Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Every time I get into my new M3 music doesn’t autoplay and it tells me to “Choose Media Source”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only had my M3LR a week, and it's an amazing car (first EV for me) but the fact I have to find and restart music each time I get in the car is really really annoying. Both USB and Spotify never resume when I get back in. Surely this is a pretty basic feature of listening to music in a car, every car I've had previously just carries on where you've left off when you get back in again. Hopefully this gets fixed soon, as it's the one thing letting the car down for me at the moment.

I have a 4 week old M3LR and I am having this same issue ever since the update. It is quite annoying… I have tried the sentry mode fix and it did nothing to resolve my issue. and Sentry mode is something I want. Hoping a fix comes out soon. Latest update 2022.8.3 did nothing to fix

I just subscribed to Spotify premium solely to use in the car. Previously I was streaming over bluetooth from my phone, but that meant pulling it out of my pocket when I wanted to change it. For several days Spotify worked great. I'd open the door and immediately have low volume music to greet me, unlike any ICE car, and bluetooth. Now about 75% of the time entering the car it's stuck. I have to switch back and forth to fix the loading issue, rechoose my playlist, and even then it's either starting from the beginning again or shuffling over the same songs I just heard on the previous drive.

Spotify is not open on any other device. It happens regardless of the car being connected to Wi-Fi or LTE. It happens regardless of sentry being on or off. I've tried simply rebooting, and it also just updated to whichever new minor version. Not sure if it only started happening after a previous update, but maybe.

I'll probably give up for now and go back to my phone to save that $10/month.

This happens to me too (on a regular basis) - and I don't use Spotify or Sentry. I listen to regular FM radio, then leave and lock the car. Get back in the car later - and it's set to streaming with nothing selected, and I have to switch it to radio again. Annoying.

Came looking to see if others are having same situation as I started having just today. Made a phone call using car to place call and went fine, hung up and then no audio for my FM news channel I always listen to. Parked car for several hours (will add I use Sentry at this location) and hoped it was resolved when I came back. Nope.

None of my FM radio stations I have listed under Favorites will send Audio and the Black Stop button is seen. Cannot get it to play. I even tried direct tuning one of the channels but no luck. Now interesting enough my phone audio in the car is still working and so is audio for streaming (TuneIn station) and works on my favorite saved music choices like Romance. I don’t use Spotify. I was wondering if my FM antenna stopped working, but given people’s comments here at least now I think it’s not the issue. I had an update not that long ago (2022.8.2) but my FM only just today stopped working so doesn’t seem to be direct result to update. I didn’t try a reboot yet BTW. Think the car automatically does a reboot after new updates installed. On the FM channels I have saved it does say “Choose Media Source” under the radio station name.
Looks like yours was built with the group that got the bad FM antenna. FM radio stopped working

Occasionally what works for me is when I get back into the vehicle, I simply press the left scroll wheel on the steering wheel to resume playing and then all of a sudden the screen refreshes, it no longer asks me to choose a media source, and it just resumes playing the last song I was listening to.
Thank you! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS is why I love this forum. You solved a very frustrating bug that Elon's updates have not been able to.

I find in unbelievable that none of the alpha/beta testers at Tesla noticed this before it was released. Surely someone was driving the car around with music and noticed it wasn't starting when getting in.
It's pretty evident to me that the alpha/beta testers employed by Tesla don't listen to music or radio and simply drive the cars around testing everything but the media interfaces. Also judging from V11 changes for the worse it appears like it was designed by people that are into cell phones not cars. Car media in general seems like a total afterthought to Elon as it's not like they haven't had years to polish this yet it seems like it's an eternal work in progress that is at the very bottom of their list of priorities.

Last edited: