Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Switching to Intelligent Octopus is personal choice of course and won't be for everyone. Nevertheless I am extremely happy and whenever solar /battery storage doesn't supply 100% of our needs the 6 hour overnight rate literally covers everything else. If I didn't have a standing charge then my only grid energy peak cost would be from ~45Wh which one of the inverters draws (except when exporting excess to grid which still happens at this time of year).

Let's applaud Greg Jackson for the creative way Octopus has shaken up the UK energy market & I would rather have the one well identified bug in this tariff than the undulating swarm that Tesla surround us with.

2 things.

"If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates." You dead sure about that? I was of the understanding that it was only the car that would be charged at off peak, based on just deducting the amount of electric the app reports the car using but everything else would be charged as per normal? If your right, then its a little perk I wasn't aware of.
Yep, my monthly bill clearly shows all the extra periods outside of 23.30-05.30, all at £0.05kWh regardless of what else the house might be drawing at the time.

• Informative
Reactions: Billbrown1982
2 things.

"If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates." You dead sure about that? I was of the understanding that it was only the car that would be charged at off peak, based on just deducting the amount of electric the app reports the car using but everything else would be charged as per normal? If your right, then its a little perk I wasn't aware of.

Switching off the smart charging via the app....easier said than done that. I couldn't even complete the onboarding process on either my pixel 6 pro or my partners samsung s8. Ended up borrowing one of the kids iphones, which did it flawlessly. But since then I've found that I can't toggle the smart charging on or off on my app, it just sits there and doesn't update.

I know its beta, but its blooming annoying. I didn't actually know about the phantom drain. Not noticed any in the week since I started with IO. I drive to work and it sits in the car park for about 12 hours then I drive back and i've been getting home at the same percentage that I always have.

Have parked on the drive today but am not plugged in for a change, so shall see if it uses any in the next 12 hours I guess.
It actually works. But on android I enrolled in two days. Then since app is on two devices I had this issue with toggle. Sorted only when uninstalled from iphone and stayed with Android only. I have Pixel 4a 5g btw.

Regarding price: well yes, because your charger and whole household is on the single meter. How will it differentiate?

It actually works. But on android I enrolled in two days. Then since app is on two devices I had this issue with toggle. Sorted only when uninstalled from iphone and stayed with Android only. I have Pixel 4a 5g btw.

Regarding price: well yes, because your charger and whole household is on the single meter. How will it differentiate?

Weird...I uninstalled the app from her phone as soon as i'd finished enrolling....I have since registered for the beta of the Octopus app mind, and have had 3 or 4 updates since...I just tried the toggle (probably should have done that before I started this conversation lol) and it now seems to work.

I've just not had to use it so far.

Also, just logged into Tessie and it doesn't seem to be sleeping after all...been parked on the drive since 4pm and its been awake...only lost 3% though. Maybe I need to get in the habit of plugging it in. Wasn't planning on charging it until tomorrow though. Or switch off the app control for now. Either or.

Doesn't matter away from home as I have sentry mode on there regardless.

Does it use any power outside of the IO window? Tesla encourages plugging in as often as possible and it’s also useful to be plugged in for pre-heating/conditioning the car so as not to use the battery but I assume it won’t allow draw once scheduled charging is complete even if plugged in?

Similarly, what happens once charged to say 80% and then normal drain drops the charge level down to 79%?

Thanks for the FAQ regardless!

Weird...I uninstalled the app from her phone as soon as i'd finished enrolling....I have since registered for the beta of the Octopus app mind, and have had 3 or 4 updates since...I just tried the toggle (probably should have done that before I started this conversation lol) and it now seems to work.

I've just not had to use it so far.

Also, just logged into Tessie and it doesn't seem to be sleeping after all...been parked on the drive since 4pm and its been awake...only lost 3% though. Maybe I need to get in the habit of plugging it in. Wasn't planning on charging it until tomorrow though. Or switch off the app control for now. Either or.

Doesn't matter away from home as I have sentry mode on there regardless.
So turn it off on app, kill/close app, relaunch and check if it is disabled after relaunch.

Then allow car to sleep in one hour. You will see it in tessie.

But 3% loss since 4pm is too much.

I always disable it.

You can always revoke permission to io via tesla account by changing pass ( i think) and tocadd IO app again from scratch

Does it use any power outside of the IO window? Tesla encourages plugging in as often as possible and it’s also useful to be plugged in for pre-heating/conditioning the car so as not to use the battery but I assume it won’t allow draw once scheduled charging is complete even if plugged in?

Similarly, what happens once charged to say 80% and then normal drain drops the charge level down to 79%?

Thanks for the FAQ regardless!
Yes and yes essentialy

Reactions: JamiePP
Does it use any power outside of the IO window?
It will poll the battery and reschedule a slot for the following day to maintain the target charge. The full window is 17:00-11:00, but some Android users on here have reported getting off-peak schedules sent to them all day. I can't verify that as I'm on iOS.

Reactions: JamiePP
Can i sign up and just turn off the smart charging feature, or only use it intermittently, and use it like Go, or will they tell me off?
I suppose my usage currently falls into the 'intermittent' category but for very specific reasons (ie IO was only used once during June because at this time of year there is usually sufficient solar generation).

If Octopus did decide to analyse my account it would show very little grid usage for many months of the year & I also registered that fact with them when moving to variable direct debit in 2019 so they already understand the reasons why IO is predominantly used in winter.

If they did notice high levels of charging 23.30-05.30 with IO disabled they would probably be within their rights to question and possibly move to another tariff (given the need to resource for large numbers of additional transferred customers and other tariff/price cap issues I doubt that would be a high priority for them at the moment though).

I wouldn't regard using IO as an extended Go tariff as falling within the definition of 'fair use' because it's designed to benefit the grid using variable surplus supply and in turn benefits both Octopus and ourselves with lower cost for specific periods.

Reactions: Kenners
I do wonder how long this is going to last, or whether Octopus will eventually change things up.

But I plugged my car in a few hours ago, has about 30% it needs to charge by half 12 tomorrow.

Octopus has decided to charge it between 7am and 11am

So I get cheap electric from 23:30 to 05:30 and then also from 7-11? Nice ;)

I do wonder how long this is going to last, or whether Octopus will eventually change things up.

But I plugged my car in a few hours ago, has about 30% it needs to charge by half 12 tomorrow.

Octopus has decided to charge it between 7am and 11am

So I get cheap electric from 23:30 to 05:30 and then also from 7-11? Nice ;)
Me too. I only need a small top up, but all three of my slots are post 5:30am. Grid balancing in action!

Hmmm and IA shows its first bug. It seems to have randomly started charging my car at 10pm, even though the app still shows its scheduled for tomorrow. I didn't see a notification from the car either, so its been charging up until just now, when I got a notification to say the car was at 100%

Its set to charge to 90%....so yeah. Great. Hope that I'm at least only paying the off peak rate for it but somehow I doubt it.

Can i sign up and just turn off the smart charging feature, or only use it intermittently, and use it like Go, or will they tell me off?
Think so, but I too would appreciate clarification from someone who uses the tariff.

Also, can someone confirm that if disabled then we only get the 6 hours. When enabled, the extra slots could be scheduled. Is that correct?

BTW, great thread. At the outset I was definitely going to remain on Go, but now I’m seriously considering changing once my fixed expires in September. All thanks to this thread.

Think so, but I too would appreciate clarification from someone who uses the tariff.

Also, can someone confirm that if disabled then we only get the 6 hours. When enabled, the extra slots could be scheduled. Is that correct?

BTW, great thread. At the outset I was definitely going to remain on Go, but now I’m seriously considering changing once my fixed expires in September. All thanks to this thread.
Pretty much covered by this post.

I've never really understood the concept of not plugging in when you're at home. It takes so little time, probably about the same as disabling the smart charging in the app, so why not just plug in every time. I plug in even if I've only been a few miles down the road and back.
I have to back into my driveway to plug in, but I live on a busy road which makes the reversing part difficult when I have cars behind me as I approach my driveway. So I only do it when I need a charge (which isn't that often because I don't drive that much).

Reactions: Garry TheBiz
I've never really understood the concept of not plugging in when you're at home. It takes so little time, probably about the same as disabling the smart charging in the app, so why not just plug in every time. I plug in even if I've only been a few miles down the road and back.
I think the opposite. My car rarely needs charging more than once a week so why bother? I charge it to 80% then use it until it gets down to about 30-40 and then charge again. Really surprised to hear that there are people who plug in every evening no matter what.
Also I don’t always park on the driveway as it’s a faf getting it I and out and one of the other cars might be there anyway.

Reactions: Mrklaw
I think the opposite. My car rarely needs charging more than once a week so why bother? I charge it to 80% then use it until it gets down to about 30-40 and then charge again. Really surprised to hear that there are people who plug in every evening no matter what.
Also I don’t always park on the driveway as it’s a faf getting it I and out and one of the other cars might be there anyway.
it's probably for the reasons that if I at any moment suddenly need to drive 100 miles I would have enough charge to do that.
I also prefer to top up 7 kwh every day than 50 kwh in one night. just probably some sort of risk mitigation that in case charger fries, I am more or less covered anyway rather than try to use the granny to top up from 30 to 80...