Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He pulled it off to clarify some points. He promised to put it back in a few days.
Ben has a channel about data analytics and data driven decisions. He is a big Tesla fan (I think he raised money to buy Elon a couch when he moved to TX); that is why the video was interesting.

Here is the antidote to V11 mediocrity:

MBZ calls it ‘zero layer’. I.e: very important functions are always one click away.

Its a design concept. Might seem very strange to the V11 loving hipster doofuses. 🤣

Here is the antidote to V11 mediocrity:

MBZ calls it ‘zero layer’. I.e: very important functions are always one click away.

Its a design concept. Might seem very strange to the V11 loving hipster doofuses. 🤣
That sounds hard to do. And boring. Light shows are more fun.

EDIT: I'm channeling the Tesla "developers", if that's not obvious.

• Funny
Reactions: QUBO
Let me be clear: V11 was the trigger for me to start getting educated. I would have been happily driving my car with incremental V10 updates until something else happened (I had other, quality and design issues, they were minor but still made me question my choice).
The real question in my mind now is when to sell the car. I don’t want to go ICE and, at the moment, I do not have other viable alternative. Probably, it will take a couple of years for that to happen. Will Tesla resale value drop from a cliff until then? I am happy that I bought just before the crazy growth happened (I have Raven - the last full wheel MS) so I hope it will hold its value a bit better. Interestingly, in Norway - the country with the largest EV market in the world - Tesla is not the leading brand. Yes, there is a long waiting list for Tesla but how long will that last? With all those new factories creating low quality products, bad customer service, lack of focus and constant drama? I have never owned a product with so much drama around it, even though I had Audis during the dieselgate.
There is a moment when a company outgrows its founders. It is like a child reaching adulthood - you have to let it go on its own way in life. At some point, the company needs a different skill set from its leaders and a founder, that was amazing at starting it, becomes detrimental, for many reasons. Lack of focus in early days is actually beneficial; low quality is not such an issue; niche customer base is actually good; etc.
I am convinced that, at this point, Elon is not an asset for Tesla - he is doing more harm than good. In fact, I think he should focus on automation outside of Tesla - he would be much more successful that way, without the distractions from a business that is not for him anymore.
Tesla is at an inflection point now. The chasm is full of many great corpses that tried to grow too quickly without paying attention to the fundamentals. Tesla fans are probably too young but others remember pets.com. Tesla needs different type of leadership now. I am wondering how long it would take to happen, how big of disturbing event we will have before it happens and if I want to be a customer when it happens.

Let me be clear: V11 was the trigger for me to start getting educated. I would have been happily driving my car with incremental V10 updates until something else happened (I had other, quality and design issues, they were minor but still made me question my choice).
The real question in my mind now is when to sell the car. I don’t want to go ICE and, at the moment, I do not have other viable alternative. Probably, it will take a couple of years for that to happen. Will Tesla resale value drop from a cliff until then? I am happy that I bought just before the crazy growth happened (I have Raven - the last full wheel MS) so I hope it will hold its value a bit better. Interestingly, in Norway - the country with the largest EV market in the world - Tesla is not the leading brand. Yes, there is a long waiting list for Tesla but how long will that last? With all those new factories creating low quality products, bad customer service, lack of focus and constant drama? I have never owned a product with so much drama around it, even though I had Audis during the dieselgate.
There is a moment when a company outgrows its founders. It is like a child reaching adulthood - you have to let it go on its own way in life. At some point, the company needs a different skill set from its leaders and a founder, that was amazing at starting it, becomes detrimental, for many reasons. Lack of focus in early days is actually beneficial; low quality is not such an issue; niche customer base is actually good; etc.
I am convinced that, at this point, Elon is not an asset for Tesla - he is doing more harm than good. In fact, I think he should focus on automation outside of Tesla - he would be much more successful that way, without the distractions from a business that is not for him anymore.
Tesla is at an inflection point now. The chasm is full of many great corpses that tried to grow too quickly without paying attention to the fundamentals. Tesla fans are probably too young but others remember pets.com. Tesla needs different type of leadership now. I am wondering how long it would take to happen, how big of disturbing event we will have before it happens and if I want to be a customer when it happens.
I couldn't agree more. Elon has sort of "Peter Principled" his way into CEO. There's no shame in admitting you're not a people person, not a business person, etc. (I just this week quit a new job I had been in for less than a month and am taking a 30% pay cut to go back to where I was a better fit.) How many businesses has he started up? There was that AI company and The Boring Company. Driving automation should be spun off so it doesn't derail Tesla. And he seems to be all-in on TeslaBot. Those sound much more fun than Tesla and SpaceX probably are now that they're serious profit-making ventures with real obligations.

Thanks for the Peter Principle. Have not heard about it before. Quite interesting but I am not sure if it applies here.
Actually, Elon has a pretty good track record for starting successful companies, e.g. X.com (which later became PayPal). However, he never ran a company of the magnitude of Tesla and it shows. He is good at starting something and getting it to a point; later, he loses interest and, in my opinion, he is out of his depth. “Professionals can be unorthodox; the amateurs are simply incompetent”
As you stated, there is nothing wrong with admitting that something is beyond one’s skills or they are not really interested in it. But it takes courage and maturity to do that.
At the moment, the shareholders are happy. The incoming crisis with Ukraine will probably extend that state of happiness for a while. But once things start turning, it will be ugly and they and the Board will not tolerate idiotic things like the robot.

Changing leadership is a dangerous time for a company as it could benefit the company or destroy it. I have seen a wonderful company destroyed when the wrong people ousted the founder and took control. However, things have to change at Tesla. The micro-management style must change and they need to switch to a more quality oriented company. Just making changes to the vehicles for the sake of change is not enough. The changes need to bring safety/quality/enhanced user experience with them. Anyway, that is my thought on the subject.

Name ONE "critical function" that is "dangerous" to do now in v11 that wasn't "dangerous" in v10...
'Critical' has little to do with it - the touch screen UI was already less safe than real buttons for things people may do frequently during a drive (heated seats on/off, defrost on/off)

They have made it more dangerous and just because it's harder to do now doesn't mean people won't still want to do these things (google texting + driving accident stats) meaning Tesla just made the car more dangerous w/o good cause

Name ONE "critical function" that is "dangerous" to do now in v11 that wasn't "dangerous" in v10...
Not sure if it meets whatever is defined as a Tesla "critical function" implemented in the GUI, but losing the ability to zoom out from the centered map, or have a reasonable default zoom level requires me to pinch out, which then decenters the car. I.e. they remove the +/- option. The offshoot of this is that I spend too much time looking down at the map fiddling with the zoom level instead of out at the traffic.