Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'll just say it's been wonderful being able to adjust (and view the status of!) seat heaters, front and rear defrosters, and wipers from the bottom bar without needing to go through ten million menus since this last update rolled out. still annoyed at not having room for dash cam in the bottom bar after adding all those and that viewing trip fuel economy stats requires me to fully obscure the map, but baby steps i guess.

though this last update broke the mid-height radio because it now shows only one row of presets and consequently only 2 presets at a time before you have to scroll sideways. dangerous? no idea, but since the order of presets changes every time you select one and i still can't remove 2 of them after moving to the east coast and they are always at the top of the recents lists even though i never listen to them, you can bet that i'm keeping my eyes off the road longer than necessary.

i'll just say it's been wonderful being able to adjust (and view the status of!) seat heaters, front and rear defrosters, and wipers from the bottom bar without needing to go through ten million menus since this last update rolled out. still annoyed at not having room for dash cam in the bottom bar after adding all those and that viewing trip fuel economy stats requires me to fully obscure the map, but baby steps i guess.

though this last update broke the mid-height radio because it now shows only one row of presets and consequently only 2 presets at a time before you have to scroll sideways. dangerous? no idea, but since the order of presets changes every time you select one and i still can't remove 2 of them after moving to the east coast and they are always at the top of the recents lists even though i never listen to them, you can bet that i'm keeping my eyes off the road longer than necessary.

Still no support for seat heater status on legacy cars running hardware two. I'm still stuck with the same bottom bar that I had before having to dig through menus to get to things that I need but it's okay for me to put the arcade and the toy box down there but I can't put my seat heaters and defrosters or other more useful essentials down there, it's still ass backwards.

And I agree why on Earth all of the presets have to rearrange themselves every time I select one is mine numbing. So the mid height radio may still work if you swipe up on it. I can still do that but then of course all the presets go away and only those associated with the current source are displayed. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Tried putting seat heaters, front and rear defrosters, and wipers etc on bottom bar after updating. Thought I’d done it but they’ve buggered off again🤦‍♂️ Obviously not tech savvy enough lol

I've been vocal about the shortcomings of V11 and of the areas that have been worse than V10. I've also recognized some of the fixes that subsequent updates have trickled in. But it's interesting to see other manufacturers coming into similar issues as well. In BMW's latest iDrive 8, I just recently saw a video highlighting that it takes 4 taps on-screen to control seat warmers. BMWs used to be so good with balancing physical buttons and on-screen UI's.

• Informative
Reactions: BnGrm
I've been vocal about the shortcomings of V11 and of the areas that have been worse than V10. I've also recognized some of the fixes that subsequent updates have trickled in. But it's interesting to see other manufacturers coming into similar issues as well. In BMW's latest iDrive 8, I just recently saw a video highlighting that it takes 4 taps on-screen to control seat warmers. BMWs used to be so good with balancing physical buttons and on-screen UI's.
Yeah, a lot of manufacturers seem to be running into problems with their UI/UX for various controls. Part of it's definitely the overall trend toward fewer physical buttons (sometimes good, sometimes bad IMO). The other reason for it is the increasing overall complexity and number of configurable options for just about every aspect of modern cars. My favorite manufacturer for UI/UX is Mazda, and part of the reason is that they don't offer as many configurable options through menus in their UI.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Yeah, a lot of manufacturers seem to be running into problems with their UI/UX for various controls. Part of it's definitely the overall trend toward fewer physical buttons (sometimes good, sometimes bad IMO). The other reason for it is the increasing overall complexity and number of configurable options for just about every aspect of modern cars. My favorite manufacturer for UI/UX is Mazda, and part of the reason is that they don't offer as many configurable options through menus in their UI.
Good user interface design seems easy when it’s done well but in reality it’s very diffIcult. We see Evidence of this in many makes and models that get things wrong.

Using the touch screen has advantages in being adaptable and having the ability to change based on context but that same adaptability can also be confusing or awkward if not done well.

Good user interface design seems easy when it’s done well but in reality it’s very diffIcult. We see Evidence of this in many makes and models that get things wrong.

Using the touch screen has advantages in being adaptable and having the ability to change based on context but that same adaptability can also be confusing or awkward if not done well.
Tesla is also hitting one of the things that plagues most of the software industry in a very negative way: Imposing updates on already mature interfaces. It almost never goes well, especially at first. Usually you have your UI interactions well optimized after a few major iterations of your software. Any schedule-driven or management-driven (and not user-feedback driven) 'refresh' after that de-optimizes your UI, sometimes in horrible ways. See Windows 8, GNOME 3, or Android 12, etc.

Tesla is also hitting one of the things that plagues most of the software industry in a very negative way: Imposing updates on already mature interfaces. It almost never goes well, especially at first. Usually you have your UI interactions well optimized after a few major iterations of your software. Any schedule-driven or management-driven (and not user-feedback driven) 'refresh' after that de-optimizes your UI, sometimes in horrible ways. See Windows 8, GNOME 3, or Android 12, etc.
Absolutely right! I am just waiting when they decide to move from color icons to black and white; or the debate between 2D and 3D icons; round or square corners… Honestly, the designers have too much time on their hands.

Absolutely right! I am just waiting when they decide to move from color icons to black and white; or the debate between 2D and 3D icons; round or square corners… Honestly, the designers have too much time on their hands.
I'd like the charge level of my phone to show up on the screen, just like the beat up base model rental Kia I'm driving this week does. I guess that's too big a bridge to cross.

Every time I get a software update that touts a ‘fresh new look!’ I want to scream. I work in healthcare and we use an electronic medical record made by a company called Epic. A few ‘upgrades’ ago they decided the icons needed updating and changes how everything looked for no good reason. They got an earful from their user base on that one!

Anyone else noticed the latest update doesn’t accept destination addresses from Google maps in a usable format? I used to be able to send an address whilst sat having a coffee in the house. Since the latest update I can’t it’s split destination into Street, City, Country & Postcode boxes but address all gets put into 1 box when sent from phone. Very frustrating as it used to work perfectly well🤷🏼‍♂️

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO