Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's are my overarching questions that no one has been able to answer -
  • How is V11 better? How has it made any of the controls easier? Specifically, how is opening a sub menu to find what you need easier than having the items available on the main screen?
  • How was having a full row of controls across the bottom of the screen instead of a bunch of blank space a problem, and how did the icons in the top interfere with using the screen at all?
  • What's the point of hiding controls that you use while driving but then allowing 'customization' of the app tray with games that aren't available while driving?
  • Tesla said they made an 'uncluttered' screen but essentially left large portions empty so they're never used. What's the point of having a large screen if you leave half of it blank?
After using V11 for 3 weeks, The only "benefits" I've found are:
  • multiple destinations on the map are easier to use. (This has almost nothing to do with the interface, though)
  • The automatic seat heaters are nice but only if you leave them on all the time. If you change from the auto setting (say because you want to save energy or the 'auto' setting didn't do what you wanted it to) it's more difficult.
  • The various audio sources can be accessed directly - except you can only have a couple of sources available and if you tap one to access the audio controls then it switches to that source whether you want it to or not. There's also no unified audio panel like there was and in V10 you could easily leave the audio panel minimized across the bottom while using the map. So all in all some minor improvements for specific uses but regression in several others.
  • The settings menu is better organized, but again, that's not something you should need to use while driving and it is also independent of the main driving interface.

My point was not that the car would have managed the conditions any better or worse with a different UI, just that I had numerous requirements to change the climate settings and V11 would have made it more difficult. Many commenters don't seem to understand the reality of this driving environment. The designers and supporters of V11 believe that it's OK to hide many of the climate controls because "set it and forget it" is good enough. That may work in hot or mild climates, but a climate control system requires more driver interaction in the conditions we face in winter. No vehicle is ever going to manage this in an automatic mode, simply because there are not enough sensors to evaluate all the criteria. Only a human can do this, and Elon's goal of error-free automation will never be achieved. As I was driving today, I also realized that part of my objection to V11 is losing instant visual access to the system settings. I don't think that aspect has been emphasized enough in other comments on this issue. If Tesle is able to offer more flexibility in customizing the launch bar with climate control icons, I can see myself possibly using different layouts in winter and summer.
Yes. I hope new dockable icons appear but they also need to be able to update their image. Eg to show if the seats are on/off etc….

And I too would like a different view based on circumstances. I would like to be able to leave the wiper control open during those particular drives where I find Im adjusting it all the time. But the majority of drives I don’t need them and would prefer them to not be present then.

Reactions: Boza and smogne41
I want to be able to see the energy consumption and the map at the same time. I always found the 'cards' a bad interface (never seemed to manage to open the stupid thing on the first swipe) but they presented information I wanted.
And I use the user profile icon to switch profiles frequently because the car often gets it wrong. Input is error, sheesh, what about input because the car made an error?! Why require the extra click to the menu? I think hiding the top icons was daft, it seems to continue the obsession that 'designers' have with 'clean' interfaces these days, usability be damned. :-<

Since we are taking improvements, when I engage track mode I would like to see:
- Battery temperature/voltage (by bank?)
- Brake fluid temperature
- Motors temperature
- Accelerometers and G-forces on two axes (third would be interesting)
- Leaning angle
- Steering angle
- Stopwatch with GPS position
- 0-60-0 and 0-1/4-0 times
- Tire pressure (permanently on the screen)
- Suspension flex and stiffness (permanently on the screen)
- Instant power, by motor
- Instant torque, by motor (absent wheel sensors)
- Instant picture, using the steering wheel buttons, with the above info overlaid
- Ability to log all that on an USB drive

Would gladly give up Sonic and light show (and other games) for this.

(I know that all that is available through the CAN bus and 3rd party apps).

Since we are taking improvements, when I engage track mode I would like to see:
- Battery temperature/voltage (by bank?)
- Brake fluid temperature
- Motors temperature
- Accelerometers and G-forces on two axes (third would be interesting)
- Leaning angle
- Steering angle
- Stopwatch with GPS position
- 0-60-0 and 0-1/4-0 times
- Tire pressure (permanently on the screen)
- Suspension flex and stiffness (permanently on the screen)
- Instant power, by motor
- Instant torque, by motor (absent wheel sensors)
- Instant picture, using the steering wheel buttons, with the above info overlaid
- Ability to log all that on an USB drive

Would gladly give up Sonic and light show (and other games) for this.

(I know that all that is available through the CAN bus and 3rd party apps).
You’re going to need a lot of technical apps in the app toolbox you can select from and dock.

In another TMC thread model S owners complain about the headrest adjustment not showing anymore. "prior to V11, when I pushed the lumbar adjustment, there was a pop up that let me switch the function of the buttons to the headrest adjustment. with V11, that popup no longer appears so I cannot adjust my headrest. I have a 2018 model S 75D."

I have the same issue on my 2019 Model S 100D. Anyone else experience the same? Does it work similar on Model 3?

In another TMC thread model S owners complain about the headrest adjustment not showing anymore. "prior to V11, when I pushed the lumbar adjustment, there was a pop up that let me switch the function of the buttons to the headrest adjustment. with V11, that popup no longer appears so I cannot adjust my headrest. I have a 2018 model S 75D."

I have the same issue on my 2019 Model S 100D. Anyone else experience the same? Does it work similar on Model 3?
No headrest adjustment whatsoever on 3/Y - they're firmly fixed in place! Also lumbar support is not monitored by UI, just physical feedback on the position...and on newer models it only exists for the driver. Tesla determined that passeners doesn't deserve one because they didn't use it enough.

I have 2021 MS (full steering wheel) and the headrest is firmly fixed; no ability to move.
I suspect that V11 was tested on a very limited set of cars (probably half wheel MS only) and that part of the code was cut as part of the “clean interface” effort.
Wondering if older MS with sunroof have a similar issue…

There are now only two views for audio, full and minimal (and off for three?) What happened to the half screen view of music? I used that frequently.
The trip cards were useful as was the tire pressure card. Recently I picked up a nail and needed the map to navigate to a tire store in an unfamiliar town, while also monitoring pressure to ensure I didn't have to stop and pump up the tire. You can't do that now because tire pressure is buried down in a menu that can't be viewed at the same time as the map.
Auto seat heaters are a nice idea, but really don't work well for me. They only turned onto 2 when it was 35 degrees F in the cabin. That should be full bacon. A little while down the road they turned off entirely and it was still cold in the cabin.
The driving visualization is pretty useless and could be smaller.
The speedometer is too small and partly hidden by my right hand when driving.

But my vote for craziest small font is hidden on the radio panel (excuse the moire, I was in a rush):
tesla screen font.jpg

What, the actual F*** does that say? Let's crack out the zoom...

Tesla Tiny Type.jpg

Yep, that's FM 5 pixels high in a slightly darker grey on grey (for those of you playing at home the RGB value are 155,155,167 over 154,155,150). Clearly a case where Output is error.

There are now only two views for audio, full and minimal (and off for three?) What happened to the half screen view of music? I used that frequently.
See below...it's one of the two icons I circled.

View attachment 757143

Repeated presses of your selected audio source button (e.g., radio, Spotify, etc.) will cycle between full screen, minimal screen, and no screen. Selecting the left circled icon alternates the option between half-screen and minimal screen. So you hit it once, and now thereafter when you hit the audio source button, it should toggle between full screen, half-screen and no screen instead.

If you don't want to use full screen ever and just want to toggle between half-screen and minimal screen over and over, then just use the circled icon instead of the audio source button.

To go from full screen directly to no screen, you can swipe down on the audio window all the way in one motion. To bring it back up, you'll need the audio source button.

Err.. I think I covered it.

Last edited:
Repeated presses of your selected audio source button (e.g., radio, Spotify, etc.) will cycle between full screen, minimal screen, and no screen. Selecting the left circled icon alternates the option between half-screen and minimal screen. So you hit it once, and now thereafter when you hit the audio source button, it should toggle between full screen, half-screen and no screen instead.

If you don't want to use full screen ever and just want to toggle between half-screen and minimal screen over and over, then just use the circled icon instead of the audio source button.

To go from full screen directly to no screen, you can swipe down on the audio window all the way in one motion. To bring it back up, you'll need the audio source button.

Err.. I think I covered it.
I'm sorry, I'm trying to stay out of this discussion, but this is lunacy.

I'm thinking this was designed by a bright middle school student, as a summer intern thing.

This is supposed to be easier than swiping the old music window up/down to where you want it? What are they smoking?

Wow. At this point, v10 regression is the only hope. This is literally insane.

OK, I'm late to the party but I'm now a V11 user because I didn’t keep up with rescheduling the software installation so I could stay on V10 a bit longer. I've run through the release notes (somehow lost access to the video intro) and set everything up. I didn't expect it to be very difficult to figure out and it wasn't. However, that doesn't mean I like it. Apart from some very detrimental changes in controls, the overall look is cartoonish and frivolous, lacking the gravitas of V10 display.

There's obviously going to be repetition of what previous posters have commented, but here are my reactions. These are personal opinions; yours may differ, and you’re entitled to disagree from your POV but please don’t tell me I’m wrong.

Improvements
  • blind spot camera (although I haven't used it in battle yet)
  • temperature and seat controls closer to the applicable user
  • defrost controls closer to driver
  • route waypoint editing
  • map mode icon closer to driver
  • Supercharger icon closer to driver
  • recently used icons displayed, rather than being accessed by sweep up on caret icon, hoping it gives the expected result
Fails
  • no ongoing visibility of LTE signal strength, defrost and seat heater settings
  • tiny seat belt display, rotated 90 degrees – harder to interpret
  • don’t like separation of TACC and autosteer status at opposite sides of display
  • need to open climate display to view/change seat heaters and defog/defrost
  • climate display obscures driving display, seat belt status and wiper card. It did this before, but there was much less need to have it open
  • auto seat heaters are activated every time climate control is restored to Auto mode, regardless what setting was previously selected in manual control
  • temperature zone SYNC replaced by Split (why?), but both temperature selectors remain visible, cannot readily determine which mode is active
  • opening climate mini-panel requires changing temperature setting
  • no way to view wiper settings without activating wipers or Controls menu, and the latter is too far away from driver
  • no decimal on odometer, which is also more difficult to access and can’t be left visible because it blocks the map
  • driver profile change requires an extra tap (auto selection is very unreliable, and also I change profile manually before entering garage)
  • rear camera and dashcam icons are too similar
  • music icon used to be a great way to clear any other window and restore the music display at its previous size (I always kept the minimum on-screen size). Now pressing the icon always makes a full-screen display.
  • no more timing on streaming music display
The rest are slight improvements, tolerable/adaptable differences or gimmicks that bring no particular value to my driving experience. Overall, the drawbacks outweigh the advantages for me, but I have no choice but to live with it if I want to keep the car.

On S/X if you tap the map you will get a mini menu: Satellite, traffic and Superchargers. If you tap Superchargers icon it will show them on the map and keep them there. Very similar to V10 experience.

On S/X if you tap the map you will get a mini menu: Satellite, traffic and Superchargers. If you tap Superchargers icon it will show them on the map and keep them there. Very similar to V10 experience.
Not in my Model S. The supercharger icon has been replaced with an option to show/hide map details. Superchargers now can be found in the navigation menu. Model S Owner's Manual | Tesla

Last edited: