Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sigh. OK, let me spell it out for you...I am not arguing it is better than the old one. I am arguing that it is BETTER for me! You seem to fail to grasp the difference? I believe that for me this version is BETTER than v10. It is BETTER for me and apparently for many others who have upvoted v11 over v10. If it isn't better for you then do something about it!
moreover UX decisions should never be made with the 1 person or minority in mind

I am sure Tesla know more about UX than either of us...put in your ticket too and wait for the results...better than moaning for days on end right?
I've filed something to the NHTSA already. It'll be much more likely to get Tesla to respond through a regulatory agency than going with them directly. I've also already told the service center to revert be back to v10.

They did promise this, and when last year's holiday release came, people absolutely panned it mercilessly. Elon gave his infamous "🔥🔥" tweet to describe what was coming. Then when his Twitter friends asked what the heck was so great, he said all we got was "🔥" and that Tesla would need to redesign. We got half of the update from last year, basically, and the second half came this year. This was the other "🔥".

Making matters even worse, it's not just a pure copy from the Plaid S, because several features that work there do not exist in the 3/Y. For example, pressing the wiper button, then scrolling the wheel to adjust manual speed modes. But this is sort of what they've done every year. They make some features harder to use, or worse, or just remove them, people complain, Tesla does nothing about it and releases an even worse update the following year.

Sure. Mid-year we'll probably get more breaking changes, firmware bugs, and a promise of an amazing winter release. Which features do you think they're going to remove or bury deeper? I, for one, expect the TeslaCam clip save button to just be removed completely. They've already made it worse twice, so next stop is taking it away.

Don't be too sure about that. They've had business people down on the factory floor in the past, so I see no reason they wouldn't assume someone writing C++ for QT UI widgets wouldn't be able to write C++ for driving controls.

The system they use is QT on top of Linux, so it's certainly not a problem of rigidity. And I'm sure there's got to be some very talented people over there writing software. My honest opinion is that this is a Design By Elon issue, just like the "auto" wipers that lack manual speed controls and a rain sensor.
Where is the manual DashCam clip save button now? I can’t find it anywhere and I save a lot of clips to show my soon to be driving son all the stupid things drivers do that he needs to look out for.

Reactions: tyguy
I have serious problems with defroster and defogger controls taken off main screen. Live in Northern MI, and tesla sir handling in cold weather is terrible unless you manually and frequently use defogger controls. The movement of these controls is UNSAT and UN SAFE.
I agree. It should be presented as a safety concern to NHTSA: Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA

I tested this out yesterday.....two basic options from what I can see:

Option 1.....upon receipt, text message shows up in a box like before, it's smaller and in lower left corner where notifications all seem to hit. The text is also read over the speakers like before.
Option 2....once a text string is started, you can use the text icon, and this pulls up all your text history with whomever you're texting with, more like what's on your phone. It also shows multiple text companions on the left side of the window.

From what I've observed, it appears to be better than before, but I may get criticized for pointing that out. :) You can still control or create the texts also with verbal commands.
As I had no idea the text part changed, thanks for this description. I had no idea why I'd want the messages icon as a short-cut. Now I do.

Yes but it isn't fast enough to hit that button when you literally can not see out of the window for a few seconds. Scared the hell out of me at the time. I do think this iteration of the UI is just more Elon nonsense which I have got used to over the years so it doesn't bother me that much.
To be fair, the wipers have always been slow to react. I don't think the UI change (given the option to continue to use the stock to pull up the menu) is worse than before.

Note: I haven't driven my car yet, I've just sat in it for an hour going over things and working on muscle memory, so it is possible that the wipers are slower to react than before, but I doubt it.

Look v11 is an absolute POS. From the tragic" iOS circa 5 years ago/Android free icon pack pretending to be iOS from 5 years ago" icons to ask them missing and moved featured. So many things missing and hard to find. The more I used it the more features I find missing I didn't even realise I used. Driving on autopilot I wanted to see where the supercharger was. Oh crap where is the lightning bolt icon gone? I had to Google it and best car was use voice command because while navigating the search box is unavailable. Then I wanted to see how much time was last on my podcast to find there is no timer, just a stupid line. My wife had as meltdown trying to find the driver profiles. Still no idea how to add one. Then I wanted to know how the reception was and has to dig into to car menu after googling it. If you far to Google the most basic of functions that's an automatic fail. Tesla UI was always tremendous compared to the mess created by other companies. There was no need for apple car play or Android auto, but after this fiasco they had better fix some stuff fast, it's embarrassing how bad this is. Not even to mention visually how awful the layout is. Don't get me started on the damn keyboard.. surely there been some mistake. Elon had better fire everyone that allowed this thing to go into production.
Or course some of the new features like the turn indicator camera are great if haphazardly implemented . The whole thing lacks polish and looks as if too many engineers got too involved in the UX team.

Where is the manual DashCam clip save button now? I can’t find it anywhere and I save a lot of clips to show my soon to be driving son all the stupid things drivers do that he needs to look out for.

Tap the car icon on the bottom of the screen, on the first pane that opens, half way down the screen, on the farthest side from the driver, the status button is present telling you that dashcam is recording. Press that button and it will save the last clip as normal. Instead of an always on screen button, now you get to dive through a menu when you might need to quickly save something. Absolute genius.

