Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost all input is error. Car should do the right thing automatically.

That has to be one of the most arrogant, myopic, and closed-minded comments he ever made.

I'm ashamed to be even remotely associated with Tesla with that attitude at this point.

The keyword is "should". But it doesn't. So obey the input as directed. Stop trying to be smarter than everyone else.

Clearly we can see where this farked up UI direction comes from. As I said before, it's just "F^@# the user".

That has to be one of the most arrogant, myopic, and closed-minded comments he ever made.

I'm ashamed to be even remotely associated with Tesla with that attitude at this point.

The keyword is "should". But it doesn't. So obey the input as directed. Stop trying to be smarter than everyone else.

Clearly we can see where this farked up UI direction comes from. As I said before, it's just "F^@# the user".
Tesla is an AI company and we are the trainers. Tesla will implement more AI into the cars. Not less. Customers will vote with their wallet. We’ll see how it plays out over the next few years. I understand this and I’m along for the ride.

• Funny
Reactions: jaqueh

This guy does a really good job of compiling many of the issues / fixes needed with V11. Frankly, I wonder if he’s on this forum and on this thread.
For some extra fun, try to watch this while pretending to be someone unfamiliar with Tesla. You’ll likely come away with a reaction of “what in the bloody hell were these morons smoking?!” or similar.

Tesla is an AI company and we are the trainers. Tesla will implement more AI into the cars. Not less. Customers will vote with their wallet. We’ll see how it plays out over the next few years. I understand this and I’m along for the ride.
It'll be interesting to watch the development. However, if Tesla is so good at AI, why is my Model 3 auto wiper still so bad compared to others out there? Heck, my 2004 BMW 330i auto wiper worked better than my Model 3, let alone comparison to today's auto wiper implementation.

It'll be interesting to watch the development. However, if Tesla is so good at AI, why is my Model 3 auto wiper still so bad compared to others out there? Heck, my 2004 BMW 330i auto wiper worked better than my Model 3, let alone comparison to today's auto wiper implementation.
I didn’t say they were good at it. But that is their focus and priority. We’ll see how the development goes. It’s gonna take years to get “good”

To be fair, I think Tesla's design is hampered by their use of existing forward-looking cameras to detect rain on the windshield. Other cars use dedicated infrared sensors that are much more effective for this purpose. Auto climate control is another story altogether, and simply reeks of inadequate understanding of user needs in cold climates.

Very well said.

After 3-1/2 years of owning a Model 3 all I can say is I'm done with Tesla. The first 2-1/2 years were fun as hell. Every update made the car experience noticeably better. From that point on, each update just made the car a little worse and less safe to drive until we hit rock bottom with v11. Seriously I'm not even sure that my Model 3 is street legal now.

I'm just really fed up of being a guinea pig in Elon's better-than-human car fantasy.

This guy does a really good job of compiling many of the issues / fixes needed with V11. Frankly, I wonder if he’s on this forum and on this thread.
For some extra fun, try to watch this while pretending to be someone unfamiliar with Tesla. You’ll likely come away with a reaction of “what in the bloody hell were these morons smoking?!” or similar.
Thx for posting. Didn't know the channel, great comment. Pitty it is for model 3 UI only, but lot of the remarks are valid still. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Jclboston
I never have recirculate on in the winter time, and I always have the A/C on. You live in Texas, so you probably don't have the same issues as those that live in colder, rainier climates. When you have wet jackets, wet hair, wet shoes, etc, you need the defrosters PERIOD.
Best thing to do is to crack the window for a bit...works wonders...I used to live in London so know ALL about wet cold weather!

Last edited:
Thanks for that, good to know there is an alternative. Since I posted, I've read that the seat heater is now linked to occupancy detection so that problem should be resolved. As for auto seat heaters, apparently that feature only works with climate control in auto. Since Tesla has done such an awful job of configuring the system for auto operation in really cold climates, mine is in manual 95% of the time anyway so I'll still need to control seat heaters manually. As others have posted, this isn't a set-it-and-forget-it procedure. They're normally set to high to get the seat warm all over, then backed off gradually to low as things get comfortable. Having to open the climate page for each occupant to change their settings is going to be an annoying PITA. I'm willing to wait and see if Tesla will offer something more practical. A couple of months ago, I started noticing that voice commands for phone and text would come back with a name that wasn't a match for any contact, but the call or text would go through anyway. My experience yesterday was unusual - I always say "text xxx" and it works. What I don't understand is why the screen would display "text Julia" which is a perfectly good command that I've used many times, and then change it to something completely irrelevant.
If you have occupants I assume that you have at least one person in the passenger seat (unless you are an Uber driver?). The passenger can control all the seat heating easily enough if you think it a PITA while you are driving.

I too hate V11. Most things have been covered but I didn't see this: with the black background on the lower menu bar all as I can see during the day is the reflection of my bright white seats.

To pile on: we switch drivers a lot and that's frustrating every time now.

In the old UI I found it frustrating that the button to warm you with a seat heater effectively overlapped with the button to cool you down at arm's length in a moving car - but I still take that over v11.

The all input is error comment irked me to when the automatic systems are so poor.

One good thing: at least the D for drive is not not 'high beam blue' right next to the headlight symbol.

Best thing to do is to crack the window for a bit...works wonders...I used to live in London so know ALL about wet cold weather!
Cracking the window in a middle of a snow storm works wonders!
So, because they made a bone-headed design choice I have to experiment with different ways to compensate for it, if at all possible. The very definition of “fcku the customer”.

Almost all input is error. Car should do the right thing automatically.

While I understand what Elon/TexasTezla is trying to say here... quite a few of the complaints isn't just input, it's output... like status of what's going on with the car. That needs to be available... not just waiting to see if my seat is warm, etc etc.

Feedback is almost always good.

Reactions: Boza and avs007
Thx for posting. Didn't know the channel, great comment. Pitty it is for model 3 UI only, but lot of the remarks are valid still. Hope this helps.

Yes, right, the comments in the video are only applicable for model 3. I don't have a perspective on the other unique issues that model S/X users are experiencing with V11.. but at least you get gauge cluster..

While I understand what Elon/TexasTezla is trying to say here... quite a few of the complaints isn't just input, it's output... like status of what's going on with the car. That needs to be available... not just waiting to see if my seat is warm, etc etc.

Feedback is almost always good.

Elon Musk: "You're now just a f*@#ing passenger. Sit down and shut up. You don't need to know what's going on with the car. It knows."

I lived in multiple climates as well and “know” about them. But there’s a difference between knowing and living it. Eg here, in Seattle, the car is great until you get that drizzly day. I can hypothesis that the wipers are going to be annoying. But living with it brings it home. They are (on certain days here) the worst wiper system of any car I’ve owned. And it’s something that Tesla could make better, but they don’t.

Cracking the window in a middle of a snow storm works wonders!
So, because they made a bone-headed design choice I have to experiment with different ways to compensate for it, if at all possible. The very definition of “fcku the customer”.
Crack the window not open if fully! LOL. The system works....the original complaint was that you need to SEE the defog button the entire time to make sure it was on.

Last edited: