Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I haven't been here much for most of this year, but I'm making a special return appearance to tell you everything I don't like about V11. I'm sure I'll forget some things, so it'll probably take a few posts. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Tesla should be paying me as a consultant on their UI's before they release the updates. I'll tell them what they are doing wrong.

I downloaded V11 this morning (Merry Christmas!) and took one short drive and I already see numerous problems.

The TL;DR version - everything is either ok or needs to be put back how it was. I didn't see one single thing that I thought was an improvement.

One thing we've never had that we need is the ability to set the default headlight setting to OFF. For 3-1/2 years I've been getting in my 3, entering PIN to drive, opening Controls, and turning the lights off manually. I'm a big boy, I can decide for myself when the headlights need to be on.

The mileage / power and trip meters were removed from the bottom left and put in the Controls screen. Why? And then they removed the tenths digit from the trip meters! Now how am I supposed to know when I've driven a mile AND A HALF? Nice double fail, Tesla! Can't even swipe sideways in the bottom left of the screen to bring them up like they've been since I bought my car in May 2018!

Heater controls are different. Not really good or bad, but they didn't need improved.

That "customize" X at the center of the bottom edge -- there is NOT ONE THING in the available icons that I ever use. So it is useless to me. I play no games in the car, or caraoke, or web surf while driving. And I'm alone in my car 99.9% of the time, so no need to entertain passengers. Put the battery icon there, not just the energy graph which I almost never use. Put the trip mileage meters there.

The battery / charge icon opens into the Controls screen to show the battery now, instead of the old dedicated battery screen. That was a change we didn't need.

Turning the streaming channels off, like AP news or Comedy stations or whatever - I used to just tap the Phone icon next to the Streaming icon. Can't do that anymore.

I'll think of more the next time I drive somewhere later today. So far I see V11 as one big bad idea.

We should have the option to select which version of the UI we want. I jumped from 10.2 to 11.fail . There's more than enough memory in computers these days to store the different versions.

Last edited:
I haven't been here much for most of this year, but I'm making a special return appearance to tell you everything I don't like about V11. I'm sure I'll forget some things, so it'll probably take a few posts. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Tesla should be paying me as a consultant on their UI's before they release the updates. I'll tell them what they are doing wrong.

I downloaded V11 this morning (Merry Christmas!) and took one short drive and I already see numerous problems.

The TL;DR version - everything is either ok or needs to be put back how it was. I didn't see one single thing that I thought was an improvement.

One thing we've never had that we need is the ability to set the default headlight setting to OFF. For 3-1/2 years I've been getting in my 3, entering PIN to drive, opening Controls, and turning the lights off manually. I'm a big boy, I can decide for myself when the headlights need to be on.

The mileage / power and trip meters were removed from the bottom left and put in the Controls screen. Why? And then they removed the tenths digit from the trip meters! Now how am I supposed to know when I've driven a mile AND A HALF? Nice double fail, Tesla! Can't even swipe sideways in the bottom left of the screen to bring them up like they've been since I bought my car in May 2018!

Heater controls are different. Not really good or bad, but they didn't need improved.

That "customize" X at the center of the bottom edge -- there is NOT ONE THING in the available icons that I ever use. So it is useless to me. I play no games in the car, or caraoke, or web surf while driving. And I'm alone in my car 99.9% of the time, so no need to entertain passengers. Put the battery icon there, not just the energy graph which I almost never use. Put the trip mileage meters there.

The battery / charge icon opens into the Controls screen to show the battery now, instead of the old dedicated battery screen. That was a change we didn't need.

Turning the streaming channels off, like AP news or Comedy stations or whatever - I used to just tap the Phone icon next to the Streaming icon. Can't do that anymore.

I'll think of more the next time I drive somewhere later today. So far I see V11 as one big bad idea.
Totally agree with you. I’m still trying to figure out how to use voice commands to get where I want to be in the sub menus. Thanks to all on this forum for helping me. So far I’m getting pretty good at using voice to do what I want to do. But I still don’t think I should have to go through these hoops where before the buttons I need were right on the screen before. Hopefully a new update will fix these issues, but I’m not holding my breath.

We should have the option to select which version of the UI we want. I jumped from 10.2 to 11.fail . There's more than enough memory in computers these days to store the different versions.
I agree 100 per cent. This update is awful. I hate having to use multiple buttons to get what I want. It's not a safe way to try to get to what you might need while driving.
The option to see the blind spots when using the turn signal is great. The issue is its in the wrong place. It needs to be further up the screen so it doesn't hide the giant red vehicle that is in the lane. I have to move my arm to see the screen and blind spot camera. I can no longer find my Spotify stations the way I did before the update. Nothing like the grandkids in the back asking why they can't hear their Playlist. They're 3 and 5. Try explaining to them that it was a silly Tesla update
I'm trying to find some positive points in the update. Any ideas?
Merry Merry

THANKS! I agree 100% This version is crap!

