Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything we know about the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's a lot of information about the Model 3; would be good to collate it here. Feel free to add anything below, and I'll update this post.

Range
Minimum 215 miles (344km)

Delivery dates

West Coast USA commencing late 2017

Interior

Display is landscape style
Air vents to both front and rear

Door Handles

Push to open

Roof

All glass; panoramic and fixed options available

Pricing

Starting from $35,000 USD

Options

Ludicrous will be available

Autopilot
All vehicles will be delivered with autopilot hardware

Performance
0-60mph <6 seconds (base model)

Reactions: ApauloThirteen
Display will be 15"
Target drag coefficient of 0.21
Target 5-star safety rating in all categories
Wheelbase 2,870 mm (113 in) est.
Length 4,676 mm (184.1 in) est.
Width 1,885 mm (74.2 in) est.
Height 1,435 mm (56.5 in) est.
Supercharging capable
Base battery of < 60kWh

Options:
Extended-range battery pack
Dual-motor drive

A few post-reveal items Elon (or someone at Tesla) has said:

• Elon is anticipating the average selling price to be $42,000 and has said that the average battery size (totaled for all Model 3's sold in this estimate) will definitely be under 70kWh.
  • The trunk opening is already wider than shown in the prototypes.
  • AWD upgrade will be less than S/X version in cost (< $5,000).
  • Autopilot convenience features will be a paid upgrade.
  • There will be a limited available unlimited supercharger upgrade. (And the recent website leak showed a pay-per-kWh model alternative)
  • They'll be doing "the obvious thing" with Autopilot (presumably putting version 2 in, which has become pretty clear with the split from MobileEye).

Release timing:
  • July 1, 2017 is the target production start date. There is a high likelihood for delay as the car can't ship with even one part missing. Elon has said he intends to meet this goal and will terminate any suppliers that can't meet it.
  • Model 3s will be released in waves, starting with the west coast US then moving east. Tesla employees and current Tesla owners will be prioritized. International deliveries will presumably be shortly after full US release. Right hand drive models will be a bit later. They will not be delivering a car to everyone who ordered one in a region before moving to the next. The delayed rollout is simply to ease troubleshooting of the first cars off the production line.

Last edited:
Roof
All glass; panoramic and fixed options available
Based on what the Tesla "test ride" drivers stated at the Model 3 reveal, I would characterize the roof options slightly differently, as follows:

• Metal roof standard (the roof section to the rear the windshield and forward of the rear window)
  • Optional fixed glass roof
  • Optional panoramic roof (a "sunroof")

Reactions: Bennny and S'toon
Unless I missed it in the article, it doesn't say the unlimited supercharging access will be sold in a limited quantity or in a limited time frame as stated in original comment

[13:25] "In the future of course I think it will make sense to figure out how we phase in some kind of financial transaction here, but it's going to take time. And for the beginning, you know, million cars, this is a pretty viable way to do it." - JB, talking about free supercharging

Yes, we know there will be a "supercharger package", but we do not know anything about what it does/include. The article clearly guesses on that it will be like the "supercharger package" for the old TMS60, but that is not what Elon or Tesla have said. Yes, we can hope it is the same type of package, but we can not state that we know it will be.

[1:27] "it will not be free long distance for life unless you purchase that package" - Elon

Reactions: Red Sage
[1:27] "it will not be free long distance for life unless you purchase that package" - Elon

Yes, you are right, Elon did say that here.
But on the other hand, during the unveiling he did say [14:53] "And with respect to SuperCharging, all Model 3 will come with SuperCharging standard". After the unveiling "someone" at Tesla has clearly overridden this. And that was in a prepared speak. May it be a "slip of tung" or something answering an unprepared question from the audience? We do not know. But we know that they are preparing some kind of "pay pr. kWh", but we do not know whether they will carry out this.

But yes, this time you at least had a source :)

Yes, you are right, Elon did say that here.
But on the other hand, during the unveiling he did say [14:53] "And with respect to SuperCharging, all Model 3 will come with SuperCharging standard". After the unveiling "someone" at Tesla has clearly overridden this.]
Meaning the car has the SC hardware and thus SC capable w/o it being a configuration option.

[13:25] "In the future of course I think it will make sense to figure out how we phase in some kind of financial transaction here, but it's going to take time. And for the beginning, you know, million cars, this is a pretty viable way to do it." - JB, talking about free supercharging

ah, I remember it now! Thanks for reminding me.
Although I am cautiously assuming that that sentence has been 'overridden' with the potential introduction of charge by kWh. Of course I might be wrong :p

Meaning the car has the SC hardware and thus SC capable w/o it being a configuration option.
So, why did he not say so? He did say that the AP HW was included, but you had to get the configuration option to use more then the security functions from it. He did not say "And with respect to SuperCharging, all Model 3 will come with SuperCharging HW standard".
Yes, in the after-match where we now know it is not included in the base price, we may interpret what he said in that way as you say. And when we know how the supercharger options will be (and we do not know that yet, and that was my point), we will know how to interpret what he said at the shareholder meeting.

Reactions: Red Sage
So, why did he not say so? He did say that the AP HW was included, but you had to get the configuration option to use more then the security functions from it. He did not say "And with respect to SuperCharging, all Model 3 will come with SuperCharging HW standard".
Yes, in the after-match where we now know it is not included in the base price, we may interpret what he said in that way as you say. And when we know how the supercharger options will be (and we do not know that yet, and that was my point), we will know how to interpret what he said at the shareholder meeting.
Thanks. This is precisely the point I have put forth since April. That's why I thought there may be some limited Supercharger access included even for cars that had not specifically purchased the full option. I always focus on the '...for LIFE!' portion of the statement. Personally, I hope that Tesla allows for emergency charging for any car that arrives at a Supercharger with less than 5% capacity remaining.

A few post-reveal items Elon (or someone at Tesla) has said:

• Elon is anticipating the average selling price to be $42,000 and has said that the average battery size (totaled for all Model 3's sold in this estimate) will definitely be under 70kWh.
  • The trunk opening is already wider than shown in the prototypes.
  • AWD upgrade will be less than S/X version in cost (< $5,000).
  • Autopilot convenience features will be a paid upgrade.
  • There will be a limited available unlimited supercharger upgrade. (And the recent website leak showed a pay-per-kWh model alternative)
  • They'll be doing "the obvious thing" with Autopilot (presumably putting version 2 in, which has become pretty clear with the split from MobileEye).

Release timing:
  • July 1, 2017 is the target production start date. There is a high likelihood for delay as the car can't ship with even one part missing. Elon has said he intends to meet this goal and will terminate any suppliers that can't meet it.
  • Model 3s will be released in waves, starting with the west coast US then moving east. Tesla employees and current Tesla owners will be prioritized. International deliveries will presumably be shortly after full US release. Right hand drive models will be a bit later. They will not be delivering a car to everyone who ordered one in a region before moving to the next. The delayed rollout is simply to ease troubleshooting of the first cars off the production line.
Will the Model 3 come with Cruise Control?