Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another issue I have noticed. I can't end a phone call if I have turn signal on, because the blind spot camera display blocks the buttons. This has happened a couple of times when I want to end a phone call while sitting at light waiting for left turn. Anyone has a workaround besides asking the other caller to end the call?
Turn the blind spot cameras off. They’re crap anyway lol

Actually, I am a different human being and I do need to look at the screen when I swipe and tap. I doubt that I am the only one with such “deficiency”…

Leaving aside the wisdom of swiping vs taping in a moving car.
Odd, in a previous post you mentioned you didn't need to look at the screen to tap the defogger...and I quote you "V10 defogger: Touching the icon, not looking. Full attention to the road". So now to just swipe up ANYWHERE on the bottom of the screen you need to look and yet before your precision was awesome! Hopefully you'll get used to the ease of operating v11 soon.

• Disagree
Reactions: finman100
Why do people still argue with an idiot. I respect the effort, but it has no merit.

(sometimes, even if you are a fanboy, it is okay to say: I wish they had done a better job, but unfortunately they made a mistake)
(don't you think I want to be happy, after spending 70k on a car, about that said car?)
You are right, I don't know why I bother but hey some people need helping out!

USA is very litigious, by design. However, the purchase contract enforces arbitration, by default. It is a parallel system to the legal one that, usually, favors the business, not the customer.
Also, mounting a class action lawsuit is expensive and lawyers would undertake it only if it has a very good chance of success. While some of the UI changes create dangerous driving conditions by forcing the driver to take their attention off driving in order to complete critical, driving-related functions, legally, that is somewhat murky. If there is a standard (I hope there is) then it will be more cut and dry situation; but then the NHTSA would intervene faster than any court.
I still think that, absent Tesla coming to their senses, the regulator is the next fastest thing. Otherwise, I believe in the market and I know that it will force a correction - but that will take a while. I will probably not/don’t want to own Tesla when that happens.
One of the benefits of owning a Tesla is the fact that the car can evolve over the course of its life through software updates. Even at the risk of there being an update at some point that I don’t 100% agree with, I consider that a huge benefit relative to other cars.

On my BMW checking tire pressure is 3 - 4 screens deep. It was that on the day I bought it, and it will be that 20 years from now.

On my Tesla that was moved to a submenu (which is still only 2 clicks in). Yeah, some people are not crazy about that but at least it can be refined further in later updates, and plus frankly tire pressure checking (to see if it is + or - 1 or 2 PSI off) is hardly a critical function and not something you should be doing while driving anyway.

For people talking about getting regulators involved (assuming this is because you are actually genuinely concerned and not some sort of attempt to sabotage Tesla). I think you should really be careful what you wish for, as you are potentially advocating for regulators to step in and cripple Tesla’s ability to make any modification to the UI on any car sold for better or worse.

If locking the UI down is really a priority for people then there are always legacy autos out there and I’m sure there are other manufacturers that would gladly promise you they will never change a single thing on your car once sold.

It’s not like v10 was the holy grail of UI design. I think v11 is a step forward in many regards. I’m sure it will be refined further in coming releases. Then one day 1.5 years from now people will be up in arms over what v12 did to their beloved v11.

Reactions: TexasTezla
One of the benefits of owning a Tesla is the fact that the car can evolve over the course of its life through software updates. Even at the risk of there being an update at some point that I don’t 100% agree with, I consider that a huge benefit relative to other cars.

On my BMW checking tire pressure is 3 - 4 screens deep. It was that on the day I bought it, and it will be that 20 years from now.

On my Tesla that was moved to a submenu (which is still only 2 clicks in). Yeah, some people are not crazy about that but at least it can be refined further in later updates, and plus frankly tire pressure checking (to see if it is + or - 1 or 2 PSI off) is hardly a critical function and not something you should be doing while driving anyway.

For people talking about getting regulators involved (assuming this is because you are actually genuinely concerned and not some sort of attempt to sabotage Tesla). I think you should really be careful what you wish for, as you are potentially advocating for regulators to step in and cripple Tesla’s ability to make any modification to the UI on any car sold for better or worse.

