Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the benefit of turning on the HVAC to check/control the seat warmers?
Er, it doesn't. Where do you get this nonsense? If you don't want AC to come on then just press the AC button and it stays off regardless of how many times you swipe. If you press the OFF Button that turns of ALL climate control (AC, SEATS etc). The system is quite smart in that it will TURN ON the system when you swipe up as it assumes (correctly for 99.99999% of users that want to access the screen for a reason. I left you out!) that you want to do something witht he climate. Had it not turned on then you would likely complain that you had to hit another button! LOL

You're welcome

Last edited:
Having bought the car, it is in our interest to like the car (else it would be a lot of money down the drain). So if even people who have something to gain by liking v11 do not like it, it says something about v11.
v11 is great. Every real world owner I have spoken to does not have a problem with it or certainly don't voice any concern whatsoever. So many posts, like this recent one about turning on AC with the swipe up, are just people looking for ANYTHING to bash v11..even when the issue has been proven to be false. Nonsense about needing to see tire pressures the whole time. Pure niche needs (if not just false claims). People who say they cannot swipe up from anywhere at the bottom of the screen without looking, but somehow are miraculously able to find a button on the screen without looking. Not believable. I get some people don't like v11 but some of the excuses have been so lame. Many purely down to not actually knowing how to operate the new layout correctly. Take the time to learn it and it becomes easy to manage.

If you just plain don't like it then fine but I guess you'll just have to get used to it. Don't think this is the only change to come. I expect lots more and welcome them.

I experienced this exact scenario shortly after installing V11 - twisty mountain road, no cell service (why Tesla doesn't have enough processing power to handle voice commands locally but can play video games is beyond me), a rapidly fogging windshield, and trying to locate and press the defroster button on the pop up window without running off the road. Totally brain dead design by people who stare at computer screens all day and never actually drive. Oh, that's right, all input is error and the car knows best.

Don't get me wrong - I love the car. But the UI keeps trending in the wrong direction. Maybe Elon's plan is to make driving the car yourself such a miserable experience everyone will be forced to buy FSD.
Try slowing down and you wont run off the road in the treacherous mountain roads with a fogging windshield. If swiping up from anywhere on the bottom of the screen and hitting a button, as opposed to hitting a button, is really going to cause you to crash then perhaps you are driving way too fast for the conditions.

v11 is great. Every real world owner I have spoken to does not have a problem with it or certainly don't voice any concern whatsoever. So many posts, like this recent one about turning on AC with the swipe up, are just people looking for ANYTHING to bash v11..even when the issue has been proven to be false. Nonsense about needing to see tire pressures the whole time. Pure niche needs (if not just false claims). People who say they cannot swipe up from anywhere at the bottom of the screen without looking, but somehow are miraculously able to find a button on the screen without looking. Not believable. I get some people don't like v11 but some of the excuses have been so lame. Many purely down to not actually knowing how to operate the new layout correctly. Take the time to learn it and it becomes easy to manage.

If you just plain don't like it then fine but I guess you'll just have to get used to it. Don't think this is the only change to come. I expect lots more and welcome them.
I'm a real world owner and I hate it. The MS is still version 10 but the MY is screwed up by v11. You haven't spoken to me but let's chalk this up to a "chat" and now your first sentence doesn't hold water.

I'm a real world owner and I hate it. The MS is still version 10 but the MY is screwed up by v11. You haven't spoken to me but let's chalk this up to a "chat" and now your first sentence doesn't hold water.
You are not in my real world. Anybody that really thinks their car is now screwed up due to moving some buttons around is deluded. You don't LIKE it, I get it, but your CAR is not screwed up! Something else might be though.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Jclboston
Er, it doesn't. Where do you get this nonsense? If you don't want AC to come on then just press the AC button and it stays off regardless of how many times you swipe. If you press the OFF Button that turns of ALL climate control (AC, SEATS etc). The system is quite smart in that it will TURN ON the system when you swipe up as it assumes (correctly for 99.99999% of users that want to access the screen for a reason. I left you out!) that you want to do something witht he climate. Had it not turned on then you would likely complain that you had to hit another button! LOL

You're welcome
HVAC - Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning
In order to see/control the seat warmers you have to swipe up which turns on at least the fan (“Ventilation”). Why turning on the fan is necessary for the seat warmers? If I want seat warmers I will use seat warmers; if I want ventilation I will use ventilation. Like in a normal UI.

Turning on irrelevant system to allow you control of the system you want is the opposite of smart. It is dumb! By any normal logic.

I guess when you are so fast swipeing, tapping, etc. without looking you have no idea what is actually happening.

You are not in my real world. Anybody that really thinks their car is now screwed up due to moving some buttons around is deluded. You don't LIKE it, I get it, but your CAR is not screwed up! Something else might be though.
You are absolutely correct: the car isn't screwed up but the UI is and FOR ME the driving experience isn't anywhere as enjoyable as it has been for the past 6 years. Thankfully, you are not in my world either. Glad you and your real world pals that you have talked to are happy. Obviously there are a lot of unhappy people on the other side of the issue. I don't think you can just dismiss their concerns as hysteria.

