Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Related to this thread but not strictly so … I’ve just come off my GoFaster Tariff as the fix came to an end (gutted as I was in a great rate!) . The only two options they would give me was the standard Go or the Flexible tariff …. Both projections looked to be the same but the Go timings were terrible at 12.30am to 4.30am.
Because of this I’ve opted for the flexible tariff, but not sure if I’ve done the right thing
if you have an EV probably not. Go will be substantially cheaper for me.
what is wrong with 00:30 - 4:30 do you do a lot of driving at that time?

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricPolice
if you have an EV probably not. Go will be substantially cheaper for me.
what is wrong with 00:30 - 4:30 do you do a lot of driving at that time?
It’s more that, at the moment and until September most of my charging will be done at work , because I’m lucky enough for it to be free. This means that the lower rate was going to be used for the home appliances really (I know that’s not the point before anyone starts lol). So I think financially the Flex one might be cheaper and certainly more convenient for what will be the temporary usage. Also, the naive person in me is hoping that the prices might stabilise a bit towards the end of the year and I can then switch to something else ?!?

It’s more that, at the moment and until September most of my charging will be done at work , because I’m lucky enough for it to be free. This means that the lower rate was going to be used for the home appliances really (I know that’s not the point before anyone starts lol). So I think financially the Flex one might be cheaper and certainly more convenient for what will be the temporary usage. Also, the naive person in me is hoping that the prices might stabilise a bit towards the end of the year and I can then switch to something else ?!?
if you aren't charging at home then you are probably right. would be very hard to make Go or IO make financial sense right now

Reactions: WllXM
if you aren't charging at home then you are probably right. would be very hard to make Go or IO make financial sense right now
Agile, however can be a good deal if you have the ability to load shift and keep a very very close watch on it (You can create IFTTT routines for that).

At times (not often) you can even be paid to charge your EV at home, watch out for those negative pricing hours!

Quick IO report after my first proper night of use to see what it does…

Arrived home Thursday with 7% and plugged in, car set to start charging at 11:30 so no immediate charge. Bonus!

Set an IO charge for 90% by 09:00 the following day (Normally on Go this would be a 3 night event to get 83% charge) and waited to see what sort of schedule would be set?

Anyhow a schedule appeared as attached…
885681D6-062D-41F4-9D48-1415F689D91B.jpeg
So I therefore changed my car start time to 23:00 to match and not cause a conflict. 10h of charging planned👍👍👍

Had no idea what to expect but it did it’s thing and charged right through. How this is viable for Octopus I don’t know, but according to the OP’s multiple posts smart schedule = off peak rate. So I’m expecting all this to be at 10p. I will have to wait for my bill to see what has actually happened as I don’t know another way to get a live pricing?

As it happened I got nervous at 7am and stopped it in the car as it was depleting my house battery and I knew it was going to be a dull day. I then forgot about it and when checked an hour later it was continuing to charge and house battery down to 20%. So much for that idea. Next time I’ll try and reduce the charge state to so it doesn’t restart 🤞.

If this is what it does then definitely a no brainer as to get a full charge overnight is impressive. It meant that last night I switched Smart charging off and plugged the wife’s Y in for 6h straight = 54% uplift from a 23:30 start time👍

It did mean that my total grid use for yesterday exceeded the 100kW for the first time though…😱

Reactions: browellm
As it happened I got nervous at 7am and stopped it in the car as it was depleting my house battery and I knew it was going to be a dull day. I then forgot about it and when checked an hour later it was continuing to charge and house battery down to 20%. So much for that idea. Next time I’ll try and reduce the charge state to so it doesn’t restart 🤞.
I had a similar problem so I set my house battery charging period to 11.30 - 05.30. Although it doesn't need that much time, it stops the battery delivering any power in that period. I then set the departure time on the Octopus app to 05.30 so car charging stops at that time too.

I appreciate that doesn't get you the extended period you needed but guess you would have had to re-set the house battery charging period to continue to 09.00 on that particular occasion.

I had a similar problem so I set my house battery charging period to 11.30 - 05.30. Although it doesn't need that much time, it stops the battery delivering any power in that period. I then set the departure time on the Octopus app to 05.30 so car charging stops at that time too.

