Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lived in multiple climates as well and “know” about them. But there’s a difference between knowing and living it. Eg here, in Seattle, the car is great until you get that drizzly day. I can hypothesis that the wipers are going to be annoying. But living with it brings it home. They are (on certain days here) the worst wiper system of any car I’ve owned. And it’s something that Tesla could make better, but they don’t.
Er, I lived it for multiple years so I guess I know it AND lived it. You get plenty of drizzly days here too and my wipers work just fine. Perhaps occasionally when it really pours for a while and the wipers go to top speed, they don't always slow down as the rain abates. That happen very occasionally and I just manually override it. No biggie.

Crack the window not open if fully! LOL. The system works....the original complaint was that you need to SEE the defog button the entire time to make sure it was on.
It's not a very good solution tho. It is still quite slow, and not as effective as if the defrosters were actually on. Second, it doesn't always work as it depends on the relative humidity outside, plus sometimes depending on the weather, it will let a bunch of water inside the vehicle causing you to get wet, or make the window fogging worse, or both. Normally I would suggest to vent the sunroof, but the MY doesn't have one, lol.

Reactions: Boza
I lived in multiple climates as well and “know” about them. But there’s a difference between knowing and living it. Eg here, in Seattle, the car is great until you get that drizzly day. I can hypothesis that the wipers are going to be annoying. But living with it brings it home. They are (on certain days here) the worst wiper system of any car I’ve owned. And it’s something that Tesla could make better, but they don’t.
True, reflecting on this I seem to be an idiot. Paid 100k EUR for a car, finding myself struggling with HVAC and wipers. Again, best EV powertrain but.... well, you know. ☹️

Er, I lived it for multiple years so I guess I know it AND lived it. You get plenty of drizzly days here too and my wipers work just fine. Perhaps occasionally when it really pours for a while and the wipers go to top speed, they don't always slow down as the rain abates. That happen very occasionally and I just manually override it. No biggie.
If it was occasional I’d be fine. But it’s not. My sample set is small but we have 2M3 and both behave this way so it’s not. 1 off. Additionally there are a lot post on tmc with many other people complaining about the wipers. I’m glad they work well enough for you, but I believe it is something that has a problem which has, over years, not been addressed.

Reactions: freeAgent
If it was occasional I’d be fine. But it’s not. My sample set is small but we have 2M3 and both behave this way so it’s not. 1 off. Additionally there are a lot post on tmc with many other people complaining about the wipers. I’m glad they work well enough for you, but I believe it is something that has a problem which has, over years, not been addressed.
Same here... Of all the times that it rains, and I tried to use auto, 99% of the time it always goes to superspeed. And I've cleaned the windshield several times, including with a claybar, so I know it's not that. It seems to have a hard time with drizzle... If it rains a little harder, it works fine... But if it rains too hard, it again defaults to superspeed. It seems to struggle with PacNW rain. All my other cars, are a set and forget it. I would only occasionally get superspeed if there is sunglare while drizzling, but I can count on one hand the number of times that was an issue over the past several years. Our Tesla, I can count on one hand the number of times the wipers worked ok... Almost every time I have to constantly fumble with the wiper controls. Made worse, is the voice controls that are really shoddy. I can say "Set wiper speed ONE." and even "Set Wiper speed ONE of FOUR", and the text dictation works, as the display says, "Set wiper speed ONE (of FOUR)", but then when it executes, it sets the speed to TWO. I had to explicitly use the word "set", becuase otherwise half the time it would try to stream some song that had the word wipers in them. The only way I can get it to set speed to ONE, is to use the word LOW... And that's if it decides to work... Sometimes it can take up to 10+ seconds for it to actually execute, so I don't even bother with it anymore, I just tap the button.

Come to think of it, I have already disabled all “auto” features:
- The wipers, still in beta after 20 years of development in the space. My 2005 Audi had them working perfectly - probably because I had manual adjustment of the sensitivity.
- High beams, after 10 years of development in the space. I remember when Mercedes (I think) first came up with those.
- Screen brightness, after 20 years of development. Somehow, my iPhone 3GS did it perfectly.

So, no, automation does not work well in Tesla interface.

- High beams, after 10 years of development in the space. I remember when Mercedes (I think) first came up with those.
In the 70's my parents had a 60's-something Chrysler Imperial that had a "magic eye" on the dashboard that automatically dimmed the high beams when it detected oncoming traffic. You can see the sensor above the speedo in the images below. From the front, they even made it look like a human eye. So I'd say after almost 50 years of development in this space. :)

More details on this system: Automatic headlight dimmer - Wikicars -- actually goes back to the 50's!

1642251027525.png

1642251244895.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Boza
I was thinking about Elon's comment about V1 and not needing user interaction etc. This made me think just how ass backwards v11 is and utterly contradicts his philosophy. If the car is about automation and AI then surely the two things that are the least important are the maps (because autopilot/FSD) and the visualisation of the car and it's surrounding pictured on the lhs of the screen. If FSD was a real thing then surely the whole screen could be devoted to user centric feature like displaying current speed, comfort controls. No AI could ever predict or handle the whims of my wife and her need to have it freezing cold in winter and the seat heaters turned up to full in the hot Californian summer. But AI can calculate the route and thus maps could theoretically be somewhat obsolete other than for casual interest.

... No AI could ever predict or handle the whims of my wife and her need to have it freezing cold in winter and the seat heaters turned up to full in the hot Californian summer.
exactly. or yesterday, when we got in the car after work, forgetting to pre heat everything:

Seats were freezing cold (literally 28F). I wanted my seat heater on high, wife was loving the cold seat, helped with her hot flash going on. How does auto seat heating deal with that? lol, no.