Reactions: Sporty
You are absolutely correct: the car isn't screwed up but the UI is and FOR ME the driving experience isn't anywhere as enjoyable as it has been for the past 6 years. Thankfully, you are not in my world either. Glad you and your real world pals that you have talked to are happy. Obviously there are a lot of unhappy people on the other side of the issue. I don't think you can just dismiss their concerns as hysteria.
Never had dismissed personal dislike. Just not accepting the hissy fits about the car now being suddenly dangerous due to v11. It isn't.

HVAC - Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning
In order to see/control the seat warmers you have to swipe up which turns on at least the fan (“Ventilation”). Why turning on the fan is necessary for the seat warmers? If I want seat warmers I will use seat warmers; if I want ventilation I will use ventilation. Like in a normal UI.

Turning on irrelevant system to allow you control of the system you want is the opposite of smart. It is dumb! By any normal logic.

I guess when you are so fast swipeing, tapping, etc. without looking you have no idea what is actually happening.
So now we have gone from HVAC to just the fan now have we? Now you are taking away the heating and AC and just leaving the fan which you can set on 1 and never even notice it...that fan right? This is the tenor of your argument? As it happens ventilation is good for the car and good for you. It allows fresh air in which can be heated or not. Sorry but I just don't believe you are concerned over this non issue. You are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. What's next? You still never answered about your pinpoint accuracy to hit the defogger without looking but your inability to swipe up on the screen without looking. if you can do the former you can easily do the latter...it just doesn't fit your narrative.

I have endured this update for over a month now. It has *not* grown on me. I'm more upset with myself for not reading about it before I installed it. I bought into the fiction that Tesla improves the cars OTA.

I joined TMC specifically to see if owners have had Tesla roll back the "update," but I haven't seen that yet. I emailed my service center, but have not heard back.

TLDR; V11 degraded the experience and did nothing to improve functionality. It's as if middle management said "we have to make some changes, but I don't care what." And a designer said "we can change this." Another designer said "that doesn't actually help, but hey, it's above my pay grade."

Here's my problems with V11. (I also don't like the font, but can't put my finger on what's wrong)

Driver profile. I use 2, 1 for work uniform, 1 if dressed regularly, and my wife has 1. Can no longer see how the seat is set b4 I get in. The previous location did not obscure anything, and moving it to the menu was only change for the sake of change; it did nothing to improve functionality.

Saving dashcam clip. Moving it inside a menu made operation more hazardous. The large button is nice, but it’s still about the same reach as it was before. It too should return to the top of the map screen, but make it larger and closer to the driver. It could replace the redundant padlock on the top row. It’s illegal in my jurisdiction to honk unless it’s to avoid an accident. Moving this to the menu was only change for the sake of change; it did nothing to improve functionality.

Radio. It used to be a simple, functional button. There was no need to split it into ‘streaming’ and ‘FM’ buttons. There’s also no need for them to display full screen. I never used full screen before, and now that’s the default display. Pushing the icon to shrink it doesn’t shrink the way using the playlist icon does, but finding that while driving is yet again making operation more hazardous. If the driver profile and dashcam clip were in the way of the map, why make the music full screen, obscuring the entire map. This was change only for the sake of change; not only did it not improve functionality, it removed functionality and made operation more hazardous.

Seat heaters. Adding auto was nice, the first time it was on and I didn’t want it, I turned auto off. Please move them back to bottom row. Moving it inside a menu did not improve functionality. There are large, empty areas on the menu bar that could hold them.

HVAC. Even when I have the HVAC synced, the passenger side shows up. It appears/disappears randomly. Useless. Pressing temp should turn HVAC on/off, and swiping up can bring up full panel.

Tripmeter. There was nothing wrong with the previous version. It was easier to operate and MUCH easier to read. New version is information diarrhea. Again, hiding it in a menu and trying to find it somewhere in the middle made operation more hazardous. I can no longer show the tripmeter and the energy graph together.

The only change to UI that remotely makes sense is the movement of defrost to HVAC menu. But again, the previous location did not hinder operation, and moving it did not improve operation.

Blind-spot camera and remote sentry are nice, but I would gladly give them up (and drive the 6hr roundtrip to my svc cntr) to get back the much more user-friendly, functional, and safer UI.

In a movement to automate functions, V11 has made the dubious iteration to *increased* driver interaction.

(why Tesla doesn't have enough processing power to handle voice commands locally but can play video games is beyond me),
moving bits around in sprites via 'video card' hardware has has nothing to do with voice recognition and keeping huge dictionaries locally is against their whole 'connected car' push.

they need fast video hardware to make the moving bits not take up 'user' cpu time. but there is no such 'assist' for decoding voice.

I don't own the car yet.. but did have a 24 hour demo drive with v10 that i barely remember at this point. I'm really curious about how the UI in my car will feel to me.. probably much less objectionable than with current owners.

Anyway, i wonder about the truth (or lack thereof) of this statement - if something makes the operator FEEL less safe, is it in fact less safe? My gut feeling is yes (EDIT - for that person).