Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i love tesla. . . but i just tried a nice audi etron gt. . . with all those nice buttons (one for each function) without having to press 5 times to turn on the seats or speak with voice commands (which work once in three)
I heartily agree you need to go back to cars with buttons if it is taking you 5 presses to turn on the seat heaters...for the rest of the world it is one swipe and a press. Buy hey, you just carry on doing your best to spread FUD!

I heartily agree you need to go back to cars with buttons if it is taking you 5 presses to turn on the seat heaters...for the rest of the world it is one swipe and a press. Buy hey, you just carry on doing your best to spread FUD!
I don't even swipe 🤣 Just tap the temp number, and the seat heaters pop up. I actually prefer this because I never use seat heaters. But it'll be interesting to see what it looks like after these "UI improvements" Elon speaks of.

I don't even swipe 🤣 Just tap the temp number, and the seat heaters pop up. I actually prefer this because I never use seat heaters. But it'll be interesting to see what it looks like after these "UI improvements" Elon speaks of.
Yes you can do that but the benefit of swipe is you don't need to look at screen to tap twice, just swipe up and then look for seat heater. Whatever suits you best. I am like you, never use seat heaters myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sporty
Tap the screen in an empty space on the map. Three icons on the far side will appear- stop light, a map pin, and a globe. Touch the pin icon and it'll show you all kinds of location names and icons, including chargers.

Hitting the old supercharger button showed the supercharger irrespective of the zoom level. Now the chargers are only shown at certain zoom levels which makes planning a long distance trip slightly harder. It was a dumb and unnecessary thing to do.

Hitting the old supercharger button showed the supercharger irrespective of the zoom level. Now the chargers are only shown at certain zoom levels which makes planning a long distance trip slightly harder. It was a dumb and unnecessary thing to do.

Yup. The design was a bad choice on every level. Just noting how you do it now to try to help.

This update so much reminds me of the yoke/stalk and Henry Ford’s “You can have any color car, so long as it is black”.
Everyone has an opinion and mature companies, who realize that, give options.
Yeah, I was watching a review of the Ioniq 5 recently. It is shocking after living in no-choice Tesla land for a while how many options you have just with driving. You can turn off traction control, you have multiple level of regen selectable by physical controls, and many more. Or try going through the Porsche Taycan configurator, so many trim options. It is weird that with Tesla being in principal so configurable to individual taste through software that Tesla decides to go the opposite way and try and have absolute uniformity. Also interesting regarding regen level, the CAN bus settings exist in the 3/Y for regen from 0 to 100% in 25% steps, even in the new cars with all regen settings removed from the screen (you can buy aftermarket dongles that open that up for you). For some reason Tesla does not want to give choices for personal preference even at literally no cost to them. Very odd indeed.

Yeah, I was watching a review of the Ioniq 5 recently. It is shocking after living in no-choice Tesla land for a while how many options you have just with driving. You can turn off traction control, you have multiple level of regen selectable by physical controls, and many more. Or try going through the Porsche Taycan configurator, so many trim options. It is weird that with Tesla being in principal so configurable to individual taste through software that Tesla decides to go the opposite way and try and have absolute uniformity. Also interesting regarding regen level, the CAN bus settings exist in the 3/Y for regen from 0 to 100% in 25% steps, even in the new cars with all regen settings removed from the screen (you can buy aftermarket dongles that open that up for you). For some reason Tesla does not want to give choices for personal preference even at literally no cost to them. Very odd indeed.
Unfortunately, I do not see a viable competitor yet. They either do not have the range, or the charging network, or have really weird solutions. Have you seen the Audi regen system? It is a poster for over engineering.
Tesla needs a strong competitor.

