Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how to get the record option back to record the last x minutes of video? It's extremely handy and seems to be missing from the new dashboard:

PXL_20211231_204027862.MP_2.jpg

Things that are harder now after the update:
  • Tire Pressure: Cold weather causes tires to reduce in pressure fast. You can't view the cold tire pressure when parked. You can only view it while driving. However, this is now in a menu that requires several button presses and is hard to see while driving.
  • Recording Video: There is still an option to save video recordings but it's now buried in a menu with no shortcut key. Again, dangerous while driving.
  • Viewing navigation directions on left side: When you have a menu like the music or energy open, it puts the navigation directions on the left side of the panel. They used to be at the top of the screen, but now are at the bottom. Problem is the steering wheel blocks the bottom left corner of the screen if I'm sitting where I should be while driving. That means directions are blocked too.
  • Changing map orientation/Viewing compass: I used to be able to press a button to change from North up/forward up/whole route on the map. Now you have to double-tap to see the option. I was trying to figure out if I was heading south (since the icon label changes), and couldn't figure out how to get that option back. Very annoying when driving in a snow storm and unsure if you are headed the right way.
  • Temp controls: I still can't figure out how to change the temperature. There's a new gesture and press and hold options, but I don't want to do either while driving. The old ones were much easier.

Does anyone know how to get the record option back to record the last x minutes of video? It's extremely handy and seems to be missing from the new dashboard:

View attachment 750877
You can't actually "get it back." You now have to either enable honk to save clip and honk your horn, access the Controls menu and physically hit the record button, or use voice control "save dashcam."

• Informative
Reactions: K5TRX and Sporty
I don't know if I'm the only person having this issue, but ever since v11 installed on my car, it's been automatically raising my (Bluetooth) volume to MAXIMUM every time my phone receives a notification. I don't know what's going on to cause this. I even tried disconnecting/forgetting my phone from the Bluetooth audio and reconnecting it, but it's still happening. Before v11, the car would remember my volume setting and not change it on its own (and certainly not to eardrum-bursting levels). It's extremely annoying, to say the least.

Does anyone have ideas or suggestions?

Reactions: Tezla1
Wait. What are you supposed to do when you are driving without LTE? Voice commands don't work!
And let’s face it - none of these documents come from Tesla. So, if the command does not work in emergency who would you call?!
Also, this whole voice commands thing reminds me of the dawn of RPG when the player types 10’s of commands until they match _exactly_ what the game expected. That was 40 years ago, FYI.

Wait. What are you supposed to do when you are driving without LTE? Voice commands don't work!
Do? Press buttons on the screen...re tire pressure...it is 2 taps as opposed to one swipe...a swipe that many did not like as it was often hit and miss. For recording...if you are concerned it is 'dangerous to hit a button then just honk your horn...no danger at all. Who cares about honking a horn if it avoids danger right? Re temperature...really you cant see the temperature display??? Just press the arrows left and right of the number and it lowers and raises the temp..simple

The change in control locations don't annoy that much but what does annoy the F out of me is the wasted screen space at the bottom right of my S display. View attachment 749095
Couldn't agree more. Not only that but the customizable app drawer is nice, but it would be nice to be able to put functions in it that are essential to driving the vehicle, you know like defrosters etc. It's funny I can put an icon in the app drawer for the arcade or ridiculous video games but I can't put one down there for my front or rear window defroggers etc.

About the voice commands. If the visual UI designers could ignore basic ergonomics why would anyone expect them to do well in the audio UI?!
“Childlock On” turns on the child lock. What would be the command to turn it off? Hint: it is not “Childlock Off”.
Voice commands are not the answer for messed up visual UI. They need to hire a automotive or aerospace UI designer, not game designer.

I haven't been here much for most of this year, but I'm making a special return appearance to tell you everything I don't like about V11. I'm sure I'll forget some things, so it'll probably take a few posts. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Tesla should be paying me as a consultant on their UI's before they release the updates. I'll tell them what they are doing wrong.

I downloaded V11 this morning (Merry Christmas!) and took one short drive and I already see numerous problems.

The TL;DR version - everything is either ok or needs to be put back how it was. I didn't see one single thing that I thought was an improvement.

One thing we've never had that we need is the ability to set the default headlight setting to OFF. For 3-1/2 years I've been getting in my 3, entering PIN to drive, opening Controls, and turning the lights off manually. I'm a big boy, I can decide for myself when the headlights need to be on.

The mileage / power and trip meters were removed from the bottom left and put in the Controls screen. Why? And then they removed the tenths digit from the trip meters! Now how am I supposed to know when I've driven a mile AND A HALF? Nice double fail, Tesla! Can't even swipe sideways in the bottom left of the screen to bring them up like they've been since I bought my car in May 2018!

Heater controls are different. Not really good or bad, but they didn't need improved.

That "customize" X at the center of the bottom edge -- there is NOT ONE THING in the available icons that I ever use. So it is useless to me. I play no games in the car, or caraoke, or web surf while driving. And I'm alone in my car 99.9% of the time, so no need to entertain passengers. Put the battery icon there, not just the energy graph which I almost never use. Put the trip mileage meters there.

The battery / charge icon opens into the Controls screen to show the battery now, instead of the old dedicated battery screen. That was a change we didn't need.

Turning the streaming channels off, like AP news or Comedy stations or whatever - I used to just tap the Phone icon next to the Streaming icon. Can't do that anymore.

