Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
I calculated that if you have a house base load of 400W, then having 2 extra hours of off-peak (assuming 7.5p vs 37.5p) would save you around 24p a day (your standing charge) or around £90/y.

That's if you shifted absolutely no other use into those two hours.

Reactions: Mrklaw
Strangely IO has always* started a full 7kWh charge which doesn't stop when I plug in (Zappi Fast mode, no scheduling on the car or the charger, IO already enabled in the app). On any occasion I've tried for up to 5 minutes it still kept charging, however that isn't a real issue for me as I immediately stop the charge via the Tesla app with IO then scheduling & charging correctly every time.

Octopus and Myenergi (Zappi) have looked into it several times, all software/firmware etc up to date but the same will happen regardless of Tesla updates, resets, reboots etc.

Tesla's helpful input was to tell me that I must not give access to my car to any third party under any circumstances. This can invalidate the warranty and although Tesla are aware of various apps that use API tokens, be prepared for them to shut this loophole down at any time in the future (...that response did not surprise me).

*since Jan 7th 2022
Strangely IO has always* started a full 7kWh charge which doesn't stop when I plug in (Zappi Fast mode, no scheduling on the car or the charger, IO already enabled in the app). On any occasion I've tried for up to 5 minutes it still kept charging, however that isn't a real issue for me as I immediately stop the charge via the Tesla app with IO then scheduling & charging correctly every time.

Octopus and Myenergi (Zappi) have looked into it several times, all software/firmware etc up to date but the same will happen regardless of Tesla updates, resets, reboots etc.

Tesla's helpful input was to tell me that I must not give access to my car to any third party under any circumstances. This can invalidate the warranty and although Tesla are aware of various apps that use API tokens, be prepared for them to shut this loophole down at any time in the future (...that response did not surprise me).

*since Jan 7th 2022
Really, not sure i’m not too happy about giving Tesla any chance of crawling out of a warranty claim.

Perfect timing @browellm . I'm in the process of switching from Go.
Im struggling to understand how IO contacts my Tesla M3? I haven't given out any Tesla details? I've dumbed down my Ohme charger and signed out of the app and am in the process of trying to get a test charge. But all I get is the "oops there us a problem "
I think I've come to the conclusion that it may be the difference in addresses between where the Tesla says it is and my home address (next door). I've asked for Google to correct it, but how long that will take to work its way through to Tesla maps..

Reactions: browellm
I feel like this point is understated. If an owner isn't actively managing the IO app (enabling and disabling every time they charge), the amount of wasted energy can be on the order of several kWh per car, per day.

It's clear that the battery drain only occurs when you're at home, and unplugged.

I've never really understood the concept of not plugging in when you're at home. It takes so little time, probably about the same as disabling the smart charging in the app, so why not just plug in every time. I plug in even if I've only been a few miles down the road and back.

Once you're plugged in at home, there's no battery drain. And if you're not at home and unplugged, again there's no battery drain.

Reactions: Pete UK
I think I've come to the conclusion that it may be the difference in addresses between where the Tesla says it is and my home address (next door). I've asked for Google to correct it, but how long that will take to work its way through to Tesla maps..
I have the same problem with location. Mine doesn’t exist. In my garage, the car is next door to the right and outside it’s next door but one to the left.
my neighbour to my left doesn’t exist either!
I’ve asked both Apple and Google to correct the problem twice in the last 6 months. Nothing yet!

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I've had a reply from Google that its been done and it now shows correctly when I open Google maps. That only took 4 days, it might be worth trying again? Our house is No.4 our garage is No. 16 :) according to them.. I'll have to get that fixed next.

It's clear that the battery drain only occurs when you're at home, and unplugged.

I've never really understood the concept of not plugging in when you're at home. It takes so little time, probably about the same as disabling the smart charging in the app, so why not just plug in every time. I plug in even if I've only been a few miles down the road and back.

Once you're plugged in at home, there's no battery drain. And if you're not at home and unplugged, again there's no battery drain.

Just a few weeks ago there was a gent whose Octopus account was draining his Tesla battery while he was parked at the airport.

Aside from the buggy interface wasting energy, there is exactly zero chance that I would give my energy company the credentials to my Tesla account.

We’re the same. We currently shift around 50% of our energy usage to the 4 hour off-peak Go period so the only benefit would be the occasional extra evening off-peak slots. The downside would be having to more actively monitor everything and the WAF would be way down.
it depends, I suppose.

On LR model 1 hr @ 7kw charger charges 9 %. if 4 hrs - max 36% can be charged per 1 4 hr period.

I can get 25% to 90% during single night charging :/ since it starts, quite often, at like 9 pm or so.

Perfect timing @browellm . I'm in the process of switching from Go.
Im struggling to understand how IO contacts my Tesla M3? I haven't given out any Tesla details? I've dumbed down my Ohme charger and signed out of the app and am in the process of trying to get a test charge. But all I get is the "oops there us a problem "
When signing on to IO, you give access permissions to your tesla account. it connects to your car via API you gave the access.
it does not require any of address

No. Batterry drain as EVERYWHERE as long as car is not plugged, up to 5% per 24 hrs.

in short - I already learned to switch off IO once I left home and I know that I will have long trip + parked for long time

Just a few weeks ago there was a gent whose Octopus account was draining his Tesla battery while he was parked at the airport.

Aside from the buggy interface wasting energy, there is exactly zero chance that I would give my energy company the credentials to my Tesla account.
welp, you give it to google and others already, so where's the problem? what will it do on the API level? drain your credit card?

welp, you give it to google and others already, so where's the problem? what will it do on the API level? drain your credit card?

I most certainly do not give my Tesla account login and password to Google and others. What are you referring to?

Someone with your account login information can hijack your account, make purchases on your account, and even remotely unlock, start and steal your car. I’m not saying Octopus is going to do any of that, but if there is a data breach, a bad actor certainly could.

I most certainly do not give my Tesla account login and password to Google and others. What are you referring to?

Someone with your account login information can hijack your account, make purchases on your account, and even remotely unlock, start and steal your car. I’m not saying Octopus is going to do any of that, but if there is a data breach, a bad actor certainly could.
of course you don't ;) I mean google makes chrome, gmail and other free services on the altruistic basis. for sure. obviously, you never encountered situation, when you talk about something or browse for something and then it starts to flood your websites with adds with the exactly same things.. anyway.

You are not giving it per-se - you provide access via API, or authorise Octopus API talk to Tesla API.. it's not that any employee has access to your account credentials, or would have any use either, as this is on API level only. Like logging in to websites with your google/FB/Twitter account for ease of access.

And then go and download google info about yourself. then tell me how many tin foil hats you need.

oh and for sure - this one is not even relevant to you anyway, as this is UK sub-forum and you are in US.

• Funny
Reactions: robmcm and Big Earl
Not convinced by the benefits over and above Go. Not using much other leccy between 23:30 and 5:30 so not likely to be a huge benefit.

The off chance of a few other hours of off peak is a bit difficult to judge.

the savings may not be large, but it *is* a minimum 50% longer off peak period so there will be savings. And any additional hours is just bonus and more likely to hit your active usage times so its only upside.

a smaller upside is this provides demand management so Octopus perhaps can charge at lower CO2 generation times, or cheaper times, or just at times when fewer other cars are charging (making it less likely to need additional generation). Thats not a tangible saving to me but I appreciate the potential macro benefits it can bring.

the only downsides I can see are
1) not having full control over when you charge - but honestly so far its never been remotely an issue for me and its easy for me to change the needed %
2) the previously mentioned Tesla bug which is a PITA as it can lose 4-5% a day if you forget to turn it off.

2 things.

"If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates." You dead sure about that? I was of the understanding that it was only the car that would be charged at off peak, based on just deducting the amount of electric the app reports the car using but everything else would be charged as per normal? If your right, then its a little perk I wasn't aware of.

Switching off the smart charging via the app....easier said than done that. I couldn't even complete the onboarding process on either my pixel 6 pro or my partners samsung s8. Ended up borrowing one of the kids iphones, which did it flawlessly. But since then I've found that I can't toggle the smart charging on or off on my app, it just sits there and doesn't update.

I know its beta, but its blooming annoying. I didn't actually know about the phantom drain. Not noticed any in the week since I started with IO. I drive to work and it sits in the car park for about 12 hours then I drive back and i've been getting home at the same percentage that I always have.

Have parked on the drive today but am not plugged in for a change, so shall see if it uses any in the next 12 hours I guess.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl