Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TexasTezla, people are sharing their comments on V11 update, they have all right to do so. You are not playing the ball. If you can't keep your feedback polite and factual you have no business in this forum.
I was asking someone who disagreed (down voted) what was it about my FACTUAL statement that they disagreed with. How was my post impolite? I used no foul language, didn't type in all caps etc. I am sharing my comments on v11 and I have the right to do so. I have never said others have no right! I think you need to go and reread what I said

I find it ironic that TexasTezla advocates for “one size fits all” where I, from California, think that we should have more options :)
Another clear indication you are blinded by your hatred for v11. I advocate that I prefer v11 over v10. That is what irks you. You cant grasp some people prefer v11 over v10. I am ALL for having more options but I am not going to stand around while some post nonsense suggesting the vehicle is now dangerous.

If we get more options to customize I will be very happy. I have NEVER said v11 is the panacea of UI. I have only said I prefer it over v10! I also correct the posters who post FUD because they dislike v11 (i.e. it now requires ten times as many button presses etc!)

• Funny
Reactions: ContrarianDC
Another clear indication you are blinded by your hatred for v11. I advocate that I prefer v11 over v10. That is what irks you. You cant grasp some people prefer v11 over v10. I am ALL for having more options but I am not going to stand around while some post nonsense suggesting the vehicle is now dangerous.

If we get more options to customize I will be very happy. I have NEVER said v11 is the panacea of UI. I have only said I prefer it over v10! I also correct the posters who post FUD because they dislike v11 (i.e. it now requires ten times as many button presses etc!)
Very factual, polite and not using caps, yeah

I prefer interfaces that improve a

I prefer interfaces that improve and as far as I am concerned, v11 is a great improvement. I love the cleaner looking interface and less cluttered map as well as getting rid of those annoying icons across the top.
I prefer interfaces that improve as well, but V11 would not fall into that category. Many things are worse, including making some functions that are often used while driving objectively less convenient to use. At the same time, V11 makes it possible for the user to customize a bar with functions that can't be used while driving at all (e.g., toybox, video). It's nonsensical that it's possible to configure such that it is easier to access games vs. defrosters and seat heating.

Cleaner looking interface? I guess so, but if given the choice of only one, I'd prefer function over form. The map would also appear less cluttered if the visualization didn't needlessly take up so much space (pre-V10) or was adjustable, while retaining the icons that were there before (though the "T" logo would be pretty redundant now).

V11 seems like something that was made to appear attractive to passengers sitting in the backseat, but a noticeably worse user experience to the driver.

Did you not see the word all in all caps? As for factual...it most certainly is...I prefer v11 over v10...polite...again a definite yes if you take it in context as to the post to which it is replying. You need to improve your comprehension...and you can take that anyway you like!

I've just seen you are from Belgium so perhaps English is not your first language...anyway, you are now ignored!
@TexasTezla I’ve down voted some of your posts because they are phrased as put-downs and not always polite. That’s it. I’m not disagreeing that you find v11 then v10. That’s your view point and it’s great to share it. But I don’t think it’s appropriate to tell other TMC members they are ‘wrong’ or worse.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I prefer interfaces that improve as well, but V11 would not fall into that category. Many things are worse, including making some functions that are often used while driving objectively less convenient to use. At the same time, V11 makes it possible for the user to customize a bar with functions that can't be used while driving at all (e.g., toybox, video). It's nonsensical that it's possible to configure such that it is easier to access games vs. defrosters and seat heating.

Cleaner looking interface? I guess so, but if given the choice of only one, I'd prefer function over form. The map would also appear less cluttered if the visualization didn't needlessly take up so much space (pre-V10) or was adjustable, while retaining the icons that were there before (though the "T" logo would be pretty redundant now).

V11 seems like something that was made to appear attractive to passengers sitting in the backseat, but a noticeably worse user experience to the driver.
Personally I prefer v11 over v10. I have camera, energy, radio and phone as my fixed functions...I can use them all while driving.

@TexasTezla I’ve down voted some of your posts because they are phrased as put-downs and not always polite. That’s it. I’m not disagreeing that you find v11 then v10. That’s your view point and it’s great to share it. But I don’t think it’s appropriate to tell other TMC members they are ‘wrong’ or worse.
To say someone is wrong is not a put down! You even sent me a PM saying if you misunderstood then you apologize! Yes, you misunderstood. What I said was factually correct. Users had a hand in determining some of the changes to v11. I'm not going over this again.

1. You need to look up the word 'flexibility'. Some of the changes were a direct result of user requests. If it CAN change it IS flexible.
Flexible (adj.) able to be easily modified to respond to altered circumstances orconditions

The interface was changed by Tesla programmers. Perhaps in response to user input, perhaps based on some idea a programmer came up with in a drunken stupor. Regardless, it is not easily modified and not modifiable by users. (I.e. it is not flexible, although it certainly is more flexible than most car interfaces)
2. Tesla vehicles DO work in all places people drive in all circumstances. If you want the ADDED benefit of voice control then you require a cell signal.
A user complained that the interface was cumbersome to use, to which someone responded with the obligatory "just use voice commands" comment. When it was pointed out that voice commands don't always work you said "luckily most places people drive have cell coverage." If you follow the thread, your response was trying to justify voice commands as a replacement for the interface, not an 'added benefit.'
3. For me, with the added control button and larger buttons, it is now easier to do all of what I had to hunt and peck to do in v10.
What added control button and what larger buttons? All the buttons are actually smaller and most are hidden. There is more hunting and pecking for the climate control system. There is more hunting and pecking for the odometers. In my use there is more hunting and pecking for the audio system.
4. Where did I say having screen redesigns is automatically good? All I have ever said is for me v11 is better than v10.
You use 'screen designs' in the generic sense and say they are improvements. I merely pointed out that changing the design can be good or bad.
5. You keep saying 'most of us'...without any evidence to support this. If you mean the vote on liking or disliking v11 then that is hardly 'most of us'! At best you can say that the people who expressed a dislike for v11 want to use their cars and not learn them.

I too disliked the v11 update. But far worse, the new update a few days ago on 1/14/2022 to my 2015 model S really ruined my control screen.
1. The icon to display supercharging stations is gone and I cannot get them to display unless I actually type in a specific address. Why did they remove the icon to display charging locations?
2. Previously I used to be able to tough the map on the screen even in the middle of a street or highway and that would become a new destination. Now it does not work at all.
3. The recent update removed most of my favorite stations and replaced them with around 20 stations that are of absolutely no interest to me. I cannot find any way to remove these stations.
4. While we were driving yesterday I toughed one of my station buttons that I wanted. Instead of turning on the sound for that station, The screen went completely black and began rebooting.
5. I have always set my charging to begin at a scheduled time (11:15pm) and then adjust the amount of total charge wanted. I also used to be able to enter the charging current in a box, usually I set for 30A. Now every time I do those steps, an hour or 2 later the control panel completely changes my charging setting to Departure time in the middle of the night. It also reduces the charge current to 12A instead of 30A. I then change it back to want I really want. An hour or 2 later it again changes back to Departure time and reduces the current.
I have tried using the Android app but that does not help as the very same thing happens.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy

2. Previously I used to be able to tough the map on the screen even in the middle of a street or highway and that would become a new destination. Now it does not work at all.

I don’t know if this is the same for a random place on the map, but I was having problems trying to Nav to a park which the map had a pin for. After a bit I stumbled onto “press & hold”. If you long press, at least a pin, you get it as a navigation destination. Don’t know if this is new behavior or not…

Flexible (adj.) able to be easily modified to respond to altered circumstances orconditions

The interface was changed by Tesla programmers. Perhaps in response to user input, perhaps based on some idea a programmer came up with in a drunken stupor. Regardless, it is not easily modified and not modifiable by users. (I.e. it is not flexible, although it certainly is more flexible than most car interfaces)

A user complained that the interface was cumbersome to use, to which someone responded with the obligatory "just use voice commands" comment. When it was pointed out that voice commands don't always work you said "luckily most places people drive have cell coverage." If you follow the thread, your response was trying to justify voice commands as a replacement for the interface, not an 'added benefit.'

What added control button and what larger buttons? All the buttons are actually smaller and most are hidden. There is more hunting and pecking for the climate control system. There is more hunting and pecking for the odometers. In my use there is more hunting and pecking for the audio system.

You use 'screen designs' in the generic sense and say they are improvements. I merely pointed out that changing the design can be good or bad.

"although it is certainly more flexible than most car interfaces"...doesn't this make it flexible then? It does in my book. The flexibility I was talking about was that it CAN be changed. I didnt say it was flexible for the user to change...although now it is that too!

Re voice commands...they are a useful replacement for touching the screen in lots of cases. In extreme cases where there is no coverage then you are stuck with pressing buttons...if you look further that is what I said. In the vast majority of the issues posted, these can be resolved with VC. I am not justifying anything to anybody, merely letting people know there is an alternative IF they are having such a hard time.

Larger buttons...just press Control and look at the larger buttons...easy. The record button is about 50 times the size it was before when it was a tiny icon at the top of the screen!

Screen designs...I like them better...no more discussion here. You dont like, I do.

Re Poll...yes, my point exactly! Thanks for confirming. Now I know 'most of us' is the people who polled negatively. As always, people usually bother to react and make most noise about something they don't like over something they do. Human nature.

I too disliked the v11 update. But far worse, the new update a few days ago on 1/14/2022 to my 2015 model S really ruined my control screen.
1. The icon to display supercharging stations is gone and I cannot get them to display unless I actually type in a specific address. Why did they remove the icon to display charging locations?
3. The recent update removed most of my favorite stations and replaced them with around 20 stations that are of absolutely no interest to me. I cannot find any way to remove these stations.
4. While we were driving yesterday I toughed one of my station buttons that I wanted. Instead of turning on the sound for that station, The screen went completely black and began rebooting.
5. I have always set my charging to begin at a scheduled time (11:15pm) and then adjust the amount of total charge wanted. I also used to be able to enter the charging current in a box, usually I set for 30A. Now every time I do those steps, an hour or 2 later the control panel completely changes my charging setting to Departure time in the middle of the night. It also reduces the charge current to 12A instead of 30A. I then change it back to want I really want. An hour or 2 later it again changes back to Departure time and reduces the current.
I have tried using the Android app but that does not help as the very same thing happens.
Sounds as though your update didnt work very well...ask tesla to push you the download again...

