Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Every service experience makes me want to sell my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had generally good experiences with Tesla service (used mobile once and stopped by the service center a couple of times) but I have to admit that the communication is generally poor. If it is a known problem or something that mobile can handle the process is generally straightforward but if you actually need to talk to someone it is nearly impossible to do so.

Case in point, I got a call last Wednesday about my HW3 upgrade. They said my computer arrived and they had a cancellation the next day where they could squeeze me in and give me a loaner. Unfortunately I was at the gym when they called and didn't have my phone so this was all left via voicemail then text message. I couldn't have made the appointment on such short notice but I wanted to talk with them about actually scheduling it at a time and date that fit my schedule.

Despite my best efforts to call them back (within 45 minutes) at the number and extension they left (on the voicemail) I was unable to get anyone on the phone to discuss the appointment. It has been almost a week now and I still haven't heard a peep from them about it despite leaving a voicemail with them to call me back about scheduling my HW3 upgrade. I need to talk to a human because I need to confirm that I can get a loaner before confirming the appointment. The loaner is important because I have a kid and fairly long commute. Uber credits are nice but it's unreliable at 5am (when I go to work) and Uber is a crappy way to pick up you kid from daycare and take your kid to gymnastics etc... especially when they're still in a car seat.

I'm sitting here now contemplating if I even want to schedule it as it seems like such a hassle and it will basically do nothing for me at this point anyways (visualize traffic cones?)... it is just future proofing in case that $8000 upgrade the previous owner bought (EAP + FSD) ever does anything useful.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
My SC always engages me via text. While that text thread is active (typically until the actual repair is closed out), my SC is extremely responsive via text. Sounds like not everyone has that same experience

My SC always engages me via text. While that text thread is active (typically until the actual repair is closed out), my SC is extremely responsive via text. Sounds like not everyone has that same experience

This certainly matches my experience

Slight delay on my current job, but I have had phone updates and text messages with regular updates and a call back from the technician working on the car when appropriate. I don't think any other mainstream service dept would allow / expect a technician to speak directly with an owner, but I really appreciate such calls.

Reactions: 2101Guy

Slight delay on my current job, but I have had phone updates and text messages with regular updates and a call back from the technician working on the car when appropriate. I don't think any other mainstream service dept would allow / expect a technician to speak directly with an owner, but I really appreciate such calls.
As someone who generally prefers text messaging to phone calls, I attempted to reply to every canned text message I received to no avail. If that were successful & I received quick responses to my text messages that resolved the issue(s) I probably wouldn't have much of a complaint. Just like if service were done properly the first time I also wouldn't have to even lean on the text message replies. It's kind of a snowball effect though when things don't go right and you have no recourse on the options that you are given should they fall short of expectations.

Reactions: PhilDavid

Please don't resort to a false equivalence argument.

No one here is asking to speak to a service technician. Service technicians are the unsung heroes in this situation and they do excellent work.

The issues here having to do with no way to coordinate any aspect of service. And when whoever it is responsible for responding to text messages decides customers should just go pound sand, as what happened to us when our car was at the service center for 5 days and they decided to not respond to our text messages, there is no way to escalate anything and speak to someone.

This whole text message based support system dehumanizes customers with no way for customers to seek any meaningful resolution by speaking to someone when the text messages fail.

I wonder how all the apologists here would act the next time their car is at the SC for days and days and their text messages are ignored.

Each Service center should have a clearly defined escalation process if customers don't reserve assistance via text message. Is that too much to ask?

Last edited:
Please don't resort to a false equivalence argument.

I don't intend to compare technicians specifically to service quality, but neither do I like always finding purely the negative side. Allowing techs to communicate with me is part of communication, managing / supporting my SC experience, and maybe helps avoid things going wrong in the first place.

The issues here having to do with no way to coordinate any aspect of service.

Right now, my car is in the shop, and I am getting good communication. For my current issues, I feel there is reasonable coordination. I am sure this is not the same everywhere and at all times.

This whole text message based support system dehumanizes customers

It surely does if there is no means of escallation. I experienced complete dehumanisation at times during the purchase process.

Each Service center should have a clearly defined escalation process

100% agree. Just because my current interaction is going OK, I have no certainty that this will always be the case, especially when things go off the rails. Personal contact with empowered staff is essential. Text / emails only works in certain situations and for certain individuals and it can't be the sole means of communication.

With a different (large) manufacturer's local main dealer, I got so frustrated by the hopeless telephone system.... call centers, no means of talking to service personel.... only secretaries, who then emailed dealership service staff... who rarelt if ever responded. I was hugely thankful for one member of the service team who gave me a number to text him on, and he does reply. So it can work with the right people.

Last edited: