Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Billy Basic question...
If I am offered some off-peak rates outside the "normal" OP times, then it is my understanding that the whole house gets to take advantage of the 7.5p rate. What happens if the car is fully charged before then? Will the outside-the-normal-OP period be cancelled?

If I am offered some off-peak rates outside the "normal" OP times, then it is my understanding that the whole house gets to take advantage of the 7.5p rate. What happens if the car is fully charged before then? Will the outside-the-normal-OP period be cancelled?
good question - my car need 25% to hit limit set however I have been given the schedule below - my maths suggests I need 2 and half hours to reach this yet the schedule suggests 4 hours so would I get the last 'slot' at the cheap rate for whole house ?

Attachments

• AAEA4513-203F-4987-A8E3-9F9D3BE098C2_1_201_a.jpeg
    AAEA4513-203F-4987-A8E3-9F9D3BE098C2_1_201_a.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
good question - my car need 25% to hit limit set however I have been given the schedule below - my maths suggests I need 2 and half hours to reach this yet the schedule suggests 4 hours so would I get the last 'slot' at the cheap rate for whole house ?
At this point I'm assuming that, if the car doesn't start charging because its full "and you get the unable to control error" then your house electric would continue to be charged at normal rate? Until someone that is organised enough can check their bill, vs what their charge window was supposed to be and compare to that if/when their car was actually charging - we may not know for sure.

I've just thought of a random question though. Do we still get the free hour each month? Or was that only a Go thing.?

Doesn't tend to happen in practice, because as those who have been on IO for a while will have noticed, it doesn't always charge for the full 30min slot, so the last scheduled HH always sees some action. What *can* happen is the schedule can change dynamically, although it generally settles down later in the evening.

same, on the device screen change the charge limit and the screen will refresh and show a schedule. This worked the other night but tonight the schedule shows one hour 30 mins to go from 33% to 85%, that’s not right at all. I guess I’ll bump charge it at 1130 tonight.

hope this gets sorted soon.

Update: I just changed the Ready by Time to 30 mins later (9am) and it refreshed the screen. Now I have a schedule:
12.30 to 2am
2.30 to 3am
4.00 to 4.30am
4.30 to 7.30am
8.00 to 9am.

Last edited:
So I just got home and plugged in, worked like a charm as per normal. So its clearly not affecting everybody, or, it was a temporary bug that is now fixed, and changing the ready by time forced a refresh and thusly solved the issue.

I don't have any advice in these situations other than, don't do like I did and jump the gun and think i'll just reauthorise the car or start over from scratch, because that ended up causing a lot more hassle than neccesary, when on that occasion it turned out to be an API bug that the Octopus team fixed the following day.

Just gotta remember its a beta product. Far more so than GO at any rate.

I’ve literally just signed up for Intelligent today as our Go prices where coming to an end at the end of the month (didn’t really want to switch today but the app indicated it wouldn’t happen until I test charged and then changed me over anyway)

However I am using an Ohme Home Pro. I’ve just done a long journey so I’m at 13%. The Ohme app is recognising that I’m on intelligent, but I’ve no way to tell if it will be charging within the Intelligent timeframes? Has anyone else figured this out?

As I asked for 100% by 07:30, it wants to charge immediately, but at 40.75p / kWh I really don’t want it to be not “scheduled” by Intelligent, but no way to tell?!

I’ve literally just signed up for Intelligent today as our Go prices where coming to an end at the end of the month (didn’t really want to switch today but the app indicated it wouldn’t happen until I test charged and then changed me over anyway)

However I am using an Ohme Home Pro. I’ve just done a long journey so I’m at 13%. The Ohme app is recognising that I’m on intelligent, but I’ve no way to tell if it will be charging within the Intelligent timeframes? Has anyone else figured this out?

As I asked for 100% by 07:30, it wants to charge immediately, but at 40.75p / kWh I really don’t want it to be not “scheduled” by Intelligent, but no way to tell?!

Probably too late now but if you have done your test charge with Octopus (takes about 10 minutes) then, when you plug your car into the charger you will get a notification from the app with your charging schedule so you know if its charging at the correct times.

You have to let Octopus (and the app) control your charging, and basically leave your Ohme charger in 24/7 mode. Thats kind of the whole point of IO.

Probably too late now but if you have done your test charge with Octopus (takes about 10 minutes) then, when you plug your car into the charger you will get a notification from the app with your charging schedule so you know if its charging at the correct times.

You have to let Octopus (and the app) control your charging, and basically leave your Ohme charger in 24/7 mode. Thats kind of the whole point of IO.
They’re now directly integrated with the charger, and the charger is aware of Intelligent. So you no longer use the Octopus app if you have an Ohme charger and the charger app does it instead. I know this was different than before where it was the other way around.

I changed the target on the Ohme app to stop it starting the charge immediately and it’s been successfully cut off at 05:30am which would be the normal time Intelligent would shut down, so something is working. Just not sure of the behaviour of the desired SOC cannot be achieved by the desired time (eg does it work like the Tesla where it’ll bias to off peak but still charge on peak if it needs to to achieve the SOC, or was the Ohme actually scheduled onto additional cheap rates.