You do not irk me. UI designers - that is a totally different thing. :)
Objectively, 2-3 clicks take more time than 1 click. Longer interaction with the UI takes the attention away from driving; thus increases the likelihood of accident. That is why SMS is not allowed.
That is the objective reality. Subjectively, some people may value the “clean” interface more and be OK with that trade off (or have other means of reducing the risk).
Could I have designed it differently? Very likely. I am not too thrilled about the icons, colors, etc. But that is subjective feeling. I am somewhat ambivalent about it; I do not “hate” it, for sure.
Objectively, it is more dangerous for a lot of people and they quoted specific facts supporting their claim. The fact that “it works” for does not remove the objective reality that the new interface is a step back, in terms of driver-oriented UI.

"although it is certainly more flexible than most car interfaces"...doesn't this make it flexible then? It does in my book. The flexibility I was talking about was that it CAN be changed. I didnt say it was flexible for the user to change...although now it is that too!
Let me try another analogy for you - "Derek Chauvin is less evil than Jeffry Dahmer..." does not mean he is good. It just means he's not as bad.

Re voice commands...they are a useful replacement for touching the screen in lots of cases. In extreme cases where there is no coverage then you are stuck with pressing buttons...if you look further that is what I said. In the vast majority of the issues posted, these can be resolved with VC. I am not justifying anything to anybody, merely letting people know there is an alternative IF they are having such a hard time.
Like I said, the context of the thread you replied to implied that they were the solution. Some people like them but they have many flaws (LTE reception among them,) and as I and multiple other people have explained, Voice commands are no substitute for a good UI.
Larger buttons...just press Control and look at the larger buttons...easy. The record button is about 50 times the size it was before when it was a tiny icon at the top of the screen!
Ah, those buttons. Yes, the control menu is better organized and the buttons larger. That is not a screen you should be using on a regular basis while driving however. All of the buttons one generally uses while driving appear to be smaller.
Screen designs...I like them better...no more discussion here. You dont like, I do.
Nope - personal preference. My gripe isn't with the design, though, it's with the usability.
Re Poll...yes, my point exactly! Thanks for confirming. Now I know 'most of us' is the people who polled negatively. As always, people usually bother to react and make most noise about something they don't like over something they do. Human nature.
Do you have evidence that 'most people' like the new interface?

I've seen overwhelmingly negative feedback here with a handful of people who steadfastly defend it, despite having no real answer to the criticisms. The same goes for other sites I've seen. More to the point, I have never seen this degree of anger and discontent over any other Tesla update. Period. I don't deny that some people like it, but the available evidence says that it's a failure.

As a fellow Montreal'er, even though my Model 3 is not here yet so I can't comment on the UI, I was in the same freezing rain in my ICE.
Same ice build up, same wiper issues same wet/dry/freeze/streaks. No setting worked either wiper or HVAC.
This has nothing to do with UI, it is just Mother nature, ice/snow and salt on wet roads doing what they do.
My point was not that the car would have managed the conditions any better or worse with a different UI, just that I had numerous requirements to change the climate settings and V11 would have made it more difficult. Many commenters don't seem to understand the reality of this driving environment. The designers and supporters of V11 believe that it's OK to hide many of the climate controls because "set it and forget it" is good enough. That may work in hot or mild climates, but a climate control system requires more driver interaction in the conditions we face in winter. No vehicle is ever going to manage this in an automatic mode, simply because there are not enough sensors to evaluate all the criteria. Only a human can do this, and Elon's goal of error-free automation will never be achieved. As I was driving today, I also realized that part of my objection to V11 is losing instant visual access to the system settings. I don't think that aspect has been emphasized enough in other comments on this issue. If Tesle is able to offer more flexibility in customizing the launch bar with climate control icons, I can see myself possibly using different layouts in winter and summer.

My point was not that the car would have managed the conditions any better or worse with a different UI, just that I had numerous requirements to change the climate settings and V11 would have made it more difficult. Many commenters don't seem to understand the reality of this driving environment. The designers and supporters of V11 believe that it's OK to hide many of the climate controls because "set it and forget it" is good enough. That may work in hot or mild climates, but a climate control system requires more driver interaction in the conditions we face in winter. No vehicle is ever going to manage this in an automatic mode, simply because there are not enough sensors to evaluate all the criteria. Only a human can do this, and Elon's goal of error-free automation will never be achieved. As I was driving today, I also realized that part of my objection to V11 is losing instant visual access to the system settings. I don't think that aspect has been emphasized enough in other comments on this issue. If Tesle is able to offer more flexibility in customizing the launch bar with climate control icons, I can see myself possibly using different layouts in winter and summer.
This was the basis of my complaint to NHTSA.