Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Active authorisation vs actual usage? ie. What maintains an active authorisation? What when car is changed (eg to different vehicle quite possibly without any IO controllability), is it possible to maintain an active authorisation and keep within the T&Cs?

In the app you have a device... car or charger (for most of us, it's car). If you go into your profiles and select devices and select Intelligent Octopus at the bottom are two two options, Reconnect Device and Disconnect Device... this is what that's referring to. If you Disconnect the main page devices button vanishes from the app leaving you with Home, Usage, and Bills. If you leave it in that state, then that's what they're referring to. You can still keep that authtorisation, but not have them control, by turning off Smart Charging directly below the Reconnect/Disconnect choices.

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger
In the app you have a device... car or charger (for most of us, it's car). If you go into your profiles and select devices and select Intelligent Octopus at the bottom are two two options, Reconnect Device and Disconnect Device... this is what that's referring to. If you Disconnect the main page devices button vanishes from the app leaving you with Home, Usage, and Bills. If you leave it in that state, then that's what they're referring to. You can still keep that authtorisation, but not have them control, by turning off Smart Charging directly below the Reconnect/Disconnect choices.

This sort of dicking around is what will be the end of this tariff, imo. But it is only an opinion.

Just use the tariff as intended.

Reactions: SteveJol and phil4
Erm. Go estimate quoted 20% more than the new default Flexible tariff.

You need to do your own maths to confirm that rather than rely on a generic projection from Octopus. My comment was aimed at the impression that you want your cake and eat it - you want the improved pricing of Intelligent, but you want to use it exactly how you use Go. You're not the only one to suggest this, but it does have a whiff of entitlement and selfishness about it.

The flexible on your renewal is presented differently. It's their calculations and you need to do your own as pointed out above. My renewal was the same as my annual usage was 8500 (twice the national 4200kW) and my off peak for 2022 was 82%, again almost double the average. My quote was £5 more for Go than Flexible in this instance 😂😂

Use IO like Go but let it schedule charges for you a couple of times a week when it's not urgent so the possibility of failure to charge (as mentioned on more than one occasion on this thread) doesn't hinder any urgent journey. You stick within the T&C's nicely and get min 6h off peak for everything else. THIS IS NOT GAMING THE SYSTEM.

It says in the app that you can switch it off when you're away. So I'm away currently, it's switched off in the app and my wife is home charging for the full off peak time as she would have done on Go previously. THIS IS NOT GAMING THE SYSTEM.

When I get home tomorrow night I'll start up the app again, get a scheduled charge (hopefully) and let it do it's thing on my car. I have a Tesla service appointment friday for headlight alignment so hopefully I'll have the juice to make it to the SC...😉

• Informative
Reactions: RedMod3
The flexible on your renewal is presented differently. It's their calculations and you need to do your own as pointed out above. My renewal was the same as my annual usage was 8500 (twice the national 4200kW) and my off peak for 2022 was 82%, again almost double the average. My quote was £5 more for Go than Flexible in this instance 😂😂

Use IO like Go but let it schedule charges for you a couple of times a week when it's not urgent so the possibility of failure to charge (as mentioned on more than one occasion on this thread) doesn't hinder any urgent journey. You stick within the T&C's nicely and get min 6h off peak for everything else. THIS IS NOT GAMING THE SYSTEM.

It says in the app that you can switch it off when you're away. So I'm away currently, it's switched off in the app and my wife is home charging for the full off peak time as she would have done on Go previously. THIS IS NOT GAMING THE SYSTEM.

When I get home tomorrow night I'll start up the app again, get a scheduled charge (hopefully) and let it do it's thing on my car. I have a Tesla service appointment friday for headlight alignment so hopefully I'll have the juice to make it to the SC...😉

Yes, I agree with that analysis, and I am about to switch to IO, I think.

I agree that letting Octopus charge your car when it suits them during the 6-hour window is fully compliant with the spirit and terms of conditions of IO.

Thank you

Reactions: ElectricPolice
IO has never let me down yet (13 months so far).

The only occasion I've set a scheduled charge rather than via IO was the night before a lengthy journey and forgot to top up the previous day (I didn't want to risk that being the only time it failed). From next month I expect to revert to mostly charging via solar but will still use IO at least once per month to keep within the terms & also the spirit of the tariff.

No point sticking with Go. Its more expensive than the default Flexible according to Octopus.