Welcome to IO. Octopus have done a blog post for Ohme integration

There's also a chap on the Octopus forums who is very active with Ohme. I think he knows one of the devs and beta tests for them.
1658125587212.png

I think one of the criticisms of the current Ohme integration is that there is currently no table of scheduled slots shown as there is in the main Octopus app.
1658125890541.png

Last edited:
regarding "green" - I always (more or less) struggle to understand their claim that it's the "greenest" when it's the night...
less wind, no solar and hydro storage is pumping up the hill...

I guess 'currently greenest'. Relies on stable baseline generation continuing throughout the night which is cheaper than ramping it down. Possibly that may change as we move to a higher proportion of renewables. Both energy storage sucking up excess overnight to balance down-days in renewable geeneration, and daytime generation being higher than demand due to over provisioning of generation (to allow for variability in sun/wind)

eventually a demand-side management system like octopus may have to be much more granular and 24hr?

I guess 'currently greenest'. Relies on stable baseline generation continuing throughout the night which is cheaper than ramping it down. Possibly that may change as we move to a higher proportion of renewables. Both energy storage sucking up excess overnight to balance down-days in renewable geeneration, and daytime generation being higher than demand due to over provisioning of generation (to allow for variability in sun/wind)

eventually a demand-side management system like octopus may have to be much more granular and 24hr?
well, in essence, nuclear might be it but... still, strange, as in high wind + solar times + high interconnector you might end up with very little fossil while it's not the case during night.

still interesting

Wow I really need to do my research before trying to be helpful lol - didn't realise the Ohme setup was totally different to the rest.

As for cheap window, happy days! I've been getting that quite regular. This morning infact I had 8-9 and also 10-11

Maybe its beneficial that i'm not getting home from work until 2/3 in the morning and need my car to be charged by midday?

What am I doing wrong here?
Last Friday I tried to use the smart charging. Opened the app, made sure the Smart Charging was enabled in the App. The charger was in "dumb mode (no schedules set). I had seen that the app had given me 2 Smart Charging periods, one in the off peak time and one hour from 5:50AM to 6:30. I plugged the car in at about 18:10 and walked away. 3 hours later I checked the Tesla app and found out that the car had been charging at peak rate from when I plugged it in. :mad:

I decided to try it again last night (the car was at about 45% SoC). The app offered me two periods- all of the off-peak and about an hour after. Plugged the car in at about 21:00 and again it immediately started to charge. I left it for a few minutes to see if it would settle down and stop charging, but it didn't- just continued to charge at 7kW. I manually stopped charging, set the schedule up on the Andersen to charge from 23:'30 and let it do it's own thing.

What am I doing wrong here? Why is it charging the car at peak rates as soon as the car is plugged in, rather than waiting for the off-peak periods that had been offered?

What am I doing wrong here?
Last Friday I tried to use the smart charging. Opened the app, made sure the Smart Charging was enabled in the App. The charger was in "dumb mode (no schedules set). I had seen that the app had given me 2 Smart Charging periods, one in the off peak time and one hour from 5:50AM to 6:30. I plugged the car in at about 18:10 and walked away. 3 hours later I checked the Tesla app and found out that the car had been charging at peak rate from when I plugged it in. :mad:

I decided to try it again last night (the car was at about 45% SoC). The app offered me two periods- all of the off-peak and about an hour after. Plugged the car in at about 21:00 and again it immediately started to charge. I left it for a few minutes to see if it would settle down and stop charging, but it didn't- just continued to charge at 7kW. I manually stopped charging, set the schedule up on the Andersen to charge from 23:'30 and let it do it's own thing.

What am I doing wrong here? Why is it charging the car at peak rates as soon as the car is plugged in, rather than waiting for the off-peak periods that had been offered?
If stuff is working properly, IO should detect you've plugged in then send a command signal via the API to the car to stop the charger (the same as what you're doing manually via the app, but remotely).

IME this can take anywhere between about 10-90 seconds. Occasionally on my account, I have seen that remote stop call fail/not happen too, but that is extremely infrequent.

I wouldn't want to speculate why your setup is doing this all the time, but:

1) do you ever have intermittent cellular or wifi issues at your home location?
2) I wonder if your geofenced location for home is slightly "off" and this is causing issues. Perhaps de-authorising your car in the app and re-running setup might help in this case to reset your home location.

Reactions: Zakalwe
1) do you ever have intermittent cellular or wifi issues at your home location?
2) I wonder if your geofenced location for home is slightly "off" and this is causing issues. Perhaps de-authorising your car in the app and re-running setup might help in this case to reset your home location.
Thanks for the reply!

1) Nope, got a great signal.
2) I think that this could be the issue. The Tesla sees my home location as being an address about 50 metres away. I've never been able to get it to see my actual home address correctly.

Reactions: exlatccatsa