Always complain to NTSHA is not helped Tesla they be finned and if to much complains all newspapers and tv's tell bad about Tesla it's that you want !!!
If you can't wait change company car If you think the others is better they had others problems but drivers not complains like this I never saw that on others company drivers is like kids didn't received is Christmas present. ! I'm not a boomer and not a kid.

we heard 'they will let us customize things, dont worry'. and then a year went by. and this is what we get?

there must be more, later, right? this isn't customization. letting the user control more of the layout and noise would be worth the year wait.

and as many know, you dont just move UI guys to FSD groups or other radical changes. in fact, I'd be scared to drive a car that had GUI guys anywhere near the safety systems or the drive systems.

so its not a resource issue. the ui guys are ui guys and any corp focus on fsd wont take ui guys away from their tasks.

maybe they tried a bunch of things during last year and none of them worked. and this was the only working subset they could dare release?

at any rate, color me highly unimpressed. either their people are not great or their system is so rigid, this was the best they could do.
I too am HIGHLY disappointed. I have Tweeted Elon about this, expressing my disappointment in no uncertain terms, and saying "it sucks".

• Funny
Reactions: Canyonero
Here is my take...I agree with many this in many critical ways is a step backwards:

1) Controls should be customizable on the bottom, just like Apps are. You should be able to place front/rear defrost, heated seat control, etc, on the bottom row. Removing them to a secondary menu when there is ample space available is no good.
2) Removal of the "cards" is another step backwards. If anything card functionality should have been expanded. Trip statistics and tire pressure now is hidden in a secondary menu. If you want to view this you lose access to the map. Big fail in my opinion. Cards need to be brought back or at least the Trip information needs to be placed on the left side and visible while driving. This affects anyone taking a longer trip who likes to monitor their efficiency, see how far they have traveled, etc. Big loss of functionality and I am really upset at this.
3) Smaller fonts and icons....does Tesla not listen? Many people have been asking for LARGER fonts for years. At least the option to change font sizes. I don't like the smaller autopilot icon - too small. The GUI should be font-sensitive. Looks like it is not. Bad coding. They would need to re-write the entire GUI to support this most likely, which is probably why they haven't done it.
4) Placement of the blind spot camera is not optimal and sort of looks like a hack. I have found myself looking DOWN at that image and not in my mirrors or over my shoulder as I should. Still thinking about this one but I think placing it at the TOP of the screen would have been better. It would be closer to being in-line with your sight. Also it is not fast enough sometimes to display. It's like a 1/2 second or 1/4 of a second too slow to come up. It seems to be a tiny bit variable. Anyway a light in the mirror is still better. Most cars have this now and Tesla should bite the bullet and put a blind spot indicator light in the mirror.
5) Fan adjustment is just a slider. There should be + and - icons on either side of the slider. I find myself jabbing at the circle to try to raise or lower the fan while driving, especially if you have to reach a bit (eg. your arms aren't super long or your seating position is further back). + and - icons would be easier to press. And more accurate.
6) They took away the minutes/seconds display of a song (in streaming anyway). First thing my autistic son mentioned to me. He also said everything looks smaller. Also I don't really like the switch to two-row and thus smaller album art. Yes I know you can swipe up to get bigger art. Still. I liked it better before with the larger album art icons all the time.
7) Many of the screens don't have an X to close it. You have to swipe down or press the car button for them to go away. But it's not consistent. Anyway there is space for the X so why take it away?
8) Current driver profile is now missing from the top of the screen. I liked to know what profile I'm in and be quickly able to change it. The car does not always get it right so I have to manually switch it sometimes, especially when leaving my house - if my wife's phone is still within bluetooth range it will think it is her even when I sit down in the car to drive away with my phone.

I am sure there are other things I will find, but overall I am not happy about this update. I get a feeling Tesla doesn't listen to customers or actually think about functionality needed while driving, especially for those in colder climates where quick access to heated seat control, defrost control, and efficiency information are very important.
Totally agree with EVERYTHING you wrote! Please, let us ALL Tweet Elon about how much this version sucks, and ask him to get on top of it asap.

Reactions: Sdjtd and tonyb99
Timk225 speaks for me too!
I too haven't commented in a long time, but this update gave me reason to do so again.

I can't stress enough how much I absolutely HATE this update. Not one (to me) useful feature added, but so many tried and trusted things removed or changed in ways that imho don't improve upon the previous status quo in any way.
Most of all I hate the removal of the trip info tab, or the tabs in general, that used to be visible at the bottom left of the screen, below the image of the car.
WHY in the name of Elon did they remove this vital information and bury it in the controls submenu?

At least make it configurable that you can make it return to where it was if you want to.

Also that seat heating controls are now only accessible via the climate submenu is a major drawback to me, especially now in winter.

Plus the new font for the speed you are driving at is way too thin for my liking. Again, a change for the worse where none was necessary.

Seriously, this is the first time since I got the car that I am going to write a mail to Tesla service to complain. I hope many others will do so as well (I know my colleagues who drive Model 3s will do so too, as they are also furious about these changes).
How stupid can one be to let something like this pass through to general release?
Couldn't agree more. I have said it before and I'll say it again: let's ALL Tweet Elon and tell him how much Version 11 sucks, with links to this thread; and ask him to get on top of it ASAP.

moreover UX decisions should never be made with the 1 person or minority in mind
you think it was one guy who pushed this thru?

I bet there was a lot of discussion and testing. this was not something someone did as a midnight hack.

tesla fully likes what they did. this is fully intentional. the release cycle for car firmware is 'not just one guy' and a lot of approvals need to be had before its released ;)

basically, telsa fully approved of all of this, with eyes wide open.