If locking the UI down is really a priority for people then there are always legacy autos out there and I’m sure there are other manufacturers that would gladly promise you they will never change a single thing on your car once sold.

It’s not like v10 was the holy grail of UI design. I think v11 is a step forward in many regards. I’m sure it will be refined further in coming releases. Then one day 1.5 years from now people will be up in arms over what v12 did to their beloved v11.
If only my problem with it was just the tire pressure

• Funny
Reactions: TexasTezla

The tyre pressure issue bemuses me if I’m honest. I can honestly say hand on heart in 30+ yrs of motoring I’ve never felt the need to know what my tyre pressures are constantly. Even on previous cars with TPMS I maybe checked it once a month or so, visually if the tyre looks ok then it’s well within most driver parameters of daily driving. Once a month checks were all that any of my cars got pre TPMS too.🤷🏼‍♂️

The tyre pressure issue bemuses me if I’m honest. I can honestly say hand on heart in 30+ yrs of motoring I’ve never felt the need to know what my tyre pressures are constantly. Even on previous cars with TPMS I maybe checked it once a month or so, visually if the tyre looks ok then it’s well within most driver parameters of daily driving. Once a month checks were all that any of my cars got pre TPMS too.🤷🏼‍♂️
You are the same as 99.9% of drivers: we do not need to see it constantly. It's just being used as another dart

• Disagree
Reactions: finman100
And has been repeated many times, you only face more danger the longer you take your eyes of the road...in v11 you don't need to take your eyes off the road to swipe up on the screen...hence no more danger.
I'm sorry, but WTF?????? Are you on drugs???? (Maybe you need some?)

V11 requires more taps for common & necessary actions. Beyond that, after you get to the necessary menu to perform those actions the buttons are in the middle of the screen or are sliders with takes more concentration and effort to hit, especially with an outstretched arm in a car with a piss-poor suspension (MY). There is no rational way to argue that V11 does not require more attention.

As far as the denial of the defroster making. dangerous situation - it's not how long it takes the windshield to clear after you turn it on, it's how dangerous it is to be distracted by the controls in the middle of a snowstorm with an iced up windshield when you can barely see the road. (I realize that this is a foreign environment for Texas, but the world is far bigger than Texas, so try to broaden your horizons a bit)

In general you're correct, but there are situations where it is convenient to be able to do so. Case in point - my son's girlfriend's tire went flat a few weeks ago. It was quite cold (-20º C), and we had just had a snow and ice storm. We didn't see any obvious cause and I filled it up for her so she could get home but she needed to monitor it to make sure it didn't lose pressure on the way.

The tire pressure screen is one of the more minor issues with V11, IMO, but it's just one more issue. If that were the only thing people wouldn't be complaining.

I'm sorry, but WTF?????? Are you on drugs???? (Maybe you need some?)

V11 requires more taps for common & necessary actions. Beyond that, after you get to the necessary menu to perform those actions the buttons are in the middle of the screen or are sliders with takes more concentration and effort to hit, especially with an outstretched arm in a car with a piss-poor suspension (MY). There is no rational way to argue that V11 does not require more attention.

As far as the denial of the defroster making. dangerous situation - it's not how long it takes the windshield to clear after you turn it on, it's how dangerous it is to be distracted by the controls in the middle of a snowstorm with an iced up windshield when you can barely see the road. (I realize that this is a foreign environment for Texas, but the world is far bigger than Texas, so try to broaden your horizons a bit)
You are too funny...as the defroster is now so dangerous you had better not take your vehicle out again...far too lethal! LOL
In general you're correct, but there are situations where it is convenient to be able to do so. Case in point - my son's girlfriend's tire went flat a few weeks ago. It was quite cold (-20º C), and we had just had a snow and ice storm. We didn't see any obvious cause and I filled it up for her so she could get home but she needed to monitor it to make sure it didn't lose pressure on the way.

The tire pressure screen is one of the more minor issues with V11, IMO, but it's just one more issue. If that were the only thing people wouldn't be complaining.
Monitoring can be left to the actual monitors...where do you think the reading of pressure comes from?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Xdama and finman100