Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is why you should turn off recirc and put on aircon for a few mins...stops the issue coming back as you stop breathing and exhaling the same moist air over and over hence not needing to keep defog on all the time...you can look this up you know...
lol do you genuinely think that people have no idea how to defog their windows?

That is why you should turn off recirc and put on aircon for a few mins...stops the issue coming back as you stop breathing and exhaling the same moist air over and over hence not needing to keep defog on all the time...you can look this up you know...
“For a few minutes” - exactly. So, it is a constant on/off thing (the tricky balance I was referring to) that was made worse by the V11 UI.

Reactions: Sporty
So reading your list of who likes what...can't your kids or wife just swipe up on the screen to see AND change what they want? As for temps on screen I am more than happy to get rid of them and just see ALL climate info with a swipe up. It all goes back to the conditional. If I am cold then I want to increase the heat. If I am too warm then I want to decrease it. If I feel fine then what do I care if I can see the temperature or not? I only want to see and change things if I feel I need to.
You're missing the point... why do they have to touch the screen at all?

If they can see the status, they don't have to do anything if it's what they want... now... they either have to wait to see if the seat is warm or not warm... or swipe the screen (which also turns on the HVAC which we have to turn off again).

It's not convenient.

Tape over your temp and tell me how happy you are... the point of good UI/UX is to reduce swiping/touching etc... especially if you are the driver.

I’m sure this has been asked, but is it possible to get version 9 again! Since then, the usability has deteriorated with each update, so that the stupid graphic of the car could be prioritised. It’s really not good to make the car harder to drive. Makes me wish I hadn’t done any updates for the past 2 years.

Is there some way of doing a restart and then choosing which version of the UI you want"

Reactions: bay74
I can only echo some of the previous comments. What have Tesla gone and done - perhaps I just need to spend several hours familiarising myself with it, but on first glance they've added some more games and messed almost everything else up. The coloured icons are awful and distracting, I am still trying to figure how to play media from my phone, the radio options are a nightmare to use and the 'helpful blindspot indicator' I turned off after using for 30 minutes as its position on the screen is partially hidden by my left hand when driving so as to be practically useless. Please do something useful like add Apple Car Play or be able to adjust the sensitivity on your wipers - which dont seem to work in Northern England mizzle. And please, can I have some one touch driving controls back on the screen please.

I'm finding every interaction with the screen to be frustrating, which just makes for a very compromised experience overall. Given the current and upcoming alternatives where Tesla is no longer the only EV option in town, I'll be seriously considering a replacement this year, which is a shame (I know, I know, "don't let the door hit you on the way out," and all that). This update feels like it came from a company that is increasingly out of touch with its customers.

My experience as well. I've gone from loving my vehicle to being annoyed with it each time I hop in. With v11 all of my wife's Spotify favorites are filling up the music screen - even when she's not driving or in the car. Adds to the annoyance factor, extra swipes and screen searching time with music sources segregated.

Reactions: AustinPowers
My experience as well. I've gone from loving my vehicle to being annoyed with it each time I hop in. With v11 all of my wife's Spotify favorites are filling up the music screen - even when she's not driving or in the car. Adds to the annoyance factor, extra swipes and screen searching time with music sources segregated.
Same here. It's such a pity that Tesla doesn't seem to ask people beforehand what they think about possible changes to the UI.

I mean it should have been pretty obvious that easy access to something safety-related like defogger/defroster/seat heaters is more relevant than customizable buttons for music or games. The most annoying thing is that there is so much empty and unused space on the home screen now. The bottom row has so much unused space that there would be plenty for seat heater/defogger/defroster controls.

Plus the complete left third of the screen only shows the car driving along the road (a type of info I never needed at all, but as long as there was other sensible info there as well I didn't mind). Now the lower left part of the screen, where the trip info used to be, is totally empty. Why bury the trip info (including the current trip energy usage among other vital info) in the vehicle settings menu, where I have to overlay it over the nav screen in order to see it at all?

I have now made a service appointment via the app, requesting a rollback to software version 10.x, giving the safety issues version 11.x causes as a reason. I also made it very clear how I unhappy I am with this update and consequently my car in general since.

I have loved my car and driving it since day one almost three years ago. The only thing that has been a constant annoyance since day one is the auto-sensing wipers, which have never worked properly, no matter how often Tesla promised to fix them via software updates. They still never react the way the amount of rain present would require.
Since I got the V11 update I hate driving my car (especially now in winter where I constantly need stuff like the seat heaters, defogger, defroster), and I am really mad at Tesla for the first time ever.

