Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's almost like the UX engineers in sunny california don't understand that just because THEY use it infrequently, doesn't mean everyone else uses it infrequently too... I don't understand why you can pin things like toybox, but not defrosters....
Exactly. I doubt the UX team had focus groups outside of CA because if they did, this is something that would come up right away in many other parts of the country. Judging by the strong responses here in tons of threads, and on reddit, any amount of focus group research would've avoided this update from happening the way it did.

Exactly. I doubt the UX team had focus groups outside of CA because if they did, this is something that would come up right away in many other parts of the country. Judging by the strong responses here in tons of threads, and on reddit, any amount of focus group research would've avoided this update from happening the way it did.
There's no way they could have consulted with anyone in the Pacific Northwest about this. Defrosters are used at least 6 months out of the year. I guess it's not in their world view that rain and cool temperatures cause windows to fog up. It's not just freezing temperatures.

There's no way they could have consulted with anyone in the Pacific Northwest about this. Defrosters are used at least 6 months out of the year. I guess it's not in their world view that rain and cool temperatures cause windows to fog up. It's not just freezing temperatures.
Even in sunny FL this time of the year when it's very dry during the day, early mornings and late nights can have heavy fog and very cool temps. I was driving home at 10pm just a few days ago when it was low 50s and my windshield seriously fogged up. It's the first time since the update that I needed front defogger. I fumbled through the climate controls for about 20 sec before getting it turned on all while driving (at <40 mph albeit). Clicking the temp once only turns it on and you have to tap it again, or tap the tiny arrow to bring up the full climate panel. And I didn't need climate to be on in the first place, just the defogger. It's a serious brain fart on the UX team to not do research on so many things.

If they had any usage testing in our neck of the woods, the auto headlights and auto wipers would probably work a hell of a lot better, haha.

Their factory is in San Francisco Bay Area and I can assure you we do use quite a bit of defrosters and seat heaters :)

There's really nothing good about the V11 UI. All essential controls need 2 or even 3 interactions. It is taking your attention of the road for minutes before getting your settings as you want them. You actually need FSD to operate this in a safe manner. Oh yes, I have FSD, paid 6000 EUR for this feature. Anyone know how to activate this? Model S 100D 2019. Previously Model S 75 2017. PS Get rid of all the gaming stuff. I really looked out for the Christmas update some years ago when they launched a new Easter Egg. Now I'm hoping they will release an update with decent rain sensors, or with proper navigation, or without ghost breaking etc. Enough to improve. Beta stuff, duhh. Was a believer once, now not sure my next car will be a Tesla again.

Now I'm hoping they will release an update with decent rain sensors, or with proper navigation, or without ghost breaking etc. Enough to improve. Beta stuff, duhh. Was a believer once, now not sure my next car will be a Tesla again.
LOL, c'mon :D. You don't really mean that, haha. Maybe I'm still in my honeymoon with Tesla, but I'm still very much a believer. To me, this is trials and tribulation that any young company goes through, let alone one that's pioneering a new frontier. Maybe in a few years I'll feel the same way if Tesla keeps going down this rabbit hole, but I'm not there yet. My MY LR is still everything I expected an EV to be, and there is no other car on the market that you can convince me to drive, EV or otherwise. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: ContrarianDC
You can touch the icon for the app on the task.bar on the bottom and it will make the app go away. So no need to swipe.
I know. Usability 101 though, it’s much easier to hit a giant target (the entire panel) and swipe it down than to try and hit a tiny icon at the bottom. Had it happen in my own driveway driving at 1 mph – instead of closing the camera, it opened the app drawer.

This stuff is so basic. It’s like the adults at tesla design all quit or went on vacation.

LOL, c'mon :D. You don't really mean that, haha. Maybe I'm still in my honeymoon with Tesla, but I'm still very much a believer. To me, this is trials and tribulation that any young company goes through, let alone one that's pioneering a new frontier. Maybe in a few years I'll feel the same way if Tesla keeps going down this rabbit hole, but I'm not there yet. My MY LR is still everything I expected an EV to be, and there is no other car on the market that you can convince me to drive, EV or otherwise. ;)
Same boat for me. Loved the car for the first year and a half but no way would I buy another Tesla now. Hope they turn around because I enjoyed being a fan and it was the best car experience I ever had (at that time). But I can't support a company making the bone-headed and anti-owner decisions Tesla makes.

Not sure that I follow your comment about an extra touch for the rear defroster. I thought that it was the front that needed one touch for defogging and a second touch for defrosting. I think that the rear is only one touch (after one is in the climate controls). I'll check that out tomorrow.
It’s simple. I want to turn on the rear defogger without any HVAC. In the previous version this was a simple tap of the rear defogger button. Now it’s two taps because bringing up the climate panel turns on HVAC, so you have to turn it off. And of course you have to do it last because otherwise the panel disappears. So not just an extra tap, but it has to be in a specific order.
I do kind of miss the trip info card staying up continuously but in reality it may have been a distraction for me.
Classic apologism. If this is distracting for you then maybe it’s time to turn in your license. Or maybe you just can’t admit that there’s validity to these complaints.