And just wanting clarification of a scenario that will happen later this year is hardly overthinking. Just thought that someone with hands on experience would enlighten me with what is involved with maintaining an authorisation.
at current prices you have to be using 25% off peak for Go to be cheaper which for most people is often as little as 5 hours charging a week so if you are doing more than that then this sounds odd.
Prepared to post the email they sent? This is mine. Total nonsense because they have not allowed for the off peak periods being different in my case.
The reality is Go would be over £1000 LESS than flexible for me
Screenshot_20230201_171615_Gmail.jpg

at current prices you have to be using 25% off peak for Go to be cheaper which for most people is often as little as 5 hours charging a week so if you are doing more than that then this sounds odd.
Prepared to post the email they sent? This is mine. Total nonsense because they have not allowed for the off peak periods being different in my case.
View attachment 902072

Agree, we must all totally ignore Octopus's calculations and do our own. My GO calculation of £2,601 is wrong, it is really about £1,200.

Here is mine, I've an invite for IO, which I will take.

1675276479320.png

Ouch, that's eye watering... ours is almost a quarter of that.
1675278736151.png

In typical Octopus style, they are not comparing like with like. Maybe in their defence, they have to do it this way but it would help be a bit more transparent if they also used future estimates based on last period actuals.

Future estimate "This quote is based on the industry estimate for your home (2,498 kWh)." vs historical "We've based your estimate on your historical half-hourly usage pattern - that's 2,005 kWh during Octopus Go peak times and 1,855 kWh during Octopus Go off-peak times."

I suspect the historical estimate is based on actuals (quick calcs within a few £), but they haven't used the same numbers for the future cost estimates.

Using historical numbers, I get £1321 Flexible (+156 standing charge) = £1477 vs £222 + £869 (= 1091) (+156 standing charge) = £1247

So as you say, not what the email implies and Go is actually cheaper. On same pattern, IO would be £37 cheaper than Go without taking into consideration the extra 2 hours on IO so IO would actually be a bit more of a saving. No matter what though, its at least a 50% increase and thats on top of the significant increase from last year. Thankfully we are pretty good electricity wise, plus aided by solar and additional FiT offset by around £700/year. Gas will be a big one though later in the year.

Is that the same with you @Jason71 ? Historical actuals vs industry estimate for future? Your increase will be even more eye watering as iirc you escaped last years cost increase?

Glad I took this opportunity to look at the numbers a bit more closely.

You need to do your own maths to confirm that rather than rely on a generic projection from Octopus. My comment was aimed at the impression that you want your cake and eat it - you want the improved pricing of Intelligent, but you want to use it exactly how you use Go. You're not the only one to suggest this, but it does have a whiff of entitlement and selfishness about it.

What’s entitled about wanting to know what might happen when our circumstances change. We have no idea when/if that will happen as we have a non Tesla EV on order and due to supply fluctuations no idea when it may be delivered or whether it will even work with IO. Or even if we stick with that plan and do something else.

It’s not entitlement, just wanting to know what might happen in the future and looking at planning/options for that when our Octopus Go runs out in a month.

Sorry if you think that wanting to know how things work and planning for future options is wrong.

Related to this thread but not strictly so … I’ve just come off my GoFaster Tariff as the fix came to an end (gutted as I was in a great rate!) . The only two options they would give me was the standard Go or the Flexible tariff …. Both projections looked to be the same but the Go timings were terrible at 12.30am to 4.30am.
Because of this I’ve opted for the flexible tariff, but not sure if I’ve done the right thing

Use the octopus compare app and then it will give you projections on both for your historic usage.

Only problem was my initial flexible had a day and night rate. This wasn’t picked up in the app for comparison purposes. I assume it was 7h (midnight until 7am). They’re not very transparent about the timings as I couldn’t find this anywhere. Even Mr Google had a few differing opinions.

Ultimately, if you time shift moderately- massively Go should always win.

Some of the original go faster tariffs were considerably more sociable hours, although most on here I guess got used to the 4h graveyard slot on the vanilla Go

You should be able to choose IO still🤷🏽‍♂️

I've now used IO to charge my new Tesla for 3-4 times.

Last two times, the allocated time slot completed at 06.00 and both times the SOC was 95/96% (instead of 100%). I am choosing 100% as I have the M3 RWD which has the LFP battery.

Why it doesn't reach 100%?

My guess is that when setting up IO, I've chosen as model the M3 Standard Range Plus LFP which probably has slightly smaller battery than the M3 RWD 2023. The M3 RWD is not available when setting up IO.

What do I need to do about this? Should I set it up as M3 LR so that it'll give me slightly longer charge period and allow to reach 100%?

Related to this thread but not strictly so … I’ve just come off my GoFaster Tariff as the fix came to an end (gutted as I was in a great rate!) . The only two options they would give me was the standard Go or the Flexible tariff.
IO is a beta tarrif, so they probably won't offer it in an email etc. However if you go here: Intelligent Octopus and click sign me up, you should be able to join it easily enough.

As stated above, it wins out when either you're doing a lot of charging, and/or you can shift a fair bit of usage (eg. dishwasher, washing machine etc).