Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 100A fuse with PWs, heat pumps and immersion, and I too am very near the 100A limit; I will try and keep below 95A. but it is hard. I may reconfigure my Tesla charger to only charge at 16A.
I was pulling 21000w on the 60 amp fuse when it blew. ( fuse was hidden by building work by previous owner and Nat grid initially couldn’t find it. There was an 80amp fuse next to meter)
Doing a bit of research shows you can overload the fuse by approx 50%, however having had no power and the issues it caused by blowing the fuse, I am not keen to go over the 19400w (80amp) limit if I can help it.
Plus the cold weather makes the pumps work a fair bit harder over night.
Spreading the load would certainly help, it seems IO is more than happy to charge outside the off peak window from my experience so far.
I also had an issue at a free charger and it kept stop starting. It was about 4 miles from my house but it would charge for 10 mins then stop.
I cannot remember if I had disabled IO smart charge but I thought it was my ev.energy app charger that was causing the problems and I hit them to remove both cars off the app but the Tesla still had issues at the free charger the etron didn’t.
I’m thinking it was IO related

Hopefully IO support’s an easy to use ‘off peak only’/6hour charge regime that is a very common use case and not just their ‘car needs to be charged to x% by a certain time’ method which is very arbitrary if not using the car on a regular basis. Still looking for answers to that one and would apply to many doing 32A charging too.
There's Go at 4 hours. Or E7 for 7 hours.

Last edited:
i assume IO is happy with that.
I needed the car at 6am this morning with 100% battery, when i went to bed the car was at 165 miles charging at 16 amps , I woke up at 3am and it wasn’t charging and at 170miles. 3 hrs at 32 amps would get me to 100% but would put me over 21kw, which on an 80amp fuwe makes me a bit jittery.
You don't need to "assume" anything. Octopus creates the schedule and that's that.

You need to ensure at the onboarding you tell IO the correct charger you're using. It will assume you're going to use that charger at full chat e.g. dedicated EVSE - 32A. If you intended to curtail the current from your EVSE, IO won't know this and the schedule it creates won't get you to the charge % you asked for.

You don't need to "assume" anything. Octopus creates the schedule and that's that.

You need to ensure at the onboarding you tell IO the correct charger you're using. It will assume you're going to use that charger at full chat e.g. dedicated EVSE - 32A. If you intended to curtail the current from your EVSE, IO won't know this and the schedule it creates won't get you to the charge % you asked for.
Thanks browellm.
when I set it up I halved the charger speed as I thought I wouldn’t be using it at 32amps due to the issues I’ve mentioned.
So if I reduce the amps further, when charging, that will be why I don’t reach my SOC.
its rare I need 100% so normally not an issue and I use the granny charger with the E-tron between 23:30-05:30

Thanks browellm.
when I set it up I halved the charger speed as I thought I wouldn’t be using it at 32amps due to the issues I’ve mentioned.
So if I reduce the amps further, when charging, that will be why I don’t reach my SOC.
its rare I need 100% so normally not an issue and I use the granny charger with the E-tron between 23:30-05:30
You should be able to re-do the onboarding and pick a different charger. Although it's been a while, I'm pretty certain there are some generic charger options (and generic will work just fine) that cover 2.3kW, 3.4kW and 7kW. You'll want the 3.4kW option. This should sort out the schedule and get you to your target % when you expect it to.

Reactions: Yuff
3 hrs at 32 amps would get me to 100% but would put me over 21kw, which on an 80amp fuwe makes me a bit jittery.

I have a 100A fuse with PWs, heat pumps and immersion, and I too am very near the 100A limit; I will try and keep below 95A. but it is hard. I may reconfigure my Tesla charger to only charge at 16A.

In these cases current limiting of the supply by the charger is a good option.

My supply Is 100A but I might have 15kW of night storage heating and 7kW of charger on at 11:30 and go for an electric shower.

The Zappi measures the current drawn at the meter with a current transformer and keeps the charger current matched to the 100A supply capability. This load management is going to be necessary in some cases.

When the electric shower goes off the charger will go back to full output. Similarly the night storage heaters go off once they have their required thermal charge, allowing the charger to give full output even if some other demand is in use. Using the load management means the charger doesnt have to be set constantly to a lower current, and can make better use of the slots.

Reactions: ringi
In these cases current limiting of the supply by the charger is a good option.

My supply Is 100A but I might have 15kW of night storage heating and 7kW of charger on at 11:30 and go for an electric shower.

The Zappi measures the current drawn at the meter with a current transformer and keeps the charger current matched to the 100A supply capability. This load management is going to be necessary in some cases.

When the electric shower goes off the charger will go back to full output. Similarly the night storage heaters go off once they have their required thermal charge, allowing the charger to give full output even if some other demand is in use. Using the load management means the charger doesnt have to be set constantly to a lower current, and can make better use of the slots.
We had thermostatically controlled storage heaters, but we ripped them out and had air-air sounced heat pumps fitted to keep us warm in winter and cool in summer. They work well. We use the hot water from the immersion tank that is heated during the GO period. I just have a Tesla dumb charger but also a SyncEV 7.4kW charger so may restrict the Tesla to 16A and keep the SyncEV at 32A, it's nice to have a choice.

Reactions: Yuff
We had thermostatically controlled storage heaters, but we ripped them out and had air-air sounced heat pumps fitted to keep us warm in winter and cool in summer. They work well. We use the hot water from the immersion tank that is heated during the GO period. I just have a Tesla dumb charger but also a SyncEV 7.4kW charger so may restrict the Tesla to 16A and keep the SyncEV at 32A, it's nice to have a choice.
Which radiators did you go for?
I have just had Jaga Strada ones delivered( on Friday” plumber needs to swap the existing radiators) but waiting for the hybrid fans. I ordered the TRV’s with the cooling function.