I appreciate that doesn't get you the extended period you needed but guess you would have had to re-set the house battery charging period to continue to 09.00 on that particular occasion.
Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to see we're on the same page, and I'm doing something right.

It's unlikely I'll be charging that much again as usually I have the time to split over a couple of nights but it's good to know it'll give this option and if needed I'll set a later battery charge when I do. Once I'm convinced it's at off peak rates that is?

Fortunately with summer coming, overnight house battery charges should be reduced as it'll begin topping up earlier with our amazing British weather...

IO convert so far.

Reactions: Astrape
Quick IO report after my first proper night of use to see what it does…

Arrived home Thursday with 7% and plugged in, car set to start charging at 11:30 so no immediate charge. Bonus!

Set an IO charge for 90% by 09:00 the following day (Normally on Go this would be a 3 night event to get 83% charge) and waited to see what sort of schedule would be set?

Anyhow a schedule appeared as attached…View attachment 903129So I therefore changed my car start time to 23:00 to match and not cause a conflict. 10h of charging planned👍👍👍

Had no idea what to expect but it did it’s thing and charged right through. How this is viable for Octopus I don’t know, but according to the OP’s multiple posts smart schedule = off peak rate. So I’m expecting all this to be at 10p. I will have to wait for my bill to see what has actually happened as I don’t know another way to get a live pricing?

If this is what it does then definitely a no brainer as to get a full charge overnight is impressive. It meant that last night I switched Smart charging off and plugged the wife’s Y in for 6h straight = 54% uplift from a 23:30 start time👍

It did mean that my total grid use for yesterday exceeded the 100kW for the first time though…😱
Nice. What battery do you have? There are various solutions to house battery drain. Some are software based which I use with my GivEnergy, others involve wiring config so the house battery doesn't see the EVSE load or the CT clamp arrangement, neither of which I have experience with but I am told can work.

Unfortunately if you have a Powerwall, it's not that straightforward. I haven't read about anyone with a solution for that yet.

Nice. What battery do you have? There are various solutions to house battery drain. Some are software based which I use with my GivEnergy, others involve wiring config so the house battery doesn't see the EVSE load or the CT clamp arrangement, neither of which I have experience with but I am told can work.

Unfortunately if you have a Powerwall, it's not that straightforward. I haven't read about anyone with a solution for that yet.
I've got a FoxESS hybrid inverter system with 13kW of battery (5x 2.6kW).

It runs simply to provide the first 3.68kW of all house usage no matter what that is, anything else above that it takes from the grid. The only time I'm usually up on the deal is when the solar is grabbing over 4kW then the battery will charge at its max and the house uses the extra.

Currently house is taking 15W from the grid, which is my tick over to power the inverter I guess, whereas the house idles between 350-500W drawing from the battery and the measly 240W from the sun at present.

Love my set up, and to be honest although I did consider a possible bypass option, I'm not fussed. The extra cost isn't worth it for me to explore further as I'm quite prepared to tweak as necessary.

Cheers
IMG_0672.PNG

Reactions: browellm

First post but have been reading this thread for a while.
I have givenergy batteries and after a few issues with charging and blowing fuses (overloading the house ) I’ve been using intelligent for the last 3 weeks.
Im still not sure if I’ll be charged off peak rates for charging schedule outside the guaranteed 6 hours as I haven’t had a bill since I worked out how to use the app. The givenergy webpage shows my usage and daily cost and I am assuming uses the smart meter data to work out usage. But the half hourly rate shows the standard rates 23:30-05;30 off peak and the rest peak hours.
I’ll get my bill this week so will find out but I wondered if your givenergy webpage shows if you have been given an off leak rate outside the set off peak hours?
Hope that all makes sense?

First post but have been reading this thread for a while.
I have givenergy batteries and after a few issues with charging and blowing fuses (overloading the house ) I’ve been using intelligent for the last 3 weeks.
Im still not sure if I’ll be charged off peak rates for charging schedule outside the guaranteed 6 hours as I haven’t had a bill since I worked out how to use the app. The givenergy webpage shows my usage and daily cost and I am assuming uses the smart meter data to work out usage. But the half hourly rate shows the standard rates 23:30-05;30 off peak and the rest peak hours.
I’ll get my bill this week so will find out but I wondered if your givenergy webpage shows if you have been given an off leak rate outside the set off peak hours?
Hope that all makes sense?
When IO gives (and keeps) a schedule which includes any slots outside of 23.30-05.30 then your Octopus bill will show these at the lower rate by daily 30 minute readings including visual representations by graph.

