Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Err, nope. Its usually tailored to what you need to reach your desired state of charge. For me that is usually 90mins but occasionally 3-4 hours when I’ve driven to another office and the slots generally have gaps in them. Not once seen it just shrug it’s shoulders and give 30 minute slots for the entire off-peak period.
Yeah, yesterday it gave me a full 6hrs till 7am but reached the requested 80% at 4.30am and completed (again, happy it's all working and charging the car, but it was a bit odd, especially as the final slot was a huge 3-7am chunk...
I'm charging tonight to 100% for the first time, so I'll see how that goes!

Yeah, yesterday it gave me a full 6hrs till 7am but reached the requested 80% at 4.30am and completed (again, happy it's all working and charging the car, but it was a bit odd, especially as the final slot was a huge 3-7am chunk...
I'm charging tonight to 100% for the first time, so I'll see how that goes!
Sounds identical to mine (6hrs to 07.00 including 03.00-07.00) except SOC to 90% which was reached ~05.00

We're at the point in the year where I am starting to charge the car more regularly using IO (leaving reduced hours of solar generation to look after the house batteries).

By stopping charge within a few seconds via the Tesla app after plugging in, IO has worked correctly every time. The schedule is usually there within 30 minutes.

Reactions: Markee68
Hi
ive successfully migrated my electric to Octopus Intelligent,, what are the best options for my Gas with Octopus though? I seem to be on a legacy tariff with Octopus, called Flexible Avro October 2021v1, price is 7.34p/kWh and standing charge of 27.22p p/day. I cant seem to find any mention of the 'gas tracker' Ocotopus tariff anymore.

Hi
ive successfully migrated my electric to Octopus Intelligent,, what are the best options for my Gas with Octopus though? I seem to be on a legacy tariff with Octopus, called Flexible Avro October 2021v1, price is 7.34p/kWh and standing charge of 27.22p p/day. I cant seem to find any mention of the 'gas tracker' Ocotopus tariff anymore.
You have to ring up to get on the tracker. The current one is v3, capped at 10.99p, just above the gov cap of 10.34p, but of course tracker can go down.

7.34p is a decent rate though. I'd think very carefully before giving that up and jumping to tracker. It has been lower the last few days - around 8p/kWh, but it's frequently on hitting the cap.

Reactions: FatBarney
You have to ring up to get on the tracker. The current one is v3, capped at 10.99p, just above the gov cap of 10.34p, but of course tracker can go down.

7.34p is a decent rate though. I'd think very carefully before giving that up and jumping to tracker. It has been lower the last few days - around 8p/kWh, but it's frequently on hitting the cap.
thanks Browellm. on reading my own post a few minutes later, i realised you are totally right, 7.34p is dirty cheap!

This morning I plugged my Tesla in at 6am, when I got home from work and immediately stopped it charging in the Tesla app. I had no plans to use it today and assumed it would get a charging schedule after 5.30pm and charge overnight as usual, ready for tomorrow. I got up briefly at 8.30am and found it had charged for a bit (19kwh, around 2h40m of charging) and stopped again. I’ve not had a notification of a charging schedule and neither the car or the Wallbox have a schedule set. Will this be an off peak charge, started by IO? Is there any way of checking whether it’s been billed at peak or off peak?

Last edited:
I'm in two minds about whether to switch from Go to Intelligent. Currently charge MY every 5-6 days to top up from around 45% to 85% on Go 1230-430am. Have also switched the dishwasher and washing machine usage to the off peak times so currently approx 50% of electricity use is during Off Peak. Will only using Intelligent Octopus to charge the car every 5-6 days worth my while or is it still good to switch to capture potential off peak rates outside of the 1130-530AM now that we are heading into autumn/winter. My only gas usage is heating.

Has anyone found they are regularly getting cheaper off peak rates in the early evening before 1130pm ?

Reactions: rowedav
I am trying to perform a test charge before able to accept the T&C for Intelligent Octopus. I am using Andersen A2 charger. However the test charge keep failing. No specific error on screen. I understand I may need to disable the smart features in the Andersen A2 charger. Does anyone know how this can be done?

I am trying to perform a test charge before able to accept the T&C for Intelligent Octopus. I am using Andersen A2 charger. However the test charge keep failing. No specific error on screen. I understand I may need to disable the smart features in the Andersen A2 charger. Does anyone know how this can be done?
I’ve got the A2 as well mate and was thinking of going from Go to IO. Have you hd any luck with it?