Reactions: Lexdysic and Sporty
i am a tesla owner since early 2019, i have had 3 tesla, i have always appreciated tesla and recommended the purchase (i still have 20000 km of free charge...) and i have done about 70.000 miles on these cars
BUT, this time, Tesla screwed up a lot, he modified a practically perfect car with a version that makes everything more complicated and, personal opinion, uglier to see.
If I spread FUD you are one of the biggest and most active tesla fanboys out there. . . you are probably paid to exalt anything even what goes against all logic

Close it with the huge button bottom left that automatically pops up...that way you don't block the screen...
Thanks , noticed it yesterday as well which again begs the question why have two places to do the same thing. I do prefer the top location by memory and ease of reach but now it taunts me because it's there and I can't use it.

Has anyone figured out how to hit the radio or Bluetooth button without it taking up the whole screen? Now that I'm thinking about it I'll have to try a swipe up.

The wiper 'workaround' as you call it, was there in v10 too. Regarding 'all the fiddle' about the temps mini screen...hitting temps up and down is the same as v10. Easier just to swipe up from the bottom of the screen and access all of it. You don't like 2 temp controllers? My passengers do...they can control their temp/seat heaters etc without having to lean over. As for accessing profiles, surely its just a question of showing your wife? I actually didn't tell my wife. I told her to press the car symbol on the lower left and work her way through the menus to get accustomed to it. She prefers v11 too now. Just a case of getting used to it.

NOTHING takes priority over removing a button, icon or piece of the car.

By the way, I test drove an Ioniq 5 recently. It really is a very, very nice car and has many features that Tesla really should have. It's implementation of the camera on indicator is way better too. I swear, if Tesla ever open up their supercharging network to other cars, I'll be gone. Oh.... Wait......

not a single person would be upset....

.... IF ...

there was a go-back feature.

come on tesla. make lemonade from this. put your big-boy pants on, update your architecture so that an undo is possible.

its not asking a lot and it really is time for this feature.

get to work.
Sounds reasonable. Then people could camp out on V10 until V11 got a few rounds of updates and settled in.

• Love
Reactions: Boza
Unfortunately, I do not see a viable competitor yet. They either do not have the range, or the charging network, or have really weird solutions. Have you seen the Audi regen system? It is a poster for over engineering.
Tesla needs a strong competitor.
So here is the thing with the Supercharger network, it is a fantastic advantage of Tesla (great coverage and seamless experience). However, the 'competition' is not as useless as many fanboys claim. Electrify America currently has 700 active locations (all US). If we go to supercarge.info/charts we can see that Tesla had 700 North American locations on April 28th 2019 (which includes Canada and Mexico). So in terms of number of locations EA is only about 2 years behind. Granted the locations are perhaps not as well-located as many Superchargers, and the locations usually only have 3-4 stalls, but it is still a viable network (for many).

So here is the thing with the Supercharger network, it is a fantastic advantage of Tesla (great coverage and seamless experience). However, the 'competition' is not as useless as many fanboys claim. Electrify America currently has 700 active locations (all US). If we go to supercarge.info/charts we can see that Tesla had 700 North American locations on April 28th 2019 (which includes Canada and Mexico). So in terms of number of locations EA is only about 2 years behind. Granted the locations are perhaps not as well-located as many Superchargers, and the locations usually only have 3-4 stalls, but it is still a viable network (for many).
It's not just the number of locations though. I think most EA charging location only got about 5 to 7 spots to charge where superchargers have 12 to 24 on average. I am not sure the expansion of EA is fast enough with the expansion of all the other EV cars that would use EA for charging. Ioniq 5 get 2 years free charging at EA I think.

I am thinking of buying another EV (already have 2 Tesla). I am looking between the Ioniq 5 and MY. However both of them are probably not available for another 6 months. Supercharger network does figured into the equation, but (staying on topic) V11 does not. I don't love the new UI, but I don't hate it either just need to get used to it. Even if I hate the new UI, I don't think it is going to sway me one way or another toward buying another Tesla or not. Now if the $7500 tax credit came back, yeah it is definitely going to point the needle back to the MY by a good margin.