TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Everyone: PLEASE stop making moderators' job more difficult!

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by AudubonB, Oct 15, 2015.

1. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

To ALL forum members:

PLEASE look at the proliferation of hyper-similar threads regarding the Version 7 roll-out - and find one that already exists before you make a new one. Right now there are a good dozen and more....it really is out of control. "User Interface" is not my bailiwick, but I can assure you no moderator wants to claw through all these threads and merge them.

Thanks, everybody.

2. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

yeah i agree, this is insane

3. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

The moderators should simply close the new threads once they get noticed. That way the orphans don't add weight and there's less work merging them later.
    Maybe that's too simple a solution?

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

"Censorship!"

People will yell that and create more work for mods as a result.

Nonetheless, it might be worth trying -- as long as the close includes a link to a recommended thread.

5. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Idea :confused:: Make opening a new thread more than a click, and require a cooling off period where the user has performed actual searches on the site prior to thread button becoming available.

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Or better yet implement a search function that shows the existing thread(s) on the topic.

7. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Sorry, yes, I should have been more specific. Post to the thread "Thread closed as we already have a thriving thread on this topic (include link to that thread). Then close the thread. Thanks for pointing out that my idea as posted was really kinda stupid, brianman

8. Lex

Lex Member

200+ page threads are a different problem altogether, though. I agree that very specific new topics* are the answer... vs. a 200+ page day single topic about 7.

---
    * that are actually new.. search first ;) some forums strongly encourage that on / near / after New Topic button press.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Well the search function already exists....

But tying it into the thread creation UI with prompting "Are you sure none of these threads already covers what you want to discuss?" (followed by a list of relevant threads).

10. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Can we change the title of this thread to V7.0 please! :smile:

11. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Probably would be easiest to pin a new (temporary) subforum to the top of every page entitled 'V7 Autopilot Videos Experiences Questions Loading Whatever - Goes HERE', let people start a b'zillion new threads, and sort thru it later.

It would look something like this:

Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 1.39.45 PM.png