Last edited:
exactly. or yesterday, when we got in the car after work, forgetting to pre heat everything:

Seats were freezing cold (literally 28F). I wanted my seat heater on high, wife was loving the cold seat, helped with her hot flash going on. How does auto seat heating deal with that? lol, no.
If she wants to stay cold you turn passenger air temperature down and the auto seat heaters will turn down to low or off.

Using AI to control highly subjective things like my butt temperature preference is ridiculous. AI cannot predict my physical and emotional state. Hell, sometimes I cannot predict it.
For objective things like defogger, until the AI is at the state that is better than a human, the human must have an easy way to override it. Don’t mention voice commands that don’t always work or multiple taps - that is not “easy”.
I am shocked that such company that claims to be so advanced is ignorant to such fundamental concepts. I had some doubts after a couple SC visits but now my trust is completely destroyed. Cannot wait for an alternative to come to the market.

If she wants to stay cold you turn passenger air temperature down and the auto seat heaters will turn down to low or off.
OK, good to know. So my normal cabin temp at 66, fan 2 or 3, seat heaters on high is not possible with Auto seat heaters?

And 2, I know this is super edge case, and the solution is to just turn off auto (which we never use anyway) but we also had both windows open and both sides set to pretty cold, she could not even deal with heat on my side.

Day before, she picks me up and has both windows wide open, 35F outside, and the heat blasting on her feet at 85F fan high, seat heater off.

We will never be happy.

The point is, don't bury the manual controls, ever. The times we want weird stuff, it should be intuitive and simple, easy to figure out without thinking about it.

If I have to sit in the driveway and learn a bunch of stuff, you failed.

Using AI to control highly subjective things like my butt temperature preference is ridiculous. AI cannot predict my physical and emotional state. Hell, sometimes I cannot predict it.
For objective things like defogger, until the AI is at the state that is better than a human, the human must have an easy way to override it. Don’t mention voice commands that don’t always work or multiple taps - that is not “easy”.
I am shocked that such company that claims to be so advanced is ignorant to such fundamental concepts. I had some doubts after a couple SC visits but now my trust is completely destroyed. Cannot wait for an alternative to come to the market.

Yes, but instead of an alternative car… I can not wait until Tesla does an internal reorg to make their sw team to make it operate in a more appropriate for what they now need.

OK, good to know. So my normal cabin temp at 66, fan 2 or 3, seat heaters on high is not possible with Auto seat heaters?

And 2, I know this is super edge case, and the solution is to just turn off auto (which we never use anyway) but we also had both windows open and both sides set to pretty cold, she could not even deal with heat on my side.

Day before, she picks me up and has both windows wide open, 35F outside, and the heat blasting on her feet at 85F fan high, seat heater off.

We will never be happy.

The point is, don't bury the manual controls, ever. The times we want weird stuff, it should be intuitive and simple, easy to figure out without thinking about it.

If I have to sit in the driveway and learn a bunch of stuff, you failed.
That is super edge case lol. I see where you’re coming from. I’m an auto type of guy I guess. Set my temp to 68 in winter 70 in summer and hardly ever touch climate control. Hopefully they improve v11 so most people are happier with it. They won’t ever make everyone happy.

Reactions: jabloomf1230
That is super edge case lol. I see where you’re coming from. I’m an auto type of guy I guess. Set my temp to 68 in winter 70 in summer and hardly ever touch climate control. Hopefully they improve v11 so most people are happier with it. They won’t ever make everyone happy.
Here is the thing: most of us are 'edge cases'. By 'us' I mean everybody. You might be happy with the auto seat heaters, but clearly many are not. This should surprise nobody, but amazingly it seems to. I suspect there are other things in your life (or in the car) where your preference is far enough away from the mean to make an automatic system annoying/useless. Perhaps not though :)

Here is the thing: most of us are 'edge cases'. By 'us' I mean everybody. You might be happy with the auto seat heaters, but clearly many are not. This should surprise nobody, but amazingly it seems to. I suspect there are other things in your life (or in the car) where your preference is far enough away from the mean to make an automatic system annoying/useless. Perhaps not though :)
A loud upset minority can easily be perceived as “everybody.” Most owners are just driving and enjoying their cars everyday.

A loud upset minority can easily be perceived as “everybody.” Most owners are just driving and enjoying their cars everyday.
You don't have any evidence to back that up. I don't have any evidence to claim otherwise since neither one of us has polled a representative sample of owners. However, my point was more to automation in general. It will never be an acceptable justification for removing good (and safe) user controls, and should ALWAYS be the users choice to use it or not.

Reactions: Amped412
THings to remember here. Compared to many traditional cars like the Nissan Altima I was given as a rental while the Tesla was in for maintenance, I have alwyas found the Tesla UI incredibly intuitive. I think Tesla started so strong and was so much better than any alternative it has thrown into sharp relief whatever catastrophe happened in the software/UI/UX department of late (could just be Elon getting crazier and not sticking to his lane). Getting into the Altima and trying to use their touch screen was awful and this was a brand new zero mileage car. Other modern cars with sleek new screens are overwhelmed with options, menus and the like. Tesla has shined with it's minimalism and pared down UI which just works and just features what you need. I hate Apple products and love my Android phone but clearly Tesla has always been the Apple and everyone else Android in terms of ease of use and in my car I would rather simplicity over options. V11 is a sort of horrible hybrid between Android and Apple design and fails in every way as a result. That all being said, now I have got use to the idea that to do anything I just need to hit that on screen car button conveniently placed just by my right hand within finger reach and then I can access most/much of what I need it's not so terrible. That said I can't forgive actually removing features, simple things like the time elapsed etc. from the podcast display, the broken "favourites" display in the music that just shows random channels and things, and then just removing a bunch of useful info on the main screen.