Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Eversource rates in MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all - MA is known to have high rates at around .22/kwh, but what I'm not sure of is if we need to do anything to make sure off peak kwh rates take effect? Is there a specific plan for this? I'm noticing my charging sessions going from like 55% to 90% are around $7/session (starting at midnight) which is expensive isn't it?

Basic electricity rates are controlled by state government.
Well, a better way to phrase that is "negotiated with the state government." "Controlled by" implies the state dictates rates to Eversource and that Eversource is a passive participant in the matter.

In reality, Eversource applies for a rate increase to the state regulators, who negotiate/approve the request based on approved rates of return, etc.

I have had some dealings with Eversource in the past at the regulatory level. Let's just say they are 100% opposed to time-of-use rates for residential customers, saying things like "residential customers don't want/understand it", "we tried once and nobody took it". They don't want to pay to upgrade meters. They like things the way they are, and fear change.

Ugh. Great. One of the few states where owning an EV is more expensive than ICE.
It's not that bad. $0.22/kWh is $0.07/mile, which is 29mpg. Pretty good for an ICE the size of the Model S, or a sports sedan the size of the Model 3. Not good compared to a Prius, but that's hardly an apples-to-apples comparison.

Some municipalities (Hudson, MA, Littleton, MA, Concord, MA) have town power and encourage/incentivize night time use.
Can't believe it is nearly 8 years since this: Incoming utility cable capacity - A cautionary tale
It's been a few years since I was a Hudson Light & Power customer, but muni's often weren't/aren't great for solar, since they were exempt from the net metering rules that the investor-owned utilities had to follow. Munis could do anything from full net metering down to taking your excess production without compensation. 5 years ago, HL&P paid their standard wholesale rate of $0.05/kWh for excess generation, and charged $0.14/kWh for grid imports. I don't know if muni net metering has changed since I left.