Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of this sounds too good to be true.
There is one bug which hasn’t been squashed. If you have IO smart charging enabled in the Octopus app and the car is unplugged from your charger, IO queries the Tesla API and keeps the car awake, causing unnecessary battery drain.
It’s annoying, Octopus need to fix it, but the workaround is pretty simple: toggle smart-charging off in the Octopus app when your car is unplugged and you’re not scheduling a charge.
Thanks for the original post and this part in particular @browellm, it saved me a heap of time I would have wasted trying to identify phantom battery drain.

What @Zakalwe describes has ALWAYS happened at my house but nevertheless doesn't cause any issues when I do the following (at or after 5pm)...

• Enable Smart Charging via the Octopus app
  • Make sure the charger is 'dumb' (Zappi Fast mode)
  • Plug in, watch the charger start charging (peak rate) & then stop the charge via the Tesla app within 3 or 4 seconds
  • Check the Octopus app to see that a schedule has been set
....It then charges to schedule without problem (sometimes using slightly different time slots but always showing at the 5p rate on my Octopus bill)

I live in a city, 4g/5g & wifi are all very strong & my home location shows correctly so there is no apparent explanation for the charge continuing when plugged in unless manually stopped. Octopus have investigated this but cannot explain what might be the cause.

However it's a beta product & I have no problem with having to do this. As long as it works as planned then OK by me :D

I have just received my Go renewal quote, and also an invite to apply for Intellient.

If I renew Go it’ll move as of the renewal date (obviously).

If I apply for Intelligent, will it also start on that date or prior to that? If before, how long roughly does the move take? I’d like to do it as near to my renewal as possible to maximise the benefit of my current significantly cheaper tariff.

I have emailed Octopus to ask, but though some kind soul here might know.

Octopus still show this as a current tariff...anyone know anything about this? Seems excellent value but i fear this could just be an out-of-date tariff left on the website

1658393613526.png

What am I doing wrong here?
Last Friday I tried to use the smart charging. Opened the app, made sure the Smart Charging was enabled in the App. The charger was in "dumb mode (no schedules set). I had seen that the app had given me 2 Smart Charging periods, one in the off peak time and one hour from 5:50AM to 6:30. I plugged the car in at about 18:10 and walked away. 3 hours later I checked the Tesla app and found out that the car had been charging at peak rate from when I plugged it in. :mad:

I decided to try it again last night (the car was at about 45% SoC). The app offered me two periods- all of the off-peak and about an hour after. Plugged the car in at about 21:00 and again it immediately started to charge. I left it for a few minutes to see if it would settle down and stop charging, but it didn't- just continued to charge at 7kW. I manually stopped charging, set the schedule up on the Andersen to charge from 23:'30 and let it do it's own thing.

What am I doing wrong here? Why is it charging the car at peak rates as soon as the car is plugged in, rather than waiting for the off-peak periods that had been offered?

How is the app giving you charging slots before you plug in? I only ever get given charging slots after I've plugged in. This is how it works for me:
  • Arrive home and plug in immediately (even if it's before 5pm)
  • Check the Octopus app for charging slots
  • As soon as charging slots appear, the car stops charging.
  • Very occasionally, I don't get a charging slot and the car continues charging, so I stop it manually from the Tesla app, then if I close and terminate the Octopus app, and relaunch it, I get charging slots.
  • I then get on with my day and the next morning the car is a few % below where I set Octopus to, but that's fine with me, and I go on my merry way
Try plugging in when you arrive home, and if the charging doesn't stop itself within a couple of minutes, stop it from the Tesla app.
Check you have charging slots in the Octopus app
Wait and see if it charges overnight

How is the app giving you charging slots before you plug in? I only ever get given charging slots after I've plugged in. This is how it works for me:
  • Arrive home and plug in immediately (even if it's before 5pm)
  • Check the Octopus app for charging slots
  • As soon as charging slots appear, the car stops charging.
  • Very occasionally, I don't get a charging slot and the car continues charging, so I stop it manually from the Tesla app, then if I close and terminate the Octopus app, and relaunch it, I get charging slots.
  • I then get on with my day and the next morning the car is a few % below where I set Octopus to, but that's fine with me, and I go on my merry way
Try plugging in when you arrive home, and if the charging doesn't stop itself within a couple of minutes, stop it from the Tesla app.
Check you have charging slots in the Octopus app
Wait and see if it charges overnight
I noticed the "few % below" is only if I set the charge limit on the Octopus app anything other than 100% (i.e. 80% on the Octopus App and 80% on the tesla). If I set the limit to 100% on the Octopus app and 80% on Tesla, then I wake up with just 1% below the set rate, which is caused by the vampire drain.

Really, not sure i’m not too happy about giving Tesla any chance of crawling out of a warranty claim.
Tesla and Octopus are partnered with their Tesla battery. I doubt Tesla would have such a tight partnership and then not allow Octopus to access their API.

Based on my experience of buying a Tesla. No one tells the same story at Tesla. E.g., the MY doesn’t come with mudflat but does have a parcel shelf. Neither were right. We can’t tell you where it is. Next day it’s at the SC.

I’m sure it’s the same with the warranty claim stuff they probably don’t know about Octopus. I’m not worried about it can’t see how they could wiggle out of a claim when allowing access to their API with a company that they’ve publicly partnered with?

any help appreciated ! I have just received my charging schedule for tonight and it gives 3 slots that total 2 hours however my car requires 32% which I estimate would take around 3 hours - will IO just continue charging at the cheap rate until my limit is reached ?

any help appreciated ! I have just received my charging schedule for tonight and it gives 3 slots that total 2 hours however my car requires 32% which I estimate would take around 3 hours - will IO just continue charging at the cheap rate until my limit is reached ?
In the octopus app just change the charge limit and it will likely refresh and update the charge schedul. Happened to me a couple of times past week. I posted earlier in the week.