TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Everyone wants to race me......

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Recumpence, May 24, 2018.

1. Recumpence

Recumpence Member

As the title suggests, it seems like everywhere I go in this car somebody tries to race me or at least get around me. I had a motorcycle today try to race me and a modified pickup truck. Neither of them could get around me. :) does anyone else find that the model 3 draws street races?

Matt

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. SigNC

SigNC Member

must have been a slow motorcycle :)

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Watch out for Mustangs.

• Funny x 6
    • Like x 1
  4. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

Speaking for myself here, but... what a difference 15 years makes. Back then I was in my early 20s and splurged on a BMW M3. Loved gunning it from a stop and loved to cream all the Saabs who thought they were contenders.

These days I feel like I have nothing to prove. People rev their engines next to me, and I let them shoot away.

Maybe my testosterone levels are low.

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 1
  5. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

Watch out for these guys

IMG_4600.JPG

• Funny x 4
    • Love x 2
  6. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

It depends
    If it’s a lifted truck with load pipes then I love embarrassing them. The only problem is that those drivers take it as an insult to their manhood and do stupid things to get past you later.
    Pointing and laughing probably doesn’t help
    :rolleyes:

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 2
  7. rypalmer

rypalmer Active Member

Your job now IS to effortlessly embarrass ICE vehicles - safely of course.

• Like x 2
  8. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I doubt he is driving on the sidewalk.

• Funny x 10
    • Like x 1
  9. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

In an EV you have to roll down your window, grip the steering wheel firmly, get a crazy look in your eye, and yell out

"VROOOM vrom vrom VROOOM vrom vrom POP POP"

• Funny x 20
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  10. Drax

Drax Member

Or near a hedge.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  11. MarkinArch

MarkinArch 1st S.A.TX Non Owner TM3 Delivery

I have had 3 occasions where cars have tried to provoke me (I think). I have not entertained any of them because I'm not in to that type of thing. Not saying I don't do the occasional full power from a red light for grins every now and then. :)

1. An old Corolla tailgated me (I wasn't going slow) and then used all its 4 cylinder fury to huff and puff around me with a big smile on his face.

2. G37 Coupe with modified exhaust rolled up next to me on the highway, started revving and wanted to race. Nope, he would have destroyed me at highway speed.

3. Brand new C43 AMG rolled up next to me on the highway and was intrigued. Not sure if he wanted to race but he was definitely looking...then I exited for my street so I guess I will never know his intentions. Good for me because I would have been embarrassed.

I get a lot of looks but not many people really want to race. Which is good, bc that's how innocent people are hurt.

• Like x 1
  12. ilovemycoffee

ilovemycoffee MS 85D HW1 Late 2015

13. TT97

TT97 Active Member

It's not a C63, the C43 has a faster 0-60 than the 3, however, the 5-60 is 5.1 sec. so unless he does a launch start, you can take him (but as @ilovemycoffee elegantly stated, "don't do it".)

EDIT: Just realized it wasn't at a stop light but @ilovemycoffee advice still applies.

• Like x 1
  14. zackmilo

zackmilo 2.2M+ Youtube views on my Model 3

Or near a crowd

• Like x 1
  15. cellogig

cellogig Model X..Model 3

I just put the chill mode on and think to myself, you are no match to me. Let them think they are faster then me.
    I know I am faster, so I am humble about it. Nothing to prove, the numbers don’t lie.

• Funny x 1
  16. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

Street racing is meh.
    • The trophy girl is a homeless lady pushing a shopping cart.
    • The entry fee can be pretty steep.
    • The purse can be an all expense paid room near city hall and pair of matching bracelets.
    The cars that are actually fast with good drivers are unlikely to bother with you on the street, and if they did, It would be over before you hit the speed limit.
    The cars that are actually fast with bad drivers are likely to get you busted or in an accident.
    The cars that are slow with bad drivers aren't worth the time, but can still get you arrested.

Drag race it. Enter brackets. It should be repeatable enough once you learn the battery curve, just keep adjusting your dial-in.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

My favorite street racing video. Seen a few of these, but never caught one on camera myself:

Both those cars roughly as quick as a Model 3LR on the street, mid-13 second when driver lacks skillz.

• Funny x 8
    • Informative x 1
  18. Bebop

Bebop Active Member

My favorite is to go off the line slow from the first red light, like you said, let them think they are faster than me. Then on the next red light, I’ll gun it.

• Like x 2
  19. Fusion

Fusion Member

I blow them all away when they try to race me. I see myself flooring it and flying past them at lightning fast speeds. Then the light turns green and I realized I was daydreaming the whole time while those suckers take off and I get honked from behind.

• Funny x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  20. cellogig

cellogig Model X..Model 3

Lol I have done that on occasion