Reactions: freeAgent
It’s simple. I want to turn on the rear defogger without any HVAC. In the previous version this was a simple tap of the rear defogger button. Now it’s two taps because bringing up the climate panel turns on HVAC, so you have to turn it off. And of course you have to do it last because otherwise the panel disappears. So not just an extra tap, but it has to be in a specific order.

Classic apologism. If this is distracting for you then maybe it’s time to turn in your license. Or maybe you just can’t admit that there’s validity to these complaints.
Most of those extra taps are a non-issue for me; I rarely have the HVAC system turned off (only when I'm parked and don't want to hear it running).

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Please stop giving excuses like that. Tesla hasn’t been a startup for a very long time (in fact, it is the biggest car manufacturer in the world). Also, stumbling around in something that has been an established field for a long time (ergonomics exists for 70+ years; touchscreen interfaces for 15 years) does not spell innovation. It is plain ignorance. I am sure they could afford experts from automotive or aerospace industry that will design a fabulous, driver-oriented UI. I hope they do that after this debacle but there is a hubris that is quite prevalent in the software industry lately. “Designing a new interface - how hard could it be?!” Or “Forget the old thinking - we will innovate!”

As you are now, so once was I.
As I am now, you soon shall be.

I wish you a long and happy honeymoon.

The map is unusable at night in dark mode. The side streets are almost invisible, how the hell this passed software QA?

FFS does Tesla even have a SQA group?

NONE of the shortcuts are useful when driving, in fact a lot of them you can't even use in Drive anyways.

Updating to 2021.44.30 didn't fix one single damn thing.

This new firmware is TERRIBLE!
Since Teslas don't have much of the hard button/knobs as which is very distracting looking at the screen, reading and tapping they have even taken away soft shortcuts on the screen which is even more distracting.
I understand they try to make futuristic cars with the least possible buttons and knobs but I at least some basic ones should be included on and around the wheel the driver can teack without reading it.
It is what it is with the existing hardware equipment but at least they should not have eliminated the old user interface. We used to have sliding thing with the efficiency w/km, range, tire pressure, etc in the lower left left corner night and it's gone now. Now you need to tap a few times in order to get those stats and current consumption reading it from the small tiny table with lots of information. Not only that we used to have at least 10 icons on the lower edge of the screen which are now gone and reduced with I think maximum four or five shortcuts and not only that their waist smaller which is not safe at all.
I still like my Model Y but Elon/people at Tesla try to see what others are doing and try to copy or try to make it even better than your competitors. Tesla was the first in making electrical cars now but the competition is growing and some features and ideas from competitors should be implemented in new Tesla software/hardware.
I used to work for Blackberry in Canada and that's exactly how they started, they were the leaders in best software security and the est hardware production with durable devices but they didn't really pay much attention to competitors and the lost war on the market.
I hope this won't happen with Tesla.
Tesla, please listen to feedbacks.
Thank you
dj.

Last edited:
The death of Blackberry, it's one for the ages and will be a case study in business schools everywhere.

Another minor complaint that I share with some of the other people here is the colors of the icons. Aesthetics aside, the use of these bright colors is a bit confusing against Tesla's other design principle - pastel colors for inactive features and brighter colors when turned on. For example, when I first saw the button in the new UI my first instinct was to turn it off by tapping it. Two days later when my wife saw it for the first time, she did exactly the same thing! As soon as she saw the screen she asked "why is the phone on?" LOL. The color just jumps off the screen screaming call-in-progress. I don't know about you, but the phone is the least used feature in my Tesla, at least in terms of making calls. Why make a bright green button for it? Making it a pale color, or just gray would not diminish its usage, and only light it up when you're actually on a call.

So funny i saw this thread. Zero degrees here in Chicago and I felt like the climate system is messed up. The heater seemed to be blowing colder and my windows starting fogging as well. I have owned the car for 2 years now and never had the windows fog up. V11 is rough!

Reactions: Sporty and MrSpock
I also noticed that after the update, my car seemingly will randomly turn the brights when first leaving at night. Before the update, it only went into Auto-Highbeam when you pushed on the stalk... Now it seems like 25% of the time when the auto headlights turn on, it turns it on in Auto-High by itself. I say this, becuase ever since this update, I have to double check the lights when I leave at night to make sure the Auto-High is not greyed out... But it seams sometimes the AutoHigh enables by itself and turns on the brights by itself. I know last night when I picked up my kids, I double checked the lights when I was leaving the parking lot, and saw my lows were on with my fogs, and I didn't see the AutoHigh emblem at all... But when I pulled out into traffic, the brights turned on, and I saw the A emblem that wasn't there before... It's been driving me nuts the past several days.