I'll think of more the next time I drive somewhere later today. So far I see V11 as one big bad idea.

We should have the option to select which version of the UI we want. I jumped from 10.2 to 11.fail . There's more than enough memory in computers these days to store the different versions.

I got 2021.44.25.2 on my M3LR, just before Xmas and as everybody, I was really excited about yet a bit disappointed after one week. I’m generally positive about updates/changes but there are few things that annoys me big time so, I share them here:

• On the main screen that section on the top, profile name, connectivity indication and sentry mode recording is gone. Now you need to dig for the profile settings/selection and for triggering recording (I know it works on honk but maybe you do not want to use that to annoy even more someone you want to catch on the camera for some bad driving behavior). The space is still there on the top but these aspects were removed, I hope they will put them back;
  • The compass on the map is now on the left side (close to driving screen) and that is quite inconvenient for me. When it was on the right-top side, you could “grab” the display and touch the compass without problems of shaking finger;
  • I was excited about getting the side camera view and now I have mixed feelings about it. Previously, when I have someone in the blind spot and turn the signal light, the animation of that car was turning red and was immediately a trigger to the brain that something is not right. With the large image covering the screen that’s no longer a trigger (the red car is still there but not so visible). At least this functionality can be de-activated. I will keep it ON for a while but I hope Tesla can find another place to display the blind spot cameras;
  • Because of the above, I now discovered that the camera on the right repeater has a “red blur” in the evenings/night synchronized with the actual turn light (nothing to do with the update). The camera on the left was replaced after few months as it stopped working so I suspect the replacement is an improved version. I have a service appointment for mobile team to come have a look at it at the end of the month (the photo below will describe what I mean). Other people experience the same “blur” effect?
  • “Charging screen” – not so great but they now show the exact power that goes in the battery (previously was showing what goes in the car);
  • All “pages/windows” no longer have an “X” to close them only “Swipe down to dismiss”. Somehow it does not feel natural;
  • Consumption/Trips screen – I miss them where they used to be but maybe this way we can create more trips for future. I will still like to see at least “Current trip” a bit more convenient;
  • They removed the seat heating controls from the bottom menu and you can’t add it there. Maybe not needed in the future as they add the Auto mode which is a bit confusing when it’s on/off and to what level. Will take a while to get used to that;
  • The defog/defrost is now one level deeper menu – annoying;
  • They show now AC controls for passenger even if not in split mode – I’m always in AUTO and I’m of the opinion that driver is the “captain of the ship”. I believe is waste of space on that limited menu line anyway;
  • It took for me quite some time to figure how to show/play sentry clips inside the car but after that, seems easier now and they add the function to delete all - I would like to be able to select which ones though 😊;
  • Media section, quite OK with grouping of the various sources yet, I still did not find out how to show the favorites songs;
  • I see they try to add some color to the menu but somehow it does not seem to “belong there”. The previous gray/monochrome theme was clean and did a brilliant job;
  • Today I got the “bug fix” 2021.44.30 yet, no improvement noticed. The trunk lid is still not opening during the light show. I usually update via a mobile hotspot from my phone and I play Sky Force Reloaded while waiting. Today the game was extremely laggy during the download, so bad that it was almost unplayable. I will try it later and revert if experience the same.

Maybe we all need a bit more time to get used to the new UI but I hope Tesla will review few aspects in the following revisions.

Attachments

• IMG_6455.JPG
    IMG_6455.JPG
    329.6 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
They're not buried. Just tap the button on the end of the stalk and it literally comes up on the screen for you. Same with the lights.
Did the lights quick menu when you press the stalk... Is that new, or did it always do that? Just curious, becuase one of my peeves from before, is that the auto lights didn't work in all cases, such as heavy rain near dusk, etc... Tapping the stalk then tapping the display is much easier than trying to hurriedly hit controls and trying to read the text on the screen to find the lights.... I always knew about the wipers quick toggle with the button press, but not the lights one.

• Tire Pressure: Cold weather causes tires to reduce in pressure fast. You can't view the cold tire pressure when parked. You can only view it while driving. However, this is now in a menu that requires several button presses and is hard to see while driving.
  • Recording Video: There is still an option to save video recordings but it's now buried in a menu with no shortcut key. Again, dangerous while driving.
  • Viewing navigation directions on left side: When you have a menu like the music or energy open, it puts the navigation directions on the left side of the panel. They used to be at the top of the screen, but now are at the bottom. Problem is the steering wheel blocks the bottom left corner of the screen if I'm sitting where I should be while driving. That means directions are blocked too.
  • Changing map orientation/Viewing compass: I used to be able to press a button to change from North up/forward up/whole route on the map. Now you have to double-tap to see the option. I was trying to figure out if I was heading south (since the icon label changes), and couldn't figure out how to get that option back. Very annoying when driving in a snow storm and unsure if you are headed the right way.
  • Temp controls: I still can't figure out how to change the temperature. There's a new gesture and press and hold options, but I don't want to do either while driving. The old ones were much easier.
I was going to mention the changing map orientation, it got me frustrated because it gets hidden once the directions begin. Tire pressure and trip stuff as well. I think they have to rethink where to display this information as covering the entire map is not the best place for it.

“Changing map orientation/Viewing compass” - they fix it with 2021.44.30 (no need to tap on the map to display the compass). However, compass button is still on the left side which is not so convenient. I prefer it on the right side as the hand will “rest” on the display itself and you will not have “shaking” hand when pressing that button.