Which radiators did you go for?
I have just had Jaga Strada ones delivered( on Friday” plumber needs to swap the existing radiators) but waiting for the hybrid fans. I ordered the TRV’s with the cooling function.
errr.......no radiators. We went for air-air sourced heat pumps that give us cooling, like air-con in summer. It sounds like you have gone to an air-water heat pump that is less responsive. We have ceiling vents in the halls and lounge, and not having radiators saves on space and water pipes.

• Love
Reactions: Yuff, PITA and goRt
You should be able to re-do the onboarding and pick a different charger. Although it's been a while, I'm pretty certain there are some generic charger options (and generic will work just fine) that cover 2.3kW, 3.4kW and 7kW. You'll want the 3.4kW option. This should sort out the schedule and get you to your target % when you expect it to.
Got my bill yesterday, all worked as you said it would ;)
thanks for all your help and for starting this thread 👍

• Love
Reactions: browellm
Having spoken direct with Octopus, they have answered my queries.

Direct from Octopus. "Intelligent Octopus is a better Go. It is effectively Go+. Everything you can do in Go, you can do on Intelligent. Go [will go as it is effectively a legacy tariff] will be replaced by Intelligent Octopus at some point."

As for my use case about getting the full 6 hours charge in the car and not having any concept of needing a car at a certain capacity by a certain time. He said that in the app, if you set the car to say 100%, the app will interrogate the car and find out if that limit is achievable. And the missing piece of the jigsaw. If it would not be possible to achieve that charge limit, the app would tell you and charge would stop at the end of off peak charge window, leaving you not having reached the requested charge limit, not not using any peak rate either. However, it would give you the opportunity to override and to reach the specified charge limit, in which case, the part of the controlled charge that falls outside the 6 hour limit would be charged at the prevailing (ie peak) rate. This perfectly meets my needs.

The other question was about signing up for Intelligent early before my current fixed deal finished. He said that I should not be swapped to a more expensive tariff (ie Intelligent) ahead of the end of my fixed term. But did say that it was possible that this might happen which if it did, email/phone them and they will revert the switchover date to the end of the current fixed term.

So by what was said, sounds like for our use cases, with a slow 10A charger, Intelligent Octopus will indeed work better than Go as I would no longer have to run an automated charge stop at end of off peak as I do with Go and I would get an extra couple of hours off peak.

What I forgot to ask is what happens to the last selected charge plan if I keep the car plugged in over several days? Does it get used the next night or do I need to create another? One of the reasons for moving to the automated hard stop at end of off peak was forgetting to calculate and bump the charge limit each night to keep approx within the 4 hour window so missing the charge.

Having spoken direct with Octopus, they have answered my queries.

He said that in the app, if you set the car to say 100%, the app will interrogate the car and find out if that limit is achievable. And the missing piece of the jigsaw. If it would not be possible to achieve that charge limit, the app would tell you and charge would stop at the end of off peak charge window,

Nope, he either doesn't know what he's talking about, or they've got some future plans to change it and that's what he's telling you, because that's defo not what happens at the moment. You set the app to 100%, and the car to 90%, and it'll merrily assign slots into peak times to try and hit it. It clearly won't hit 100%, and will stop charging at 90%, but you will get billed at cheap for any slots it setup, regardless of whether your car has stopped charging then. Why do I know this? Because it was one of the many experiments I tried, and diligently noted slots, and checked bills. It may all change soon, but that's not how it's been working so far.

Reactions: Rooster6655
They've slowed down the API polling in order to stop the previous issues with the car being kept awake when not plugged in. Unfortunately this has sent things the other way with the car slow to stop charging when first plugged in and it taking a bit longer for schedules to be calculated. Best bet is carry on doing what you're doing - manually stop the charge just after you plug in. You'll still get a schedule but it can take a few hours to come up.
What’s the least I have to do to stop the IO app polling the car and waking it up while parked at the airport for a week? Options seem to be:
  • In app, Accounts and Settings, Devices, Smart Charging button (says Disable IO from controlling your device). The device is the car, not the charger.
  • On same page of app, Disconnect Device
  • Change Tesla account password.
Thanks in advance

What I forgot to ask is what happens to the last selected charge plan if I keep the car plugged in over several days? Does it get used the next night or do I need to create another? One of the reasons for moving to the automated hard stop at end of off peak was forgetting to calculate and bump the charge limit each night to keep approx within the 4 hour window so missing the charge.
It recalculates the charge plan every day even if the car is already full.. I've done that where I've left the car plugged in after a charge for a few days and each day it's allocated slots but of course not used them because there's nothing to charge.. It's not something you need to worry about though, it's just a quirk of the system they use.

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger
Deary me, just tried signing up and I can't link my Tesla account because I have two cars linked to my account. Surely I should be able to pick which car I want to use?
Exactly what happened to me. You need to make a choice which car you want to be on the system? Only allowed one like the T&C's state as you know.

I deleted the wife's car from my app by selecting the remove my access button at the bottom.

IO then set up and ran fine on my car with my first overnight schedule (10h as quoted in my previous post!!)

Next day I reinstated her car in my app, going through the process from her app to allow me as a driver (as I forgot how this was done first of all).

Tesla App works as before, I can see and control both cars (climate, charge limit, scheduling etc)

For her car I just switch off smart charging in the Octopus app and behave as I used to on Go when charging her car. 6h is lovely and good for 180 miles!!

When I plug mine in I schedule an IO charge and everyone's happy. Happens at least twice a week.

When complete I turn IO off again so it becomes a dumb charging point for anyone to use.

It also means she can plug in and charge exactly as she did previously without any need for me to present or do anything as she doesn't have (or need/want) the Octopus app.

Job done!!