Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that unhappy users are more vocal and probably the polls here are skewed. But absent PR department at Tesla, how would you know what the real picture is?
I don’t know what the real picture is. It’s just my guess. I just don’t see them making any of the big changes people want. Remember the commotion v10 created with the bigger fsd visualization window that made the map smaller? That hasn’t changed in years.

I agree that unhappy users are more vocal and probably the polls here are skewed. But absent PR department at Tesla, how would you know what the real picture is?
The thing is, I've never seen this degree of displeasure with any of the past updates. Some grumbling, yes, but most of it was some form of "I don't like how it looks." With V11, it goes much deeper than that, bordering on vitriol, and the people who actually like it are few and far between. Even among those, many seem to be saying "yeah, it's not great, but it's not that bad." And this is amongst a group of owners that in general truly loves their cars.

Another issue I have noticed. I can't end a phone call if I have turn signal on, because the blind spot camera display blocks the buttons. This has happened a couple of times when I want to end a phone call while sitting at light waiting for left turn. Anyone has a workaround besides asking the other caller to end the call?

Another issue I have noticed. I can't end a phone call if I have turn signal on, because the blind spot camera display blocks the buttons. This has happened a couple of times when I want to end a phone call while sitting at light waiting for left turn. Anyone has a workaround besides asking the other caller to end the call?
What happens if you click the phone app?

Otherwise all I can think of is to turn off the turn signal, hang up and put it back on again. If that's what you have to do it's a good indication of how poorly they thought this system through.

You can swipe down on the camera

More driving in the mountains and I hate this thing even more! I used to be able to turn on the defogger _without looking_ at the screen. Now, I had to pull over (literally) to do that.
I don’t care about being able to fart, drive on Mars, play Sonic or any other BS. I bought this car to drive it and it fails at that now.
BTW: I could not stand the audio abomination. Thank God for the bluetooth! I switched back to using the phone. Tonight will install the cradle I had from a few cars ago.

More driving in the mountains and I hate this thing even more! I used to be able to turn on the defogger _without looking_ at the screen. Now, I had to pull over (literally) to do that.
I don’t care about being able to fart, drive on Mars, play Sonic or any other BS. I bought this car to drive it and it fails at that now.
BTW: I could not stand the audio abomination. Thank God for the bluetooth! I switched back to using the phone. Tonight will install the cradle I had from a few cars ago.
The quickest way I’ve found is swipe up from anywhere on the button of the screen without having to look. It brings up the full climate menu. Then press the defogger button within the full climate menu.

• Informative
Reactions: Boza
Another weird “feature”.
Before, the moment I switch to drive the toy box closes and the car goes into “drive mode”. Now, a pop up appears in the upper left side, with totally different font and look (almost like a debug window) asking me to exit the toy box. Otherwise, the car does not start. If you happened to press the brake first then you not only have to close the window but also release the brake, wait a few seconds, then press it again and then switch to drive.

I would be shocked if this went into any kind of usability testing :(

Swiping up does turn on and bring up the full HVAC - thanks! Still need to look for the button, though.

BTW, why we have two buttons in the HVAC for the front seat heaters? I would rather have the second pair in the app tray.

Best thing to do is to crack the window for a bit...works wonders...I used to live in London so know ALL about wet cold weather!
Sorry, not the solution for real winter conditions. The floor is always wet from snowmelt, so interior humidity will be high and windows will fog up extremely quickly in recirc - even with AC on. I played around with it yesterday just to make sure it was the same with Teslas HVAC design I found the windshield fogged up in a minute or so, but took 5 minutes to clear with recirc off and AC on. Crack a window when it's way below freezing outside and the heat pump can barely keep up as it is? I think not!!!

Crack the window not open if fully! LOL. The system works....the original complaint was that you need to SEE the defog button the entire time to make sure it was on.
I was driving in freezing drizzle at -10C last week (rain at -10, go figure). The car was cold-soaked and the windshield started building a coating of ice pretty quickly. Defrost was easy to engage and the bottom part of the windshield cleared as it warmed up. Then I got off the highway and with less cold airflow outside the defroster heat started drying the salt so I couldn't see again. Switched defrost off , and also manually de-selected windshield heat so the glass would stay wet. Then I started driving faster and the situation reversed again. It was very stressful, and in hindsight I was very grateful to have quick access to the HVAC status and controls. V11 may be fine where there's no real winter but those of us in northern latitudes need more consideration of the realities we face. Auto climate and wipers are useless in the winter, so when manual operation is required the driver needs direct access to the system status and controls.

It would be very helpful if those who continue to defend V11 as just requiring minor adaptation could acknowledge that their driving experience may not reflect what others have to deal with.

Last edited:
I just say "My butt is cold" and it comes on.
I say "Turn off seat heater" and it goes off. I don't mess with menus. Some say they have trouble with voice commands in poor cellular areas, but I haven't experienced that yet.
Just so it's clear, it's not a case of "some say they have trouble". Voice commands require a cell connection to function, period. If cell connectivity is spotty or absent, voice commands will not work.

The thing is, I've never seen this degree of displeasure with any of the past updates. Some grumbling, yes, but most of it was some form of "I don't like how it looks." With V11, it goes much deeper than that, bordering on vitriol, and the people who actually like it are few and far between. Even among those, many seem to be saying "yeah, it's not great, but it's not that bad." And this is amongst a group of owners that in general truly loves their cars.
...and it they're to be believed, some have even listed their cars for sale. That's a pretty serious reaction.

Same problem with V10 (and I assume V11) if the seatbelt card is being displayed when an incoming call arrives. I had to pick up from the phone screen.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I keep wondering, how is Hertz going to deal with the direction that Tesla is headed? It's one thing to familiarize yourself with V11 peculiarities when you're already used to V10, but finding the important controls is going to be a dangerous challenge for a Tesla neophyte renter who has to get to a business meeting soon after their delayed flight arrival.

Come to think of it, I owned at least 6-7 cars and I have been very active on their forums. I have never seen such strong reaction. Even VW dieselgate was muted compared to this.
I have enough real life issues to deal with; no need for artificial one created by Tesla UI team. For me the car is a tool, not a toy box. Just imagine contractors reaction if they do something like this with the Cybertruck. We would seem super civilized…

I keep wondering, how is Hertz going to deal with the direction that Tesla is headed? It's one thing to familiarize yourself with V11 peculiarities when you're already used to V10, but finding the important controls is going to be a dangerous challenge for a Tesla neophyte renter who has to get to a business meeting soon after their delayed flight arrival.
In some ways it may be less of an issue - when you rent a car, you're unfamiliar with it and you know it so most people take a few minutes ti figure things out. Of course if they need a control and they can't see it and can't remember it, that's an issue. As is distraction. It's very easy to spend more time than you realize looking down at the screen and not realize that your'e about to run into a car that stoped ahead of you.

Reactions: smogne41 and Boza