 150A cutoff switch outside.

• Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer
The one disappointment in the install was that although the builder of the house originally installed 4 conduits from the attic to the basement, they couldn't be used for the solar panel dc signals due because they were not metal :(. So I ended up with one ugly conduit on the outside of the house. Didn't try to get them to paint it or anything since I'll be having the house painted in the next year or two anyway. They did check back with their lead engineer to make sure that they couldn't use the plastic conduit. The town electrical inspector also confirmed he wouldn't have approved that.

I got the invoice for the system the afternoon of the day they did the town inspection. I was able to pay the balance by credit card, probably due to the date I started the process. YMMV.

• Informative
So as of 10/29, Tesla has not informed Eversource of the passed inspection by the town. When I exchanged email with my advisor he says that the group that files paperwork with the utilities is "backed up". So at this point the delay in getting PTO is squarely on Tesla. The documents that I previously signed for Eversource claim that they will install the new meters within 10 days of getting the paperwork including the passed inspection. o_O

As of 11/09, still waiting for PTO. It turns out that the town had not fully signed off on closing the permit, they needed tesla to send a structural plan signed by a PE. This happened 11/6 and so the town informed Tesla they are all set. Now still waiting for Tesla to tell Eversource and for Eversource to come by to install the solar production meter and replace the ordinary meter with a net-metering version. Waiting for PTO is painful.

Reactions: kayak1 and Tdreamer