I’ve got the A2 as well mate and was thinking of going from Go to IO. Have you hd any luck with it?
You could try and just disconnect the charger from the Wi-Fi / network.

Octopus works by asking the car to start/stop charge, so as long as the charger will give it power when it asks you should be good.
Eg put the charger in whatever mode it needs to be to give instant/fast charge.

Disclaimer: I have a zappi, so don’t know for sure if this works.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
You could try and just disconnect the charger from the Wi-Fi / network.

Octopus works by asking the car to start/stop charge, so as long as the charger will give it power when it asks you should be good.
Eg put the charger in whatever mode it needs to be to give instant/fast charge.

Disclaimer: I have a zappi, so don’t know for sure if this works.
Thing is, my A2 works absolutely fine with Go and has done from day one. I read a lot on here about people having issues with IO, charges starting and stopping etc. what I’m thinking, is it worth the chew on for an extra couple hours off peak, that I may or may not need.

Might be a daft question but here goes.... I just made the switch to Intelligent from Go on the app earlier today. Did the test charge and gave a schedule of 11pm to 6am My account is still showing as being on the Go tariff and not Intelligent. I'm guessing the account just needs to catch up on the system and that I'm actually going to get off peak rates from 11pm to 6am.

Thing is, my A2 works absolutely fine with Go and has done from day one. I read a lot on here about people having issues with IO, charges starting and stopping etc. what I’m thinking, is it worth the chew on for an extra couple hours off peak, that I may or may not need.
Your call. I decided I would switch to IO.

The car doesn’t really need the extra time, but the household can benefit slightly. Eg electric underfloor heating in the bathroom until 0530.

FWIW I’ve had zero issues with the car charging.

But Go is a 'dumb' scheme. IO won't play nicely with any smart stuff going on with the charger so you do need to disable it.

Might be a daft question but here goes.... I just made the switch to Intelligent from Go on the app earlier today. Did the test charge and gave a schedule of 11pm to 6am My account is still showing as being on the Go tariff and not Intelligent. I'm guessing the account just needs to catch up on the system and that I'm actually going to get off peak rates from 11pm to 6am.
It usually switches overnight. My test charge completed but it wasn't until the next day that the app showed the devices icon and the tariff took a bit of time to show up too.

In the Konnect+ app there don't seems to be a way to remove the WiFi setting. So I uninstall the app completely. Unplugged and plugged the charger back to the car. Press Start Charging from the car. This seems to work. But Octopus still failed to test charge. Given the car can draw power from the charger directly I suspect the issue is with Octopus. Will ring them tomorrow to check further.

In the Konnect+ app there don't seems to be a way to remove the WiFi setting. So I uninstall the app completely. Unplugged and plugged the charger back to the car. Press Start Charging from the car. This seems to work. But Octopus still failed to test charge. Given the car can draw power from the charger directly I suspect the issue is with Octopus. Will ring them tomorrow to check further.
Think I’m just gonna stay put with Go for the moment. I know it works perfect. Good luck getting sorted.

Reactions: Obie
But Go is a 'dumb' scheme. IO won't play nicely with any smart stuff going on with the charger so you do need to disable it.

It usually switches overnight. My test charge completed but it wasn't until the next day that the app showed the devices icon and the tariff took a bit of time to show up too.
Your call. I decided I would switch to IO.

The car doesn’t really need the extra time, but the household can benefit slightly. Eg electric underfloor heating in the bathroom until 0530.

FWIW I’ve had zero issues with the car charging.
Yeh I hear ya.

Reactions: Toblerone
Think I’m just gonna stay put with Go for the moment. I know it works perfect. Good luck getting sorted.
Has finally moved to Intelligent. I could complete a test charge as soon as they released the new tariff. A bit suspicious isn't it 😆? Anyway my IO tariff is now fixed to 15th Oct 2023 on the old rate of 7.5p. They also compensated for the trouble onboarding me as good will gesture. I can't fault their customer service.

Just a heads up for anyone with an Easee 7kw charger. When you setup IO DONT choose the Easee 22kw from the charger list, go for the generic 7kw charger. I originally setup with the 22kw Easee and had issues as the charging sessions were too short (as IO were expecting charging at 22kw).

I reached out to Octopus as they have a form to add non supported chargers to add the 7kw Easee and they responded saying just use the 7kw generic charger.

Posted in case this is helpful to anyone.