Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the opposite. My car rarely needs charging more than once a week so why bother? I charge it to 80% then use it until it gets down to about 30-40 and then charge again. Really surprised to hear that there are people who plug in every evening no matter what.
Also I don’t always park on the driveway as it’s a faf getting it I and out and one of the other cars might be there anyway.

I'm beginning to appreciate some people only travel low mileages which are fairly predictable. I don't know from one day to the next whether I'll be doing 3 miles to work and back, or heading up and down country. Because of this unpredictability, I always want to start my working day with 80% capacity.

I do have the benefit of parking on the drive every night, which I guess makes it easier for me to plug in

How did you manage to shift so much consumption? Timed dishwasher / washing machines, that kind of thing? I worry that'd disturb the household in the middle of the night!
Only 50%? As I have two Powerwalls, I've been able to shift all consumption into the 4 hour GO period; Having 6 hours of cheap power looks attractive. I will investigate further when my GO contract expires.

Only 50%? As I have two Powerwalls, I've been able to shift all consumption into the 4 hour GO period; Having 6 hours of cheap power looks attractive. I will investigate further when my GO contract expires.
Powerwalls are an interesting one for IO.

Because I can locally control my battery with MQTT and Home Assistant, I I have a script to tell my battery not to discharge in the extra HH slots allocated outside the 23:30-05:30 window.

Powerwalls would be more challenging as Tesla isn't so keen on users having that kind of control.

Whether discharging from your PW to fill your car battery from time to time would be an issue to you is another question.

Whether discharging from your PW to fill your car battery from time to time would be an issue to you is another question.
I do not discharge my PWs into my car; I either charge the EVs with free power from excess solar or I use the 4hr GO window to charge at 5p/kWhr. I should add that today's power cost was 48p, and that includes the 25p standing charge. Excess solar charged the PWs for free yesterday (and today).

So another bit if advice fir those switching to IO. Begin you switch with a few days to spare. I left it till 3 days before and because I couldn't get the test charge sorted out. As my Go tariff expired I was moved onto a much more expensive tariff.
Now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I can't switch to IO, I think because of the address discrepancy I've previously mentioned, I can't switch to Go because of the onboarding process for IO and I'm struggling with customer services to get them to understand what's going on as the IO team work from smart@ octopus amd the Go team work from Hello@ octopus.

Start the switch before your old rate runs out.. in fact if I knew then what I know now, I'd have signed up for another year of Go and then tried to switch to IO.
And yes I realise IO is a beta product which is why I'm not complaining more vociferously about it, it'll get sorted out.
I just thought that this might help someone else who is about to go through the same process.

Reactions: Astrape
So another bit if advice fir those switching to IO. Begin you switch with a few days to spare. I left it till 3 days before and because I couldn't get the test charge sorted out. As my Go tariff expired I was moved onto a much more expensive tariff.
Now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I can't switch to IO, I think because of the address discrepancy I've previously mentioned, I can't switch to Go because of the onboarding process for IO and I'm struggling with customer services to get them to understand what's going on as the IO team work from smart@ octopus amd the Go team work from Hello@ octopus.

Start the switch before your old rate runs out.. in fact if I knew then what I know now, I'd have signed up for another year of Go and then tried to switch to IO.
And yes I realise IO is a beta product which is why I'm not complaining more vociferously about it, it'll get sorted out.
I just thought that this might help someone else who is about to go through the same process.
Submit a formal complaint. Follow the process. It will get resolved in your favour.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I just switched to intelligent as go running out and found it painless. All in the Octopus app, did the test charge, and that worked ok and that seemed to be it. Luckily on 34.5p peak, rather than 40p. But coming off 5/14.5p its a but of an increase. On the positive side no petrol to pay for!

As for the charging, well first one worked ok, in that it charged. But I found the car at 76% when it woke up having been charged to 80% a couple of hours prior. So not sure what it is doing. Will keep an eye on it. If it doesn't work will just turn the smart charge if and revert to the timer in the car a la Go.

Not sure if there is anyway to monitor without tripping up the Octopus connection?

IO won't work for you then. If you have batteries you need some mechanism to be able to stop them from discharging outside of the fixed window.
Not sure I understand that as by default, the PWs charge in the cheap period (unless I've stored sufficient solar), and discharge in the expensive period if there is no excess solar. I will speak to Octopus nearer the time.

Lately, my IO seems to be giving me less than the 6 hours, for example, tonight's schedule is 02.30 - 06.00. Any thoughts as to why? I've recently done much shorter trips than usual, so the car has only been topping up ~5% overnight to get to the 80% I loke to keep it at.

Tonight is one of the rare occasions I need to charge to 100% as I have a long trip tomorrow. 3.5 hours should be enough to complete the charge but its confusing as to why I'm not getting the advertised time frame as a minimum.

Lately, my IO seems to be giving me less than the 6 hours, for example, tonight's schedule is 02.30 - 06.00. Any thoughts as to why? I've recently done much shorter trips than usual, so the car has only been topping up ~5% overnight to get to the 80% I loke to keep it at.

Tonight is one of the rare occasions I need to charge to 100% as I have a long trip tomorrow. 3.5 hours should be enough to complete the charge but its confusing as to why I'm not getting the advertised time frame as a minimum.

IO calculates how much time it needs to reach a desired charge level and SCHEDULES your charges, in order to achieve the target SOC in the 6 hr window.

You are still getting 6 hrs of off-peak rates regardless

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
Your question is answered in the OP.

Reactions: btc1k
won't IO will be off peak 23:30 - 5:30 regardless if car is charging or not?!
Yes, but when IO is scheduling extra charging slots, a Powerwall doesn't know about them. So when charging occurs outside any fixed window you've excluded in your PW settings, then it's going to discharge your battery first. You need to be able to interact with the IO API.

Most of the time, you never want to charge your car from your house battery.