Yes I cannot even open the garage door without stopping the vehicle, because pressing the homelink button disables the backup cameras by overlaying a controls window over the screen. How do I go back to the pervious version?
You are so right! The HomeLink changes are a disaster, and make it impossible to cancel an open/close signal when necessary. I reported this to TSLA Customer Service last week, and they were unaware of the problem.

You're missing the point... why do they have to touch the screen at all?

If they can see the status, they don't have to do anything if it's what they want... now... they either have to wait to see if the seat is warm or not warm... or swipe the screen (which also turns on the HVAC which we have to turn off again).

It's not convenient.

Tape over your temp and tell me how happy you are... the point of good UI/UX is to reduce swiping/touching etc... especially if you are the driver.
Im totally happy with v11. I only need to see if seat heaters are on/off if I feel cold and then I will have to touch the screen anyway. I can also feel it easily enough!

You are so right! The HomeLink changes are a disaster, and make it impossible to cancel an open/close signal when necessary. I reported this to TSLA Customer Service last week, and they were unaware of the problem.
All you do is press the large homelink button at the bottom of the screen...no need to press the old icon that does indeed cover the screen...

Reactions: Big Earl
I didn't like "no buttons" in the first place but I said to myself "OK I am gonna get used to it and hopefully software will be user friendly". The longer we own that car the more we search online and get impressed with other manufacturers, fortunately they are growing so fast with lots of new features that Tesla doesn't even talk about yet.
Tesla must improve A LOT in order to keep the existing clientele.

The death of Blackberry, it's one for the ages and will be a case study in business schools everywhere.

Another minor complaint that I share with some of the other people here is the colors of the icons. Aesthetics aside, the use of these bright colors is a bit confusing against Tesla's other design principle - pastel colors for inactive features and brighter colors when turned on. For example, when I first saw the button in the new UI my first instinct was to turn it off by tapping it. Two days later when my wife saw it for the first time, she did exactly the same thing! As soon as she saw the screen she asked "why is the phone on?" LOL. The color just jumps off the screen screaming call-in-progress. I don't know about you, but the phone is the least used feature in my Tesla, at least in terms of making calls. Why make a bright green button for it? Making it a pale color, or just gray would not diminish its usage, and only light it up when you're actually on a call.
BlackBerry was leading in research and innovations but not in what was really needed by customers (they didn't listen). I remember at the meeting, when other manufacturers were implementing cameras, we were told "we build business devices and we won't put cameras in them, cameras are only for kids", that was one of the HUGE mistakes. When they realized it and stared putting cameras in their devices they were not leaders anymore.
Based on that experience looks like Tesla is perfectly following BlackBerry politics.

Im totally happy with v11. I only need to see if seat heaters are on/off if I feel cold and then I will have to touch the screen anyway. I can also feel it easily enough!
Elon... please think about updating v11. We all know you like it... but it really has quite a few impractical changes.

I was staring at the seatbelt layout again... why is it set horizontally... just doesn't make sense..

Also, please focus on the production of the CyberTruck instead of trying to fix what wasn't broken. :)

• Funny
Reactions: mangrove79 and Boza
BlackBerry was leading in research and innovations but not in what was really needed by customers (they didn't listen). I remember at the meeting, when other manufacturers were implementing cameras, we were told "we build business devices and we won't put cameras in them, cameras are only for kids", that was one of the HUGE mistakes. When they realized it and stared putting cameras in their devices they were not leaders anymore.
Based on that experience looks like Tesla is perfectly following BlackBerry politics.
Very interesting. I work in science, and I use my phone camera contently for work as a component of documentation. I imagine many/most professionals do as well. Amazing that something like that was not imagined. Honestly the BlackBerry comparison to Tesla is getting more and more convincing (and scary). I hope they can snap out of this funk and recognize V11 for the wake-up call it should be (spoiler alert, they probably will not).

I hope they can snap out of this funk and recognize V11 for the wake-up call it should be (spoiler alert, they probably will not).
Funk? They are bleeding edge and innovating every day. Wake up call? because of a few disgruntled people that don't like v11? I doubt Tesla take a few upset people on forums that seriously. We are not the masses. If everyone felt so upset by v11 then there would be thousands upon thousands of negative threads all over. There aren't. Why do people always assume that their problem is everyones problem??