I haven't been here much for most of this year, but I'm making a special return appearance to tell you everything I don't like about V11.

Just think, this is what they came up with after delaying last year's release by a full year. They added a complete extra year of development time, and this was what they dropped on us.

Agree - V11 was a total downgrade. Updated it this morning and had to make some Xmas drop offs during the rain in SoCal… nothing is intuitive anymore. Why are the windshield wipers buried in the Control menu with tiny icons that are impossible to click on while trying to drive in the rain? Why are the front seat warmer icons also equally buried in the now crappier HVAC controls? Why do the interior schematic of the seats only allow you to turn on the rear seat warmers?

This is a total crap show. Gimme back my old version!

I too haven't commented in a long time, but this update gave me reason to do so again.

I can't stress enough how much I absolutely HATE this update. Not one (to me) useful feature added, but so many tried and trusted things removed or changed in ways that imho don't improve upon the previous status quo in any way.
Most of all I hate the removal of the trip info tab, or the tabs in general, that used to be visible at the bottom left of the screen, below the image of the car.
WHY in the name of Elon did they remove this vital information and bury it in the controls submenu?

At least make it configurable that you can make it return to where it was if you want to.

Also that seat heating controls are now only accessible via the climate submenu is a major drawback to me, especially now in winter.

Plus the new font for the speed you are driving at is way too thin for my liking. Again, a change for the worse where none was necessary.

Seriously, this is the first time since I got the car that I am going to write a mail to Tesla service to complain. I hope many others will do so as well (I know my colleagues who drive Model 3s will do so too, as they are also furious about these changes).
How stupid can one be to let something like this pass through to general release?

Agree - V11 was a total downgrade. Updated it this morning and had to make some Xmas drop offs during the rain in SoCal… nothing is intuitive anymore. Why are the windshield wipers buried in the Control menu with tiny icons that are impossible to click on while trying to drive in the rain? Why are the front seat warmer icons also equally buried in the now crappier HVAC controls? Why do the interior schematic of the seats only allow you to turn on the rear seat warmers?

This is a total crap show. Gimme back my old version!

They're not buried. Just tap the button on the end of the stalk and it literally comes up on the screen for you. Same with the lights.

My biggest complaint is the seat warmers. Why remove a dedicated button for something that gets used probably by most people driving during colder months?? Does not make sense at all and if they did feel it necessary, why not make them an option instead of stupid games or social media crap you shouldn’t be using while driving anyway?? Makes you wonder what NHSTA will say about these changes or if they even know about them. Tesla seems to be thinking they are selling an entertainment machine rather than a transportation device.

My biggest complaint is the seat warmers. Why remove a dedicated button for something that gets used probably by most people driving during colder months?? Does not make sense at all and if they did feel it necessary, why not make them an option instead of stupid games or social media crap you shouldn’t be using while driving anyway?? Makes you wonder what NHSTA will say about these changes or if they even know about them. Tesla seems to be thinking they are selling an entertainment machine rather than a transportation device.

Because they automated it now. And Elon hates buttons. lol

Agree with most posts here… this version does not improve the driving experience.

Windshield wipers are not as easy to turn off - which is a pain when the wipers trigger at the slightest glare. I find myself having to constantly squirt fluid on my windows just to prevent the wipers from scratching a dry windshield.

I also dislike burying of the seat heater buttons inside a menu just to make room for easier access to Toybox and other entertainment options.

im sure I’ll get used to v11 but that doesn’t make it a good UI.

Tesla as usual will offer us something new and somewhat innovative. Delivered un polished, and will be tinkered with until the next holiday season tease. Each time updating and making us feel special. Hey I get it. It is cool to update.

Rinse repeat. Year after year sometimes hot as sugar, most often lump of smoldering coal.

Daytime running lamp out post running the light show 5 times on the 3.

So glad I didn't get this for the S. I know I am a minority. Who wants subpar newness? I guess the masses.

Let me repeat the common responses I've received and/or read over the years:
  • You just hate change
  • You are shorting the stock
  • Elon knows best
  • You should be grateful for over-the-air updates and not complain
  • Go drive a Camry instead
  • It's still the best car out there, so hush
  • Let's see you do better
  • It's better than an X
  • You'll grow to love it
It sounds like the latest update is a real crap show, but in my opinion virtually every upgrade since I bought the car in 2015 has been a steady slide down hill.
All I can say is, get used to it. That's just how it goes.