Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who's the Tesla software engineer that decided to put the right door homelink button on the left side of the screen and the left door homelink button on the right. Does he know righty tighty lefty loosey? The last update reconfiguration of screen data is confounding and distressing.

"It's not your car, it's Elon's car."

That is how I sum up my feelings about this whole thing. I love the car that I bought. But at any time, Elon can just change it. Maybe I'll like how he changes it. Maybe I'll hate how he changes it. Doesn't matter, I have no say. I find that depressing. Especially after spending > $70k on the car. Right now I can say without hesitation that I love the car less than I did when I bought it. And it has nothing to do with wear & tear, etc. It has to do with changes that were made without my consent, changes I would never have agreed to. And my expectation is that there will be more to come. Even if I love the next update, I will always expect it to get worse again.

I knew going in that this could happen. But when it actually does happen, it still sucks.

I still love the car. But part of me is already looking forward to my next car, which will definitely be electric and will definitely not be a Tesla.
And just like that, another update has made the car worse. Updated to 22.4.5 last night and now Tidal is gone. Reading other posts on the forum, some people still have it, and for some people it disappeared (even before the update) and eventually came back. So, maybe I'll get it back, and maybe I won't.

This is just lame.

The introduction of Tidal was literally the only thing I thought was an improvement for v11. And now, after signing up for a Tidal subscription, organizing and downloading some good music on Tidal, it's just gone. I'm pretty fed up with Tesla right now.

I wrote before about the fact that V11 is a symptom; the issue is much deeper. Here is a video that explains it more eloquently
That video was spot-on. I especially like his point about the gap between the early adopters and the early mainstream (I might have the terms wrong)... the gap represents the jump from "the people who will put up with your bull****, to the people who won't." I think that is a lot of what we're seeing here. The cars are amazing but there is a lot of BS to put up with. And yeah -- with the obsession with autonomy and humanoid robots, Tesla has strayed quite a bit from their original "why" or mission.

The reality is that the sales numbers don't back up these doom and gloom analyses. I've been hearing similar stories about Apple for over a decade at this point…same thing. As long as the sales numbers are there, nothing will change.
The sales numbers are lagging indicator because they are at the bottom of the funnel. When those start slipping it is already too late and really, really hard and painful to reverse.
To be clear, while I share his concerns, I do not agree with the conclusion that Tesla will die. More likely scenario is some major event, even a perfect storm, that will force a major restructuring and the result will have little to do with the Tesla we know today. At this point they are too big and have too big of a fan base to just disappear.
Strongly recommend listening to their Q4 earnings call. Super insightful (e.g. you can almost see the stock sliding when Elon made the robot comments) and some very interesting and subtle dynamics between Elon and the management team.

Last edited:
Reactions: gforce2002
And just like that, another update has made the car worse. Updated to 22.4.5 last night and now Tidal is gone. Reading other posts on the forum, some people still have it, and for some people it disappeared (even before the update) and eventually came back. So, maybe I'll get it back, and maybe I won't.

This is just lame.

The introduction of Tidal was literally the only thing I thought was an improvement for v11. And now, after signing up for a Tidal subscription, organizing and downloading some good music on Tidal, it's just gone. I'm pretty fed up with Tesla right now.
Tidal came out with one of the v10 updates

I wrote before about the fact that V11 is a symptom; the issue is much deeper. Here is a video that explains it more eloquently
Agree completely. V11 is a symptom. That it was released in the condition it was speaks a lot to either Tesla’s QA and testing, its management culture, or both. Either the team doesn’t really care or Elon pushed for it and no one could say no. Scary either way and not sustainable long term because as others have mentioned, “regular” customers are not going to put up with that stuff.

I hope this is not true, I remember when I was thinking about getting an all electric car back in 2012 and what was out there was ugly or could not go more than 90 miles. Then I got my December Automobile Magazine and on the cover was the Tesla Model S. That was it, a nice looking car that can go 200 miles. I never paid for FSD and not sure my 2016 Model X has the capability to have it, so why was V11 pushed to it.

Agree completely. V11 is a symptom. That it was released in the condition it was speaks a lot to either Tesla’s QA and testing, its management culture, or both. Either the team doesn’t really care or Elon pushed for it and no one could say no. Scary either way and not sustainable long term because as others have mentioned, “regular” customers are not going to put up with that stuff.
To add insult to injury they released a video of the engineers making it and how proud they were of their creation. Check their LinkedIn page.

I hope this is not true, I remember when I was thinking about getting an all electric car back in 2012 and what was out there was ugly or could not go more than 90 miles. Then I got my December Automobile Magazine and on the cover was the Tesla Model S. That was it, a nice looking car that can go 200 miles. I never paid for FSD and not sure my 2016 Model X has the capability to have it, so why was V11 pushed to it.
I doubt that any car that they push out today, including the refreshed models, will have the FSD as they are creating the impression of it. When I paid for mine I approached it as a driving assistant feature and, as such, I am pretty happy about it. But, as it is now, it is super overpriced. The fact that they turned it into a subscription is very, very telling as well.

To add insult to injury they released a video of the engineers making it and how proud they were of their creation. Check their LinkedIn page.

I wonder if it was someone’s idea If trying to put some sort of positive spin on the release after seeing all the negative comments about it.

I mostly agree with the video but I still have hope they will make some corrections before it’s too late. It still is the best EV. The problems are creeping beyond it but fixing the software department in charge of the UI would go a long way.

Reactions: smogne41

This is just lame.

Just reboot the system, then wait, it will reappear. It happens on every reboot by the way. But it always shows back on my shortcut on the bottom eventually. Why? IDK!!!