Things like the In Home Display & apps such as Octopus Compare or battery monitoring would struggle to keep up with the variability so will only report the fixed 6/18 hours correctly, therefore implying that any additional slots are at peak rate - which they won't be.

Only rely on the Octopus bill for true accuracy.

’ll get my bill this week so will find out but I wondered if your givenergy webpage shows if you have been given an off leak rate outside the set off peak hours?
No, the IO tariff doesn't report extra slots is schedules outside of the fixed period, so comparison tools like Octopus Watch aren't accurate either. The only way to do it would be to locally log the GraphQL API planned dispatches, or wait for your bill.

I've got a FoxESS hybrid inverter system with 13kW of battery (5x 2.6kW).

It runs simply to provide the first 3.68kW of all house usage no matter what that is, anything else above that it takes from the grid. The only time I'm usually up on the deal is when the solar is grabbing over 4kW then the battery will charge at its max and the house uses the extra.
Mine is a similar setup - 3 kWp solar, Solis inverter and 7.2 kWh Pylontech batteries. Runs on the basis of any demand provided for by solar first, then battery then from the grid. Any changes to that and charging times etc have to be input directly onto the inverter as the software is pretty much 'read only'.

I had been wondering what to do in the summer; whether to set the battery to charge to less than 100% overnight given the fact the solar can easily fill the battery on a good day, but I suspect I'll leave it as it stands. The reason for this is that I'm only saving a maximum of 72p if I don't charge the battery at all overnight, but risk £2.95 (7.2 x 41p) if the weather is dreadful.

My only other 'refinement' is that if on a very sunny day we are exporting too much to the grid, I'll plug my wife's car in on the granny charger and direct any excess that way. (I appreciate a Givvi charger can do this automatically, but ours isn't that sophisticated)

At this stage I haven't got round to applying for the 4p export tariff and not sure I'll ever bother while the rate is so low. (Threw away £10.36 last year on that basis, mind, so may have to get my finger out)

When IO gives (and keeps) a schedule which includes any slots outside of 23.30-05.30 then your Octopus bill will show these at the lower rate by daily 30 minute readings including visual representations by graph.
Are you saying that any controlled charge that is longer than 6 hours is still at the lower rate? Ie in the example above, 4 hours spread over 23:00-23:30 and 05:30-09:00 are priced the same as the guaranteed 6 hour 23:30-05:30?

I had assumed that if they bumped some of the charge outside the 6 hour window due to external influence such as demand, carbon etc they would still give you 6 hours at cheaper rate, but this is a 10 hour charge. ie you would get up to 6 hours controlled charge at cheap rate but anything extra would be at standard rate.

Just trying to get my head around as we charge at 10A so pretty much always limited (by choice) by the current 4 hour Go window. Very rarely charge to go somewhere by a certain time, usually it’s recovering from an earlier drive (need a minimum range in car for emergency dashs’)

Last edited:
Are you saying that any controlled charge that is longer than 6 hours is still at the lower rate? Ie in the example above, 4 hours spread over 23:00-23:30 and 05:30-09:00 are priced the same as the guaranteed 6 hour 23:30-05:30?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.

we charge at 10A
Ensure you choose "Generic 2.3kW charger" when you onboard, so that IO sets the correct schedule for the % you require.

I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

So sounds like the sometimes is an always?

I've dealt with Octopus long enough to see their words not match reality and know that when something looks too good to be true, it normally isn't. Scheduling a charge that on 10A may easily take best part of a day, I see it as too good to be true that it will give me whole house rate at cheap rate for the whole time period.

Whilst things may be obvious when you know how they work, its not the case for those wanting to find out how something works and are not familiar with the product especially when FAQ's and T&C's etc contain ambiguous statements such as 'it sometimes creates schedules that...'